Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: ish Tank rack

Default DIY: ish Tank rack

I may or maynot be thinking about a tank rack.....

What do you think of this shelf? Is it feasable/safe??

http://www.bunnings.com.au/shelving-...90014_p2760241

I've seen something similar at Bunnings. If it's the ones I have seen, they are quite solid. 200kg per shelf is enough for a near 3 ft x 12" deep and high tank.
    90 litre and 300 litre journal: http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57087-Ground-Zero-My-venture-into-aquascaping-begins-Now-3-tanks

I have a couple of these racks in the garage. I'd be sceptical of them being able to hold a constant 200Kg. The way the wood sits on the cross brace is also bit dodgy. There is a 2-3 mm of metal overlap, front & back only not the sides. I have had a shelf fall out dropping onto the next shelf down. They're also not that square due to the nature of their construction. YMMV but I wouldn't do it.

If it was me, I'd spend the extra coin and get the imitation long span stuff called 'Rack-It' at Bunnings.

This is what I have in my garage, you can see the long span shelving still doesn't have the wood supported at the ends, just the front & back.

Last edited by jimstreet; 20-06-15 at 04:56 AM.

Costco has a few of these shelves that are apparently industrial grade and fairly strong looking. The best looking one to me was like the black one posted by jimstreet above. If you have a costco membership, go and have a look. They had 2 or 3 different shelving systems when I was there last few times so should still be there.

I have had the wood on the bunnings one sag after a while with much less than 200kg on the shelf. This was a long time, but I assume your tanks will sit on it for a while too...

Did you end up getting a rack? Bunnings have the rack-it systems in a 6ft bundle that claims to be able to hold 1000kg per shelf. They lool really sturdy and the dimensions give you a lot of flexibility for tanks.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rack-it-...r-kit_p2760599

Quote Originally Posted by benb View Post
    Did you end up getting a rack? Bunnings have the rack-it systems in a 6ft bundle that claims to be able to hold 1000kg per shelf. They lool really sturdy and the dimensions give you a lot of flexibility for tanks.

post is over 2 years old benb, dont think he did get one though, seen no mention of it in his posts

Hi Benb,

I have moved once and will move again next year. Currently I have the space but due to temperature fluctutations, haven't bothered setting up a rack. At some stage, I will probably set one up to keep my interest levels up.

@Indir, good tips my man. Hopefully you can setup your rack soon.

Quote Originally Posted by benb View Post

Thanks Rebel.

At the moment it seems like a rack is a great way to be able to play around with lots of different tanks at the same time, without having a mess of them through the house.
    With the Bunnings Rack-it thing you could have heaps of different configurations of tanks on it. Like this:

Last edited by benb; 02-11-17 at 09:52 AM.

I have the 1800 rack system with tanks on it. If I had my chance again I would definitely go with 2 x 900. As it has slightly bowed in the middle. I doubt the 900 would suffer this issue. In fairness to Rackit, I doubt you would notice the bend at all if it was holding typical garage stuff. Its just I can see it because the water levels lean toward the centre lol.

Also I made sure I bought the cross braces, and I also topped their wood with marine ply that sits on top of the metal - I did not like the idea of the shelving spreading and the shelf dropping out. Anyway I had this rack up for about 3 or 4 years I think? And, it has done me well.

Now that look like a well thought out diagram haha. You should be able to find my breeding rack journal on the forum for some ideas/thoughts/my experiences etc. The rack it system works well, but from what I have seen/read online not many recommend running larger than 4 foot rack as it seems to bow over time without reinforcement etc. For those longer lengths the go to seems to be pallet racking which can be had for reasonable prices second hand.

Only thing is to make sure that the 177mm space you've calculated is actually enough for you to reach all areas off the tank, you will be surprised how much of a difference a couple of centimetres makes when doing maintenance or catching fish etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    I have the 1800 rack system with tanks on it. If I had my chance again I would definitely go with 2 x 900. As it has slightly bowed in the middle. I doubt the 900 would suffer this issue. In fairness to Rackit, I doubt you would notice the bend at all if it was holding typical garage stuff. Its just I can see it because the water levels lean toward the centre lol.

Also I made sure I bought the cross braces, and I also topped their wood with marine ply that sits on top of the metal - I did not like the idea of the shelving spreading and the shelf dropping out. Anyway I had this rack up for about 3 or 4 years I think? And, it has done me well.
    I had the same issue of the 1800 bowing but with a beefed up shelf made from 2 sheets of ply separated by 30mm hardwood, I was able to get 500kg + myself on the shelf with absolutely zero deflection.

Quote Originally Posted by henson2476 View Post
    I had the same issue of the 1800 bowing but with a beefed up shelf made from 2 sheets of ply separated by 30mm hardwood, I was able to get 500kg + myself on the shelf with absolutely zero deflection.
    I'll be setting it up again next year (I've just moved house and have to build a new fish room first) might give the double layer thing a go as the rack itself is still in good nick.

Another thing that might be useful for yo guys is to run 2x4s between the shelves to help spread the weight more evenly. I did this on my 900 rack as over kill as I was in a rental but that with the cross braces and and the plywood board would probably be enough to reduce/stop deflection long term.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Now that look like a well thought out diagram haha. You should be able to find my breeding rack journal on the forum for some ideas/thoughts/my experiences etc. The rack it system works well, but from what I have seen/read online not many recommend running larger than 4 foot rack as it seems to bow over time without reinforcement etc. For those longer lengths the go to seems to be pallet racking which can be had for reasonable prices second hand.

Only thing is to make sure that the 177mm space you've calculated is actually enough for you to reach all areas off the tank, you will be surprised how much of a difference a couple of centimetres makes when doing maintenance or catching fish etc etc.
    Thanks indir, I'm looking forward to reading through your Breeding Rack Journal which I've linked in case others want to read it too.

Hi Benb,

Superb diagram!

How about water proofing? Do you guys apply a layer or two to protect from water spillage?

@Henson, what was the thickness of your ply layer?? Where did you get your hardwood from?

@Indir, do you suggest running the 2x4 immediately below the shelf? or as additional weight bearing reinforcements??

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast