Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Rack Journal

Back with an update as promised, going to be a BIG one... Will start with the not so good stuff, and move onto the better stuff

Firstly - biggest issue encountered since the rack restart... My Apistogramma Paucisquamis seem to have developed some kind of infection, seemingly bacterial. I've been treating them for the past week or so but am not 100% sure if it is working or not, though things are looking better than they were a week ago...My male A. Paucisquamis developed what looked like a white film to his entire body, his colours still seemed strong but below this "film". Kind of like a cloudy body I guess. This covered his entire body + his eyes. I treated with tri sulfa to begin with, and he looked a little better but still not quite what he used to be and eyes still cloudy. I did a water change and redosed after 48 hours, and 48 hours later he was still not 100%. Hiding away, not eating, etc. S i did another water change and dosed Tetra Cycline, a little more aggressive than the tri sulfa but i did not want to lose the fish. It has now been 48 hours since treatment roughly and he is looking better, but still doesnt look 100% to me. But i could be imagining things, he is a LOT better than he was a week ago though. His body colour is not quite as dark as it used to be but he doesnt appear to have a cloudy/white film to his body and colours are generally strong but his body is mostly white instead of dark (doesnt appear to be a film though), eyes have a small amount of cloudyness right in the center but i'm hoping this will clear up with some more time and clean water. He is now also eating reasonably well. I will keep an eye on them and no redose until I feel it is necessary. During this whole time the female developed a few frayed fins and a bit on her head but this didnt take too long to heal and she continued to eat the entire time. Today they have been displaying to eachother, including the male which was not happening the past week or so as the male was really skittish. Fingers crossed for a full recovery from here on out and some more fry.

The issues above (i think) caused me to lose eall the apisto fry I isolated the fry from that breeder box that was attached the Paucisquamis tank and have not done anything with them yet. I am not sure if i should treat or not... Maybe a few drops of meth blue? THere is 5-6 corydora fry in there, and 1 Paucisquamis fry left. They are around 2 weeks old now. I'm a little afraid to put them back onto any tanks incase it causes bacterial infection to spread to that tank so they'll be in the isolated container for a while...

Worst part of all of this is I think i caused the problem I had been a bit absent minded due to some personal stuff and used straight tap water (with prime, etc) for water changes 2 weeks ina row (1 per week) which caused a rise in pH up to 7.6 from their usual 5.5-6pH which they would not do as well in. My assumption is this caused some immunity issues and triggered the bacterial infection to sprout. I've since then (in the process of treatment) reduced the pH back to 5.5-6pH. Rookie mistake really.

This is him last night - note the cloudy eye but body colours looking solid.

The final bad story for this post is that today I discovered my male Rubra dead I am not sure what happened as they were doing spawning embraces the past 2-3 days, if they did not already spawn... The male had been hiding away for the last day but i thought they had spawned and he was hiding away to protect himself/the fry. Ill (hopefully) be picking a replacement male tomorrow though so good news there at least. He was a really nice fish, shame to have lost him

Bonus 'bad' story is that it appears i've reached the upper limit of the LP20 air pump! Running something like 30-35ish lines right now... I'll likely upgrade to an LP40 and keep the LP20 for the fry rack which I have planned in future.

And enough with the sad stories, bring on the good stuff they say! The crowd goes wild!

The fish rack as it sits as of a few days ago, the only real difference is that the top left (new) fry tank has been filled!

Apistogramma Trifaciata spawned again on 10/4/18, and it was a good sized batch. 3 days later they hatched into wriggler stage. I guesstimate that there is something like 100 fry in there, i expect they will end upw ith 50+ free swimming fry in the end similar to previous batch. I'll be taking another 20-30 fry for myself a day before i expect them to go free swimming (plan to take them tomorrow or monday) and letting the parents do their thing again with the rest. The pair is one of my best apisto pairs i've had to date. The female is very good at protecting her cave/fry, even going as far as moving out the 10+ cm bulky L397 male out of his log haha. The male protects a larger area and helps the female keep all fish away from their babies. I've rearranged their tank to move the caves to opposite sides of the tank, and used driftwood to break up line of sight between these.

Apistogramma Trifaciata fry hanging around an alder cone. AKA. Party at the alder cone!

Betta Albimarginata male dropped his mouth full of fry into the tank the day i was planning to move him to an external breeder box to drop in peace. On the 11/4/18 he dropped (i think) about 15 fry into the tank, of which i managed to catch 13 before losing the other 2 in the tank and never spotting them again... This is a pretty good sized batch, especially for a first time spawn. He held for approx 10-12 days. Fry pics in previous posts THeir fry is fairly good in size (approx 5mm or so in length) from day 1 and are big enough for BBS from day 1.

Male a few hours prior to dropping fry:

Male with bulging mouth a few hours prior to dropping (he could barely keep his mouth closed so i knew he wasnt far off):

Collected fry:

Apistogramma Macmasteri have been growing fast, and getting quite fat (thanks to blackworms... haha) and the male is almost twice the size and thickness of when i got him recently. They will be (hopefully) sold tomorrow, and their tank will be used for a pair of Apistogramma erythrura (aka 'rio mamore') early next week (hopefully). I have to make room for rare apistos after all

The Emerald Tiger Danios were not giving me any eggs for a few weeks, well i suspect their eggs were being gorged on by the (Fat) LG6. I was collecting about 4-5 eggs on average every day or 2 for a week or so before i finally decided to put the mop into a take away container instead of on the tank floor. This was the past 2 days have been... record breaking for me haha. Tonight i collected 100 eggs but last night i collected 130 eggs. Yes 130! You read that right! This is a record (by a LONG shot) for me. Previous record was something like 50 eggs from memory. From this 130, only 5 ended up infertile. So right now i have ~220 eggs!

Not a great pic but gives you an idea... Someone wnat to count the visible ones? haha.

I moved the A. Niggripins RK99 into a 10L container for breeding as I suspected that the dwarf cories were eating their eggs and the killies were likely eating the dwarf cory eggs/fry. Have been in here about a week now, willgive them anotehr week before collecting fry. Their tank consists of a custom peat container (3d printed) which is 100x100mm and about 40mm tall inside with a angled "lip" t help keep peat inside when they are excitedly spawning, a floating mop (for the female to hide in when needed) and a 3d printed filter with cycled ceramic noodles.

I picked up a few Golden Mystery Snails as a test for helping keep fry tanks/container clean, and they have been doing a great job so far. I will be sourcing a bunch of small ones instead of the big ones I have right now, and using these small ones in external breeder boxes while the big ones will go into the fry tanks on top shelf.

This is a pic of the 10L containers i originally setup, there is now 1 extra with the potential infected fry to keep the misolated. All are drilled to allow a 4mm air line to drain the container. I have however specially designed and printed something for this, pics to come further down the post. One of them is currently holding a bunch of black worms which didnt fit into the 3 breeder boxes I set up for them. There is approx 150 ml of worms in here, i've been feeding them algae wafers, and they have a few dried leaves. I'll be trying to source some mulberry leaves which will be better and cleaner with less chance of over feeding and crashing the 'culture' (i'm not trying to culture htem, just keep them healthy and nutritious until they are all fed.

I picked up 6 more external breed boxes which will be the final ones to give me 1 external breeder for each tank on the rack. These are an invaluable resource for me, especially now with the egg/fry numbers increasing weekly. Thanks to Aquaristic for giving me a nice bulk discount on these. My grindal worm cultures crashed recently, so the 3 containers on top are fresh cultures.

For a little sneak peak, for anyone who reads this far in... I have some nice rare fish coming in the next couple of weeks, just waiting for the source to be 100% happy that the fish are sexed, as they are a bit young still...

I have a pair of Apistogramma Barlowi coming, these are still quite rare. I have not seen them around for quite some time unfortunately so am excited to get them and hopefully spawn them! I also have a trio of N. Cardinalis coming soon hopefully, these are a super pretty and also rare annual killifish.

Thats about it fish wise so i'll stop this post here and post another for more, which will be mostly 3D print related bits and pieces for the rack! Stay tuned.
    Last edited by indir; 15-04-18 at 01:22 AM.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Part 2 of the BIG update! Haha. This one is pretty much a bunch of 3D printed parts custom designed for the tanks/rack

Lets start of with one for Grubs I've developed the IEOB (Indir External Overflow Box) further, and found a way to 3D print a fine mesh instead of using Stainless Steel mesh. I found the SS mesh will start to clog more and more, eventually even after cleaning under the tap. The new mesh screen is fully 3D printed, so no gluing a mesh on and is small enough to not allow any of my fry through (The smallest of which is new born rainbowfish fry) while still allowing water flow through nicely so should see less clogging and easier cleaning (thats the theory at least).

Its a bit hard to tell exactly how wide the holes are, but i am guesstimating around 0.5mm:

I also used this new method to make some small "nets" which i am using to catch fry from external breeder boxes. Which was annoying previously with a normal net as they are bigger, flexible nets etc so fry can get stuck/hurt and so on. These have been great so far. I have 2 mesh sizes, a fine one for small fry and a slightly larger one for larger fry. The mesh area is 50x50mm long, with a handle of 100mm that can be expanded (which i have not needed yet).

I've developed a mod for the uplift tube on the clone external breeder boxes to help improve flow and match them with the way the aquamantra version does their thing. This would also work for the aquamantra uplift tube, as i found the air stone in my old ones clogged up and not working as expected. This essentially allows me to fit a 25mm tall air stone onto the end of the air line which will help produce finer bubbles, and an increased uplift for increased flow. WOrks well so far

On the idea of the biggest killie and cory breeders in Australia He is on this forum as killieorcory but not sure how active he is. Anyway, it is essentially a fry hideout, the idea behind it is for cory fry to have an area to hide away from parents who will not be able to get in or catch them within here to eat them. It is approximately 50x50mm (but can be expanded larger) and about 5mm tall.

And finally i found the 4mm airline WAY to slow to drain/fill the 10L containers, literally taking 5-10 minutes to drain 5-6L from the container... To damn slow. I've decided to up this to an 8mm vinyl tube instead, to do this i had to custom design a "bulkhead" for the 10L container. I have just filled one up, but it had a small leak so i decided to use super glue to stop the leak. In future i will probably use silicon, or change the design for a tigther friction fit as the leak is coming between the tube and "bulkhead". I've designed it with a screw thread on the bulkhead so that it can help form a tight seal without a rubber gasket (which would be ideal, but i dont have TPU filament which would mimic rubber). I've also designed a strainer for the tube on the inside of the container to prevent fish going down the drain, and i also design a plug end with a screw in plug to seal the tube when i am not doing a water change. The final stage of this will be to design a reducer from the 13mm irrigation tube (from the tap) to the 8mm tube to fill the container directly from tap instead of buckets. I have not designed the final step yet as i wanted to get the bulkhead part working first.

Thats it! Huge update done! Hope you enjoyed the content.

I hope people are finding some of this useful, i enjoy the documentation/photography/etc as much as the hobby i guess. It's interesting to come back later , and really useful for helping make decisions etc. I hope you guys are finding this useful too!

As usual, thank you for following along and hope you enjoy!
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Going nuts on the 3D printer - I love it. Do you lift the fry out of the water using the "fry nets" or use them in water to move fry into a small container before lifting out of the tank?

haha I need holidays to read such big updates! But love it!
    Glad to hear the paucis are doing better, hopefully will fully recover by the sound of it. Bummer on the rubra male too I can't wait to see pictures of those new apistos and the killies!

Have you printed s holder for bbs using a micro mesh ?
    Im just a little bit crazy

@grubs - I lift fry out of water, have never had any issues with this. New born fry are generally moved with pipettes though so never exposed to air. Its mostly moving fry from external breeder box to tank that I use these.

@DDM - Lucky its a weekend Haha.

@Noddy65 - What od you mean by a holder for bbs? I have printed a sieve to collect BBS from the hatchery if thats what you mean. See pic:

Yes that’s it... nice
    Im just a little bit crazy

This thread is almost too good. Love ya work @Indir.

Thanks Rebel. Appreciate the kind words and time taken to post from you and the others

I'll be aiming to make this thread better and better, though it is getting huge....

I reckon a ebook may be a good idea. Put it on Amazon.

can u 3d print me a gf plz :')

@Rebel - eBook too much effort vs a website haha. Yes i know i keep saying its in the works... patience. Haha.

@LOD - Hope she doesnt read your posts man Hahaha

Finally managed to get a photo of the Trifaciata male in a good position so just a few more pics!

Male Apistogramma Trifaciata displaying:

Female Trifaciata with fry under her:

A. Trifaciata fry - 1 day old:

Nice pics indeed. I can see the triple lines that they have been named after.

Subtle differences between an orange or double red perhaps?

very nice photos as always, how do you get the photos with a black background? Do you edit in the black background or use a backdrop or something?

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast