Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIY inline heater detailed build

Grubs, thanks for the response! I guess the par cost you about $11.30 with out factoring your time ( I don't know what you charge per hour... )

So you just jammed it in without glue? I find it fascinating how it wouldn't leak?????

Friction fit. The Heyco fitting is soft plastic and the hole slightly too small. Put a chamfer on the end of the rod you press in and it just squeezes in. You could also glue... but glue doesn't really stick to the poly anyhow.

Yep, these things are available from most if not plastics factories. Some will have offcuts to sell, some won't and will only sell 1800mm (I have just under that at the moment). These are actually just under 5mm in diameter and I used a 4.5mm drill to drill a straight hole. As I am very cautious about leaks, I sanded the rod and used the high pressure PVC cement to secure it. As I made the rod longer so it juts 10mm out, I then smeared Permatex black silicone at the base in a wedge form to further seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezuri View Post
    I will get some photos soon as I have a few mins he he, looking after my 7 months old daughter ATM
    Go electrical warehouse hasnt got pics of their stuff on their website.
    As far as the clear window, I can't find any clear rod.
    I used a 15mm long piece of acrylic rod from a set of blinds. The clear rod that you turn to open and close blinds fits perfect.

Also +1 on the fitting. Drill hole size smaller then the rod. And tap it in the hole with a hammer so it fits tight. I used a bit of gule at the base just incase (applied with a cotton tip around the base of the rod).

Hey guys,
    Can anyone suggest a good place to buy the cord grip fitting online?

Has anyone tried the no name fittings from eBay or similar?

Thanks
    Last edited by sweefu; 11-01-17 at 08:58 AM.

NPA here in Adelaide sells them. Have you gone to heyco's website to see who sells them in Victoria? If you can't find any, I have a spare. You just have to pay $5 plus postage.

In Melbourne I got them in Nunawading from "QUADOR" - http://www.quador.com.au (NPA distributor)

.. I bought mine in 2007. I didn't remember the name of the business... but I just "drove" there in Google Streetview to get the name

You could try any of the electrical supply chains AWM, Middy's, Delta etc.

Ask for Cable Glands, these are the ones we use for work....

http://www.matelecaustralia.com.au/e...8-cable-glands

I'm tempted to make one of these for the Nano I'm setting up, as the lowest wattage Hydor Inline is 200w! :O

However, I'm tempted to use one of these Aqua One Heaters with a Temperature Probe, and extend the probe wire to run up into the tank if not long enough.

Has anyone had any experience with Aqua One heater?

*Actually, Scrap that, after a minute of thinking, I recall Temperature Probes are calibrated to the resistance of the wire used (length/gauge), so this could throw it out. I may just use a 240v Temperature switch to power an Eheim

Last edited by John.; 14-01-17 at 08:38 PM.

**Immediate Update**

The DIY'er/ Electronics Geek is telling me to use a Temp Controller and wire it up myself @ a cost of around $15-25 in parts.

The boring side of my brain is telling me to use one of these, which also allows for the use of a Chiller in the future.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234