Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY inline heater detailed build

I'm glad to say that Quador was very prompt with the Heyco parts! Yesterday I got a phone call from the accounts department that the parts were ready and I could pay for it. The person sent me an email with bank details so I could make a bank deposit, which I did promptly and sent them an email back with the payment receipt.

Got to work this morning and I have the parts here with me Great service from Quador!

--
    My new tank journal
    https://www.evernote.com/pub/tarciosaraiva/fishtankjournal

Here's mine, pretty much finished.

--
    My new tank journal

Nice. Did not bother with the clear window. Did you and Sparky86 coordinate your efforts, LOL?

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    Nice. Did not bother with the clear window. Did you and Sparky86 coordinate your efforts, LOL?
    Hehe to be quite frank, I haven't had a clue where or how to position the clear window.. at the same time, I figured as long as the temperature gauge is showing the temperature I want, the window feels a "nice to have".

--
    My new tank journal

Looks great! I like the matt paint finish the window is really useful, no window = no knowing if it's on or off.
    I just drilled a hole a size smaller then the piece of acrylic through the band that has 'heyco' printed on it, then put a small bit of glue in there and tapped it in with a hammer.
    I used a piece of the clear rod from window blinds

This is where to put the hole for the light to line up

Hey guys,
    I'm in the process of making my eheim 250w heater inline.
    I didn't purchase a heyco cord grip but I got one from go electrical wholesalers for about $4 their 32mm one fits perfectly to my heater.
    I will not post a build of it since its identical to everyone else's but just putting it out there if anyone has issues getting a cord grip. They sell it and its ip68 rated. I will however let you all know how it goes once the glue sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezuri View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm in the process of making my eheim 250w heater inline.
    I didn't purchase a heyco cord grip but I got one from go electrical wholesalers for about $4 their 32mm one fits perfectly to my heater.
    I will not post a build of it since its identical to everyone else's but just putting it out there if anyone has issues getting a cord grip. They sell it and its ip68 rated. I will however let you all know how it goes once the glue sets.
    Careful to test the 32mm cord grip will be tight enough over the 25.4mm heater wand. As for the clear window, the flange on the heyco, circle by sparky lines up perfectly with the heater light of the eheims.

Hey Vlad thanks for the caution, after closer inspection they are selling it as 32mm connection to the threaded end. The id of the cord grip is 25-26 mm it's a snug tight fit. I am still waiting for the glue to cure before I can test fully.

Hey Vlad thanks for the caution, after closer inspection they are selling it as 32mm connection to the threaded end. The id of the cord grip is 25-26 mm it's a snug tight fit. I am still waiting for the glue to cure before I can test fully.
    No Worries. You doing the clear window? Also, what brand is your cord grip? Is it similar to the Hyeco? Could you post up some close ups or provide links to the product page?

Cheers,
    Vlad

I am also keen on the clear window technique. I don't understand how it fits in to this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I am also keen on the clear window technique. I don't understand how it fits in to this picture.
    It's a circular hole drilled on the hyeco logo then they glue a piece of circular clear acrylic rod into that hole, to see the heater on/off indicator
    Hope that was ur question

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    No Worries. You doing the clear window? Also, what brand is your cord grip? Is it similar to the Hyeco? Could you post up some close ups or provide links to the product page?

Cheers,
    Vlad
    I will get some photos soon as I have a few mins he he, looking after my 7 months old daughter ATM
    Go electrical warehouse hasnt got pics of their stuff on their website.
    As far as the clear window, I can't find any clear rod.
    Last edited by Mezuri; 21-11-14 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Pretty much what Mike said. The clear acrylic rod channels the light from the heater to the outside, much like how the plastic channels channel light to the headlights on toy cars and the old school angel eyes on cars. The flange of the Heyco happens to line up perfectly with the heater light of the Eheims.

You can see it on the one I did for Choco (bottom left of the photo on the flange):

Mine (again on the flange):

Mine lit up to show the heater is running:

As far as the clear window, I can't find any clear rod.
    You'll need to go to a plastics manufacturer or seller. Google is your friend. Looks for "Acrylic Rod". 5mm diameter rod should be < $5/m

I drilled a slightly undersized hole and just pressed in a short length (~10mm) using a vice to make the window. After 7 years its never budged. [Original Post]

FWIW - it doesnt have to be an Eheim Jager heater - I used a cheap no-name on a tank for a while and the hole was close enough to where the light was to see a dim glow in the cupboard.

Last edited by Grubs; 21-11-14 at 09:31 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast