Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My makemyled review

Quote Originally Posted by Insipid View Post
    For manual on/off - perhaps you could have 3 modes (a: usual program mode, b: all off all the time and c: all on all the time) and cycle through them via the controller board.
    Good suggestion, switching programs is easy to do. Another alternative is to add an inline switch to each light.

Re the lugs on the TC420, I too don't like them much but it's the way the box is designed, everyone in the world that uses this dimmer has the same problem with cabling. I am working with the manufacturer of this box to improve this in the near future because it is still the best bang for buck auto timer around and I want to keep it as part of product set.

I've also purchased 3 x 4 foot tubes for a 4.5x.2.5x2 foot tank of mine, that had a couple of t8 fluros on it
    2x10k & 1x6.5k, 200w power supply & the TC420 controller

I originally purchased the 2x10k & decided to upgrade with the extra tube

Fred was excellent with his after sales service & allowed me to return the smaller power supply & exchange for a larger one, for the difference in the price

I've tried to get leds to work under the hood of this tank & the leds have always faded/burnt out, due to the moist warm environment, even after i added a couple of computer fans to the hood to add more circulation.

I am very happy with the MakeMyLed system in the tank hood, as they are very easy to fit, power supply has no fan, so is silent, the tanks plants are growing & the fish look great
    Last edited by norfs; 13-08-15 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    I thought this was a mode as both of mine came with this presetting already on them, though I do not have the auto controllers and judging by the few issues OP had, could be an actual issue with his unit.

Chuckmeister does the flashing happen every time the lights come on? Or was it just for the first run?
    It actually seems to have done it just the once on initial turn on (power up). I've left the lights powered overnight and seems everything is working as it should today.

Had a bit of a light trim today to fit my tank properly...

Just a little update... I noticed one of my tanks looking a little ordinary. I'm not sure how long these lights have been out because I'm not really spending alot of time on them at the moment. It could be a month or 12. In any case 2 of these lights have gone on me. Not completely though. Just a section (1 foot or so in the middle of both of them. I have another 2 (on the same system) that have been unplugged for the past 12 that are currently unchecked) Not whinging and cant be bothered sending stuff back. It is what it is.
    One weird thing I have noticed though is that they try and fire (flicker) when the the night cycle is turning down.
    Anyway they partially work and the tank hasn't failed so they live on till death.

Is it under the hood? If so, make sure you ventilate plenty. Otherwise the humidity and heat buildup can get them. Need fans on your hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckmeister View Post
    In any case 2 of these lights have gone on me. Not completely though. Just a section (1 foot or so in the middle of both of them. I have another 2 (on the same system) that have been unplugged for the past 12 that are currently unchecked) Not whinging and cant be bothered sending stuff back. It is what it is. One weird thing I have noticed though is that they try and fire (flicker) when the the night cycle is turning down. Anyway they partially work and the tank hasn't failed so they live on till death.
    Hey Chuckmeister,

I had exactly the same issue with the MML tubes. I sent them back to MakeMyLed and was told by Fred that a driver needs to be replaced.

To be honest, there were no point in fixing it. I should have ordered a new tube from them. In a such case it would have been faster and the price would have been almost the same.

I paid $21 for shipping to Adelaide, plus $12 for shipping from Adelaide back to Sydney, plus $20 for the repair, $53 in total. The new tube on the website costs $54, plus I would have had the half working tube.

As Fred said: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing". I wish I had it.
    Last edited by Neon Tetra; 31-05-18 at 12:44 PM.

I have about 30 feet of MML tubes and a single 1ft segment go dark with a driver fail that was shortly after I got it (faulty component). Fred sent me a driver in the mail. I popped the light apart and soldered it in. quicker and cheaper option if you have the tools/skills.

Hey Grubs, I think the issue is worse when the lights are in a hood. Both heat and humidity will be an issue. Some waterproofing may mitigate some of those issues though.

Just a quick update on my lights. They are not under a hood rather I have them sitting on stands on top of my lids with a front fascia around the tank edging so I cant see the light fittings.
    So, 3 out of my 4 (5 foot) lights have 1 foot sections blown out. I had been noticing for quite some time that my tanks were looking dark but dismissed it as either my eyes,imagination or because my tank was slightly overgrown. So about a month ago I was thinking...geez this is getting worse so had a look and sure enough 3 of my lights are faulty. So I have 3 sections out on 3 lights but it also appears to me at least, that the actual led's are not very bright either. I would expect some burn in dimming to naturally occur on brand new led's but really the lighting on this tank is looking fairly ordinary atm The only other reason I was thinking is maybe with the problems I have that maybe there is not enough power being supplied to whats left working.
    Dunno but they definitely don't look like 6 or 7 hundred dollar lights atm. Anyway you work with what you have so the wood and rocks are in the dark spot and the plants will be shuffled into the lighter areas. The pleco's probably prefer it this way anyway....damn reclusive little buggers :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckmeister View Post
    Just a quick update on my lights. They are not under a hood rather I have them sitting on stands on top of my lids with a front fascia around the tank edging so I cant see the light fittings.
    So, 3 out of my 4 (5 foot) lights have 1 foot sections blown out. I had been noticing for quite some time that my tanks were looking dark but dismissed it as either my eyes,imagination or because my tank was slightly overgrown. So about a month ago I was thinking...geez this is getting worse so had a look and sure enough 3 of my lights are faulty. So I have 3 sections out on 3 lights but it also appears to me at least, that the actual led's are not very bright either. I would expect some burn in dimming to naturally occur on brand new led's but really the lighting on this tank is looking fairly ordinary atm The only other reason I was thinking is maybe with the problems I have that maybe there is not enough power being supplied to whats left working.
    Dunno but they definitely don't look like 6 or 7 hundred dollar lights atm. Anyway you work with what you have so the wood and rocks are in the dark spot and the plants will be shuffled into the lighter areas. The pleco's probably prefer it this way anyway....damn reclusive little buggers :P
    You have some of our early xb tubes with the white boards and add on drivers, we started with these almost 6 years ago and I think you've had yours for 3 or more. They have generally had a good run and we still have many 100's of them out there nearly 6 years old and still chugging along but there are a handful of people who have had problems with these earlier tubes, sometimes heat sometimes moisture and sometimes something else but it seems this same handful have repeat problems and we of course look after them. Our redesigned XB2 boards were designed from the ground up to replace these and they are much more tolerant of external factors. For those with the old style boards though the good news is they can easily be repaired at your end if you're handy with a soldering iron, or our end of you're not, they can actually be repaired forever and the parts are very cheap, shoot me an email if you want to look at doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by makemyled View Post
    For those with the old style boards though the good news is they can easily be repaired at your end if you're handy with a soldering iron, or our end of you're not, they can actually be repaired forever and the parts are very cheap.
    It sounds really promising. How do you remove end caps from the tube? Looks like mine are siliconed or glued.

I'll shoot you an email for self repair. I'm pretty handy having built industrial boats for most of my life but I have to admit never having picked up a soldering iron...how hard can it be!! (or I'll find someone handy with one)
    anyway I just came here to post a vid on my lights and another section has blown out. I'd forgotten that I posted a few weeks back (JD issue :P) but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to have to continuously have to pull these apart for repair. It was a pretty decent investment at the time and in fact would still be today but it seems that each section is failing one after the other.
    Anyway its not life or death..just something that needs to be sorted at some stage...and in the meantime here is my Vid that I was going to post (with a date correction on the description seeing as it has indeed been 36 months instead of 18)

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Tetra View Post
    It sounds really promising. How do you remove end caps from the tube? Looks like mine are siliconed or glued.
    prise the end caps off, lift the splash guard to expose the drivers and leds. There are only 2 components inside, a driver for each bank of 6 leds and the leds themselves. Heat and moisture can affect either of them over time, no different to a lot of other led systems around except these ones can be repaired. Drivers are $2 each and 3W power leds are $1 each.

Thats great Fred. I think its a good solution for the old tubes.

The old ones didnt seem to have water proofing applied.

Is there any waterproofing done with the new tube design with integrated driver?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast