Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Waterchange Attachment: The LazyLife Flow Controller

I might just make one myself. LOL

Dropped by Bunnings on the way home and picked up the parts needed. I have less parts as I have gone with 20mm pipe. Will post a photo here once it is finished. I will only be using it to drain water as I am filling it up with filtered water from the filter tap using clear PVC hose.

Hey Reb, nice DIY. You didn't like the inline drain on the outflow from the canister? That way there is no syphoning, no stress about shrimp getting sucked in, new water gets dispersed through the spray bar while the filter is still recirculating warm water and the added benefit of new water running through the inline heater if you have one, plus, no gluing, no cutting of PVC and no PVC.
    90 litre and 300 litre journal: http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57087-Ground-Zero-My-venture-into-aquascaping-begins-Now-3-tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Petetheplantkiller View Post
    Hey Reb, nice DIY. You didn't like the inline drain on the outflow from the canister? That way there is no syphoning, no stress about shrimp getting sucked in, new water gets dispersed through the spray bar while the filter is still recirculating warm water and the added benefit of new water running through the inline heater if you have one, plus, no gluing, no cutting of PVC and no PVC.
    Hotdamn! I forgot about this one. I think might well be a better build. I only recently warmed up to a canister filter. I haven't been game enough to install my new CO2 reactor due to worries about leaks etc. I might have to bite the bullet and have a look at this system as well.

btw I only spent less than $20 on my DIY so no big loss and I gained some DIY karma.

Alrighty.. Here is it in testing phase before gluing.

Final product

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    Dropped by Bunnings on the way home and picked up the parts needed. I have less parts as I have gone with 20mm pipe. Will post a photo here once it is finished. I will only be using it to drain water as I am filling it up with filtered water from the filter tap using clear PVC hose.
    Haha. I am honoured that the king of DIY is replicating this build. Please post pictures and suggest improvements if you have any. Why did you go with 20mm? btw the 15mm has more than enough flow if anyone is wondering.

I will pay someone to make that for me...
    PM me if any one wants to. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Haha. I am honoured that the king of DIY is replicating this build. Please post pictures and suggest improvements if you have any. Why did you go with 20mm? btw the 15mm has more than enough flow if anyone is wondering.
    LOL. I went with 20mm as I couldn't be bothered with reducing bushes etc to fit the hose adapter. I will assemble some of the parts tomorrow and hopefully finish the whole thing by Saturday.

I thought about what Pete did and was going to do that when I swapped from the Nautilus 1100 to the Nautilus 1400 but I do not have room in my cabinet what with the canister filter, reactor and heater plus spare CO2 chlinder all in a cabinet slightly bigger than his.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hotdamn! I forgot about this one. I think might well be a better build. I only recently warmed up to a canister filter. I haven't been game enough to install my new CO2 reactor due to worries about leaks etc. I might have to bite the bullet and have a look at this system as well.

btw I only spent less than $20 on my DIY so no big loss and I gained some DIY karma.
    And you earn brownie points with Tom I didn't know you didn't have a canister. Oops!
    90 litre and 300 litre journal: http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57087-Ground-Zero-My-venture-into-aquascaping-begins-Now-3-tanks

And you earn brownie points with Tom I didn't know you didn't have a canister. Oops!
    Haha. I have a canister now.

I don't care much about the brownies but I'd like to steal his dutch....

hey thats a cool idea!

only issues i have is that my intake sits higher than my water change level..
    my 6 x 2 x 2.5

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57768-Disco-s-new-6-x-2-x-2-5

Quote Originally Posted by disco frank View Post
    hey thats a cool idea!

only issues i have is that my intake sits higher than my water change level..
    Intake piping is cheap mate. Dependant on diameter of your hose, an aqua one 2700 standard intake kit covers 2feet depth, and can be extended. It suits 22/29mm I think. Chat to your LFS and see if they have a model that covers your hose size. Also, you can add to your existing intake using the same size hard pipe and getting a 1" piece of hose to join it. It won't look pretty but it will work. This water change system saves loads of time and mess.
    Last edited by Petetheplantkiller; 22-01-15 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    LOL. I went with 20mm as I couldn't be bothered with reducing bushes etc to fit the hose adapter. I will assemble some of the parts tomorrow and hopefully finish the whole thing by Saturday.

I thought about what Pete did and was going to do that when I swapped from the Nautilus 1100 to the Nautilus 1400 but I do not have room in my cabinet what with the canister filter, reactor and heater plus spare CO2 chlinder all in a cabinet slightly bigger than his.
    Vlad, that is in my AR620 cabinet. The other side has the reactor (4" diameter), 3.5kg Fire extinguisher, power board and timers, solenoid etc. the in line heater is behind the cabinet. You have at least an extra foot to play with

Hi Pete, nope, only 20cm extra width and divided by 2 has 10cm extra width each side. The right side is full of my electronics gear, CO2 cylinder and reg, fish food, ferts etc and the left side has the canister, heater, reactor and spare CO2 cylinder. I thought about having the heater outside but can't be bothered with it until time comes that it needs a major clean out. I have also lost 2cm width, height and depth because of the acoustic tiles.

I assembled and glued some of the parts this morning. Will do the rest this evening. The only differences between mine and Rebels is the use of 20mm pipe and fittings, an additional tap at the top for priming purposes, the use of a Holman tap connector with 3/4" thread to screw directly into the PVC iron adaptor and no Tee at the inlet as I am planning to use my spare Fluval Edge pre-filter to slot over the inlet. Another improvement is the use of suction cups glued to the inner edge of the tap end of the pipe so that it can be suctioned to the glass to secure it in place.

Looking forward to pictures Vlad.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast