Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pilgrimage to the secret gallery of ADA Japan.

Default A pilgrimage to the secret gallery of ADA Japan.

So if you look a few threads down. I mentioned I was going off to Japan. Here I am and it seems like this whole trip has gone by so fast with so many things to keep etched in my mind forever. I will share them with you.

5 days in Japan. One destination to go to. The rest was all up for chance.

My mission was to get to the ADA Gallery in Niigata which is on the north coast of Japan.

Since I landed in the south in Osaka on Thursday, I had a few days to journey.
    Landing in Osaka I took the first train to kyoto. I was met with a local girl who showed me around the city and the amazing temples and streets.

Kyoto city is so tranquil and set the tone for the rest of my trip. I felt really blessed and it was only a few hours into my trip.

Time to head to Tokyo and after a good 3 hour train ride I landed in the busiest place in the world.

Thousands of people stream by and you can see why life is so rushed and crazy in this city. Perhaps this is why the Japanese people appreciate nature so much.

On Friday night I had a plan. I needed to get to Niigata so I arranged to meet my friend in Matsumoto. A small city in the middle of nowhere. From here we will drive to Niigata on Sunday. So on Saturday I took a train to Matsumoto only to realise my friend lived in a neighbouring city.

I managed to hitch a ride with a truck driver who was a woman in her mid 40s. She kindly offered a lift.

30 minutes later and I am united with my friend who offered to drive me to Niigata which was very kind of him. At this point I did not realise that the trip would be close to 600kms round-trip. I cannot emphasise the kindness of the Japanese people. This trip was filled with random blessings.

Sunday morning we finally got there.

ADA!

I had arranged a meet with fellow AquariumLife member and friend Craig. He was there sporting his AL shirt and it was a great experience to share.

I will attempt to answer any questions you may have of this place. I highly recommend the journey to Japan, if not for the culture. food and people, for this and this alone is worth it.

Last edited by Mikeymikemike; 22-07-14 at 05:27 PM.

Dude, these are fabulous. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of those glorious tanks. No wonder aquariums are so popular over there (I know people area little superstitious about it as well).

Does he use MH lights most of the time?

What amazed me was the cleanliness of the pipes to the filters...

Did you by any chance count the BPS of the CO2 units? There are allegations (from Barrmeister) that CO2 rates are downplayed by Amano, especially when the tanks pictures are published.

Amano uses both aquascky LEDs and MH lights. The MH lights sit over tanks that require less lighting, maybe medium lighting plants like anubius, hygro, bolbitus and java fern. The staff do a 35% water change weekly on the tanks. ON new tanks they will do 50% daily.

The MH lights give off a blueish green tinge at around 8000k. This really brings out the darkness of the rocks and the greeness in the plants.

I did in fact count the bps of the co2 and on many of the larger tanks they are using 8+ BPS. this is because they are using diffusers which are not as efficient. You can see a lot of degassing. Some tanks have two diffusers as well (the largest ones do). But the smaller tanks tend to keep co2 flow at normal rates.

High amounts filtration are also employed on the largest of tanks. with 2 canister filters and a sump! This is something i have yet to see them publish.
    ----
    From the inside... The secret buzz from ADA. They are looking into areas of LED lighting. Their aquasky is not outputting the right colours and while they are satisfied with the lights and how they grow plants, they know more can be done to give the plants of more an aesthetic appeal. The problem comes down to LED manufacturers. Hence they are sticking to MH for many of the scapes as they are proven and developed specifically for nature aquarium. One thing to note is that Amano does not tend to use exotic plants or fish. The gallery does not even have a tank with HC or buce, ar mini etc... The plants they use are very common in the hobby and they grow the plants to the best of their ability.

This is of course my interpretation of the conversations we had. Nothing official.

Awesome!

Great pics of both the ADA gallery and Japan. My wife wants to visit Japan or Hawaii (we've been there before and have friends there) and we're tossing between the two. I think you just bumped Japan up the list a bit

Those ADA filters look bad ass! I'm guessing ADA dont have inline reactors which is why all the tanks use ceramic diffusers.

Thanks for posting your pics Mike! Terrific stuff.

pilgrimage is the right word, this is the shrine of aquaria

Having said that through, most tanks are a bit too similar and i've seen a few better ones on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by nautilusly View Post
    pilgrimage is the right word, this is the shrine of aquaria

Having said that through, most tanks are a bit too similar and i've seen a few better ones on this forum
    He only does nature style. If you love rows and red plants, then look elsewhere.

Is there a shop in Sydney who has exhibits as awesome as this? Yes I know EA and AGP have their respective cities covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    He only does nature style. If you love rows and red plants, then look elsewhere.

Is there a shop in Sydney who has exhibits as awesome as this? Yes I know EA and AGP have their respective cities covered.
    not a chance, we dont have anything near this in Sydney... but most the tanks in the photo are either iwagumi or driftwood with stone piled at the base, at bit repetitive for my liking although they all look so healthy and spotless!

Awesome pics mikey n thanks for ninja pics��. So they do 50% water changes for new tank wow.. good to know they get algae too hehehe

Great pics! Family friends are in Japan at the moment as well but arnt into the aquascaping scene which is a shame, would have been an awesome place to see in person. What are the prices for the ADA stuff like mike?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Is there a shop in Sydney who has exhibits as awesome as this?
    Aquaristic is the closest I've seen. It's the most inspiring fish shop in Sydney IMO.

WOW!....great stuff and what great pics mate...
    almost perfect...just needed some pics of the great goldfish in japan too..but hey cant always get what you want
    beautiful pictures mate

Thanks for this thread Mikeymikemike.

I was just talking to the wife today about a trip to Japan next year and mentioned the ADA Gallery as possible destination.

When I showed her your snaps just now she said "OMG... we have to".

Thanks again

Thanks Mikey, certainly a beautiful place. Must remember on my next trip there.
    "From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free."
    Jacques Yves Cousteau, Oceanographer

Great to see all those pics, Mike It was such an amazing experience to share!

My journey to the gallery started off on this double decker "Shinkansen" from Tokyo to Niigata.

The scenery was quite spectacular along the way.

At Niigata station we transferred to the Echigo Line and disembarked at Maki station.

By now we were pretty rural!

I then jumped into a taxi, but the driver didn't speak English. I said, "Nature Aquarium Gallery" and "Takashi Amano", to which he replied, "Amano Tank?". That was close enough! Away we went!

10 minutes later, we were there!

One picture inside the gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast