Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: ish Tank rack

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Benb,

Superb diagram!

How about water proofing? Do you guys apply a layer or two to protect from water spillage?

@Henson, what was the thickness of your ply layer?? Where did you get your hardwood from?
    Yes to waterproofing - a couple of nice thick coats of black enamel paint.
    I think the ply was 17mm top and bottom and hardwood was some 40x20 mm blackbutt which I machined down so that the lower layer of the shelf would just allow the cross braces in.
    From memory I'm pretty sure I used 5 strips of hardwood although it shouldn't really matter as they wouldn't be carrying that much of the load. The strength comes from the separation of the ply layers in the same way fibreglass boats use foam core.

On my rack I used a film faced plywood cut to size. Water resistant/proof (water just sits there, and doesnt get sucked into the wood). I've spilled MANY times and had no bowing what so ever in the plywood This was suggested to me by someone else using the RackIT system.

I also run the 2x4 inside the cross bream gaps. If you go to my journal on first page (linked by benb above, thanks by the way ben) you'll see the 2x4 pieces cut to fit into the beams. The plywood lays ontop of this and helps spread the load more evenly onto the beams. I just had to take a small amount off the ends of the 2x4 to fit into the beam space and sit flush with the top surface. To be fair this is definitely over kill on the 3ft and probably even the 4 foot RackIt systems.

i used to use middle of the road bunnings racks, but i used treated pine lengths - grid like - to evenly support the weight of the tanks. the supplied boards are rubbish for water.
    that thing must have supported a total of 300kg of weight over 3 shelves. the middle shelf was a single 3' rainbow tank, easily 150kg on it's own. the rest were all small hatching and holding tanks.
    never had any bowing. it's strength comes from the I-beam shape of the lengths. you could easily flex them forwards and backwards, but not up and down.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    On my rack I used a film faced plywood cut to size. Water resistant/proof (water just sits there, and doesnt get sucked into the wood). I've spilled MANY times and had no bowing what so ever in the plywood This was suggested to me by someone else using the RackIT system.

I also run the 2x4 inside the cross bream gaps. If you go to my journal on first page (linked by benb above, thanks by the way ben) you'll see the 2x4 pieces cut to fit into the beams. The plywood lays ontop of this and helps spread the load more evenly onto the beams. I just had to take a small amount off the ends of the 2x4 to fit into the beam space and sit flush with the top surface. To be fair this is definitely over kill on the 3ft and probably even the 4 foot RackIt systems.

Form ply? Heavy hardwood ply with a black plastic coating?
    Did you do anything with the untreated edges?

@PiL - The galvanised one? The one between the cheaper flimsy stuff and the RackIT system right? They looked decent but i went for RackIt for the higher weight bearing per shelf. I believe those other ones are total weight rating rather than per shelf? Something like that from memory.

That would also work I think? Not 100% sure what the black coating is like on those form ply pieces though. This is like a thin sheet of laminate ontop of the board or something. This is what it is if you'd like to check it out at bunnings:
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite...ywood_p0340319

I didn't do anything for the edges, but it would be a good idea to cover them in something water proof to prevent that area getting wet but I never had any issues to date so no complaints yet

bunning's dont sell it anymore it seems... but yes it was galvanised and full of keyholes. boltless rings a bell? only needed a hammer or mallet to construct.

still in use now as 2 separate work benches.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Yeah rings a bell for sure. Its the one between the cheap crap and the RackIT. Pretty sure made by same guys but the one your talking about is cheaper and has a lower weight per shelf. 300 or something vs the 750 on the RackIt from memory. (I think you can still find them in some bunnings stores, next to the RackIt gear. unsure if its on site still for anyone interested).

I think Rack It is now rated to 1000kg per shelf.

I went to bunnings yesterday to look at their Rack-it system. There is 2 rack-it sizes, 1000 kg per shelf which is 640 mm wide and 400 kg per shelf which is 430 mm wide.
    I'm planning on the 400 kg shelf for a 3 foot rack

Bump, anyone used the 400kg Rack-it stuff? I plan on building a 900mm wide 5 shelf rack for my balcony, have a cheap chrome rack atm with one 2ft tank on the bottom shelf but I dont like the thought of putting tanks on the shelves above, so going to upgrade. Also what is the best method of moving tanks, I dont want to drain them completely, can I drain to about 5cm depth and safely move them without anything supporting the bottom glass?

Pretty sure Indir has a 3 foot rack it system. Check out his rack thread for info.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...nal?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Pretty sure Indir has a 3 foot rack it system. Check out his rack thread for info.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...nal?highlight=
    Cheers I had been following Indir's breeding journal, obviously not from the start tho, just gave it a read, I think that is the more heavy duty "rack-it" system, looks like they now have a 400kg (per shelf) and 1000kg system, the 400kg will be enough surely. Will check it out this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    the 400kg will be enough surely.
    ...says everyone that has to upgrade because the shelves sag in the middle...

Only just saw this, would have saved you the extra reading Mine is the old one that is 1000kg shelf rating. Depending on what you plan to put on the rack, i think the 3ft 400kg would be okay. Just keep in mind this is evenly spread over the whole shelf, not in the middle like people tend to put the tank.

I'd also make sure you bought the shelf bracing and plywood to sit the tank on. I use 2x4s cut to fit between the cross beams to help spread weight. They now have a specific made support brace for this for a few bux, you couldnt fit a 2x4 in the new cross beam I dont think. Depending on tank size it would likel ybe okay, just make sure you run tanks from edge to edge over teh cross beams. I have a 450 deep rack, and run three 450x300x300 tanks. Roughly 40kg each with tank + water + whatever is in the tank. ~120kg over the 3ft rack, spread evenly across the shelf. Don't see why this would cause sagging personally? The larger 4ft + might be an issue as a 4ft tank can be quite heavy

I believe they do a 450 and 500 deep shelf which are rated at 400kg, and the 600 is rated at 1000.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Cheers for the info guys, I only just saw your posts but went ahead and go the 400kg (per shelf) rack - 900 x 400mm, the 1000kg rack only comes in 600mm deep sizes which is to deep for my location.

Anyways its all together and looks good, got ply wood for the shelves, I did buy extra support beams but the cross beams only have slots for 2 support beams per 900mm, It seems stong, may be able to move my tanks over tomorrow afternoon. Here is a pic.

That raises the question about best method to move the tanks, I want to keep a small amount of water in them as I want to keep the fish in them for the moment... will give this a google, I thinking if I drain fairly low remove any heavy rocks, I can lift them, just hope the bottom of the tanks dont blow out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast