Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding Rack Journal

I tried all different sizes, openings, etc. and it made bugger all difference.

I have a couple of Anubias on a piece of wood which I had wedged in the roots of the large wood. She has excavated out underneath.
    Whatever

Another small update No pics of any of the fish yet, the new ones are skittish still so haven't got any good pics of them to post. Just phone pics for now. I did however end up with a couple of new fish... again.... Haha

I can't remember if I posted this last time but I picked up a male Emerald Tiger Danio last time I was at the LFS (when i got the corys and annual killifish), and it was the last one left in the tank but it was a male haha. That male has since spawned a few times with my spare females. Not in large numbers as he isa young/small male but hey atleast i now have 2 trios of the ETD to work with.

I bought a pair of Fundulopanchax Sjoestedti Niger Delta from a private breeder and they arrived the other day and are a very pretty fish. They are also one of the larger species of killifish with males growing to about 12cm on average. They are awesome though... Female is as usual very plain and boring though haha.

I also went to the LFS just to check out what they have (its a new one in my area, and is clean, etc but not too many fish that interest me yet) and spotted some BIG corydoras that were not labelled. I believe they are Corydoras Duplicareus and they stood out quite nicely for me with the fluro orange head/nape colouration. These guys are big, mature fish... like 50-60mm big haha. They were also well priced so I decided to grab a group of 6 to try and breed. The LFS also had BIG sterbai corys which I was very tempted to grab but decided on the Duplicareus as I believe they are more uncommon/rare compared to sterbai. Though 2-3 of 7-8 sterbai were BIG very gravid females.... If anyone wants them they were are Golden Aquariums in Campbelltown. haha.

These 2 new species went into the same tank and I have moved all CPDs into a single tank because of my dud male not spawning or when we does its 99% infertile. They will stay in this group setup until i have a coupl eof males to work with at which point ill separate trios to gain a bunch of eggs to raise.

My shellies also spawned again recently (i think it was the 2nd or 3rd time) and the female did a good job of keeping hte male at bay, he was previously very aggressive toward her before and after spawning so one of them ended up eating the eggs quickly. They hatched about 2 days ago or so, so i took the shell in hopes of stealing wrigglers to raise myself (to help ensure next generation) but turns out there was only 1 fry.... Hahaha. Bit of a waste of effort for 1 fry but oh well, i will see what they require this way at least. The fry is fairly large compared to others already, and its still on its yolk sack and in the wriggler stage. I've put it in a tumbler for now.

Fry wise i've got a bunch of ETD but have high mortality rates which i believe is due to the poor infusoria cultures, I hope to get some paramecium from grubs at some point (he is hte only one with some that I know of). I also have about 5-6 P. Luminatus fry hatched out so fingers crossed for some decent survival rates from these guys. As an example of the survival rates I had about 100 fry in a breeder box but have < 20 now that are 2-3 weeks old. Not good at all

I found that my old SS grills glued to the external breeder boxes were getting clogged very fast, probably due to old gunk built up in them so i decided to 3d print some grills instead and have glued SS mesh to a bunch of these so that i can swap them in/out for cleaning. I also 3d printed some lid clips which get lost very easily... Haha. Both work well so far. Ignore the crappy glue job, the rest did not have this issue haha.

Oh and here is a crappy pic of the apistos:

Thanks for following along!
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Hey man,

I think you should start a youtube channel with these adventures. 8 minutes updates twice a week. Not kidding.

Haha too much effort bro I tend to go all out with these as you can tell... So i'll end up doing a full blown video, edited with cinematics and crap... Hahaha.

The text verison also allows me to come back later and read through it for ideas haha. But thanks for the vote of confidence/appreciation
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Get that tripod and make a move.... I reckon we can help you go beyond the magic 1000 subs. The difficulty for you will be keeping it below 8 minutes. :P That DIY guy yaks on about nothing and gets 500k hits nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Get that tripod and make a move.... I reckon we can help you go beyond the magic 1000 subs. The difficulty for you will be keeping it below 8 minutes. :P That DIY guy yaks on about nothing and gets 500k hits nowadays.
    and makes a motza of it.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    I found that my old SS grills glued to the external breeder boxes were getting clogged very fast, probably due to old gunk built up in them so i decided to 3d print some grills instead and have glued SS mesh to a bunch of these so that i can swap them in/out for cleaning. I also 3d printed some lid clips which get lost very easily..
    Have you seen the production screens for these boxes? you could easily 3D print something similar - has 2-3x the screen area of your version and are made such that if the screen blocks entirely they "overflow" down the same chute. They are a 3 sided box with the opening slotting into the grove yous are in with the screen on the floor of the box parallel with (but under) the water surface. The sides of the box part sit below the rim of the main container so if it overflows the water is directed back into the aquarium via the outlet.

You could potentially make the screen area quite big using the full width of the breeding box.

Edit: your screen are great though, and its not like you need an excuse to turn the printer on...
    Last edited by Grubs; 09-02-18 at 10:28 AM.

Haha yeah Joey makes a good chunk of change on Youtube but i'd say its pretty inconsistent for most people. He has a ton of subs though... No youtube for me, atleast in the near future haha.

@grubs - Not sure what you mean unfortunately. Any pics of what your saying? To make it bigger, i'd have ot cut away the plastic that is currently there. To me it kind of sounds like the one your referring to is an internal box? Mine is a hang on side external one with an air uplift tube to bring water from main tank into the box and out again, etc. Maybe i'm misunderstanding...?

EDIT - Unless you mean the mesh screen is actually inside the box itself like a little "overflow" box before it goes through to the outlet section?
    Last edited by indir; 09-02-18 at 10:39 AM.

EDIT - Unless you mean the mesh screen is actually inside the box itself like a little "overflow" box before it goes through to the outlet section?
    correct - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/15...g?v=1512118332

This is the orientation looking down from the top when installed also - the "holder" is the box part I refereed to. the top edge in the pic is the bit that slides into the slot. The screen clips into the underside of the holder and water rises up through the screen then horizontally out the front .

Now I KNOW you can make that ^

Search for "satellite S-5866 gradeup set" - or invest heavily on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sudo-Sta...p/172141549034
    Last edited by Grubs; 09-02-18 at 11:17 AM.

Wouldnt be very difficult to model, i might try making one and see how it works. The only benefit vs mine that I can see is the larger surface area of the mesh.

I suppose another possible benefit is that it wouldnt clog as quickly/often this way since the build up would probably occur on the "holder" since the mesh is under the water surface, right? I suppose it depends how much the gunk floats.

If the screen blocks the floor doesnt get wet, but you are right that if you use floating powder fry food like sera micron it wont float up against the screen so in practice I have never needed to clean the screen. I used to wedge a piece of screen in the groove like yours and found they blocked over time (but mostly I kept knocking them out as they were just stainless mesh flexed into the slot. anyhow... we're over-analysing it now..... like we do on this forum.

I cant see it in the pics but I assume its either not that tall (so water can flow over the top of the "holder" or there is slots cut into the "holder" the same they are cut into the breeder box edge for "emergency" over flow? Have to over analyse haha.

Mine is a replica (almost) of the original gate they come with with SS mesh attached to it haha. Slides in/out easily, etc. I will build yours and test in 1 of the breeder boxes to see how much difference there is between the two and report back. I'll get some pics once I build it too. Probably over the weekend haha.

Mine tend to block over time due to gunk build up, I just need to clean the floors in them more often or get some snails...

not that tall (so water can flow over the top of the "holder"
    yes.

@grubs - Done. The colour is specially for you If anyone if interested in them, let me know

Hard to see in the pics but the mesh is a few mm below the water level, flow is good. The mesh is about 2-2.5 times the size of the original/previous grill version I 3D printed. Will leave them side by side to test the flows, clog rates, etc etc.

The "Indir External Overflow Box" (IEOB) part is in line with the bottom of the original "emergency" overflow slots in the breeder box, so no risk of overflowing onto the floor should this clog. The mesh is easy to remove, replace, etc.

Last edited by indir; 10-02-18 at 06:28 PM.

Oh man that is absolute gold! You must be getting really good at modelling!

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast