Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cryptocoryne: Current Australian Crypt list

If anyone ever runs out of space, or would like another physical location to keep plants in, I'm happy to set up something suitable at my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Unfortunately "in cultivation" just means someone, somewhere is growing it but it doesnt mean they are commercially available. I maintain the list on the basis of my own encounters and reports from forum members. Many of the rare crypts only exist in private collections and they grow so slowly that it can take years before "spares" become available for sale or trade. For C. affinis - I had one given to me 2 years ago - so I know its in the country, but mine died (which is why I want it to try again). I'd love to mass produce some of the rare varieties... but if it was that easy they probably wouldn't fascinate me so much.
    If by mass producing C affinis you mean submersed I remember they were an easy keeper in my youth and everyone had them in Europe. I briefly thought it may be possible to import when I go to Germany this year but even just applying for an import permit would cost 120$ if I read the customs booklet correctly and importing say 10 plants could run into hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocorynus View Post
    Being one of the first crypts in cultivation there have got to be pockets of plants from early imports being grown around the place, it's just locating them that will be the issue. I'm guessing most of these growers will be the early Australian aquarists who either don't currently have contact with many other hobbyists or simply don't know that C. affinis is anything special to get in touch with someone like Grubs to begin with. In saying all this I'm confident that with effort people like Grubs and myself will be able to find some of these plants given time (I have a few possible sources/leads already in mind but for all types of reasons making progress can be slow and/or time-consuming).
    Time to strike up conversations with the elderly neighbours? Probably an aquarium club would be a good place to start. No decent genera aquatic societies in Sydney. Melbourne perhaps?

Thought this would be as good a place to bring it up as any... I've heard that some of the C. aponogetifolia that was around is actually C. crispatula var. balansae, and that this is possibly what you have, Grubs. I'm not sure about the reliability of my source, though. I've also heard that C. auriculata from an earlier import is here and Dad and I should hopefully be following this up later on, I think the plants this person has are few and far between - he might even only have one, I'm not entirely sure (second hand info).
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

No doubt. I've seen red-stemmed balansae as aponogetifolia at club auctions. The plant I grow as C. aponogetifolia came from Dave Wilson and he'd be the first to tell you the IDs are uncertain. It does seems a bit different to me is the bullate leaves are large and crinkly all the way through to the leaf margin, whereas most balanase have a semblance of a straighter leaf margin. You can also see a number (3?) of lateral veins in the leaves more easily than in most balansae. ... but its a highly variable group isnt it.
    Last edited by Grubs; 12-06-17 at 07:34 AM.

Yes, it definitely is! I'll hopefully be getting some C. aponogetifolia from another import to Dave's plants in the next month or so so will be able to compare with you.

Also, to anyone keeping C. sivadasanii, I've been talking to Suwidji Wongso the last few days and have got some information about growing this one emersed as information online about how to do this is very lacking to say the least. The Crypts Pages seems to even allude to that it can't be done. He showed me that he is growing them (maybe 10 plants) in a tightly closed PDPE food container of 22x29x29(high) - beaker culture. He's left the lid on for about six months without misting the whole of that time and he's using boggy conditions. The waterlogged soil and extreme humidity must make the conditions in the beaker culture very similar to submersed conditions. Temp is 23-24C and soil is peat and dolomite until the pH is about slightly acid to neutral. He strongly warned against letting the temperature go above 30C. As for light he's only using one T8 triphosphor tube.

In other news... my C. crispatula var. kubotae ("C. tonkinensis" LCA) flowered and in my opinion the flower seems to point to it being properly identified. Photos can be found: http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...936#post581936
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 16-07-17 at 07:23 PM.

Dad and I were able to obtain a small C. aponogetifolia from a grower here in FNQ (http://i.imgur.com/mdtSDVH.jpg). We believe this is the real C. aponogetifolia. How does it compare to your plant, Grubs? It was brought into Australia in the late 60's to early 70's so I assume it's a different import to the plant Aquagreen has/used to have under the same name. Also worth noting is that we also came across a wide-leaved plant resembling a less bullate C. crispatula variety. It will be interesting to see if this is the "other" C. aponogetifolia I have heard about. We were also able to get from the same grower some C. usteriana and although we didn't get any this time around he said he has a plant he calls "C. beckettii var. latifolia". No info about provenance was given. Any ideas?

We have also found that C. auriculata is alive and relatively well, you'll all be happy to hear. Although we did not see the plant in the flesh, we were able to look at photographs of the same line/import that were taken of it in the past including a photo of it in flower. The C. auriculata is being kept by a friend of the person we saw, with the plant he is keeping a descendant from the photographed plants. This particular C. auriculata has leaves which are mainly white/cream with a small amount of green marmoration (striping/marbling in layman's terms). Only one plant is being grown that I am aware of and it's health, or lack thereof, is somewhat concerning as although it is said to be healthy enough it has not propagated in two years. Fingers crossed some pups become available down the track.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 03-02-18 at 06:56 PM.

It nothing too exciting but I noticed Cryptocoryne petchi is not up there obtained through Aquagreen :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodie75 View Post
    It nothing too exciting but I noticed Cryptocoryne petchi is not up there obtained through Aquagreen :-)
    C. petchii is a triploid form of C. becketii and it is on list
    8x2x3, 8x2x2.5 6x2x2 5x2x2, Echinodorus, Eriocaulons. Native aquatic plant species.

Or do you mean why is it not listed with Aquagreen in brackets after the Latin name as well as Pisces? If that, I'm pretty sure the supplier that is bracketed is the original importer. That was my understanding, anyway...

Also... as of 03/10/17 my C. lucens (C. x willisii 'Lucens') from LCA has turned out to be an extremely pretty form of C. beckettii. I doubt this applies to all C. lucens LCA has sold but I would assume it applies to at least a few other people as well as myself. If anyone's C. lucens is looking unusual and was bought around February 2016 it may be this plant I have. Emersed leaves have a beautiful pink powdering around the margins and along the midrib... a few photos are below.

http://imgur.com/wYSjvHR.jpeg
    http://imgur.com/fJHRODj.jpeg
    http://imgur.com/UFAdug8.jpeg

And now as of 16/10/17 I've found Aquafleur's "C. amicorum" to be C. x willisii. Details can be found here.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 17-10-17 at 12:49 PM.

yes, I realized it was on the list lol cheers guys

Hey Grubs, just a few others to go into the confirmed but not established category:

C. cordata var. grabowskii
    C. keei 'Bau'?
    C. nurii var. raubensis 'Rosen Maiden'
    C. pallidinervia
    C. regina (C. sp. 'Silver Queen')
    C. striolata 'Gunung Besar'
    C. striolata 'Kuching Selatan'
    C. wendtii 'Indonesia' (syn. C. indonesii)
    C. yujii (unknown var.)

... and for the unconfirmed category:

C. nurii var. raubensis 'Luminous Green'
    C. yujii var. hendrikii

Also worth noting is that I've got two very different forms of C. usteriana (one from a grower in Canberra and one from a grower in Queensland). I'm not sure what the plan is when it comes to labelling these on your list. Maybe we can chat through this some time in the future?

That's awesome Crypto. I got a couple of those given to me but they were already in melt down before being planted and didn't recover. Good to see they were not one-off-wonders. I have a nurii that has regressed back to tiny leaves about 2mm long - cant seem to kick it along. I also think I need to repot everything as some of my plants are looking a bit tired.... 40+C doesnt help.

I have a feeling we have got a fair few of them from the same person - a Melbourne-based grower, right? Most are doing well for me after receiving them not very healthy. The only ones that are a bit touch and go and the moment are the C. pallidinervia (which was received as a rhizome with no leaves but appears to be budding now) and C. striolata 'Kuching Selatan' (which I got as a reasonably sized plant but I think put into into a mix which was too alkaline/hard for too long... I may lose it - a section of rotting rhizome already had to be removed). I have been having a lot of success with the 'Rosen Maiden' so far, I'll dig up some info about the conditions I have it in if you would like? I believe it's just in a red dirt, sand and dolomite mix with a root tab and a gravel cap but I'll find out for sure later today or over the next few days. I believe the pH is approx. neutral. Shame about your plants. 40+ is definitely going to take its toll!
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 10-02-18 at 12:27 PM.

A comparison of C. undulata 'Red' (left) and C. undulata 'Red Sun' (right) grown in the same conditions. It would seem like the 'Red Sun' is likely very similar to the 'Red', just from a different location (or possibly cultivar origins?) as it is showing much more vivid striping to the leaves. I'm not sure a flower will allow us to differentiate these two plants as they appear so far to be the same species...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678