Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY inline heater detailed build

that sucks

did they mention if it came in a model other than threaded? I just had a quick look at their online catalogue and couldn't see one.
    Is the one you currently have npt or bsp?
    I might have to give those guys a call on monday and organise an order if your keen i can put in an order for 2 of them.

also im thinking of adding one of these to the mix to get a better gauge of the tank temp. admittedly not my idea but i think for a couple of extra dollars its well worth it.

search this on google STC-1000 10A 220V Digital Temperature Thermocouple Controller With Sensor
    Last edited by Tom.; 25-07-14 at 04:15 PM.

That controller looks cool. I wouldn't trust myself with 240volts and relays though. Would you put the sensor in the tank and set the heater thermostat to max?

NPA Sells the heyco cord grip for $5. I am about to get one for me_wantee on Monday. Let me know if you want one and I can get it and post to you.

The 8437 is NTP but I had no issues threading onto the 32mm reduccing bush from bunnings which is BSP. I used the pink tape and have not had leaks. Also, there are no non-threaded ones as far as I know. I can ask on Monday if you want.
    Last edited by vladguan; 25-07-14 at 06:10 PM.

This is a very clever and clean build, i will give it a go. Would appreciate some updates of how the heater is performing

Quote Originally Posted by winnalit View Post
    This is a very clever and clean build, i will give it a go. Would appreciate some updates of how the heater is performing

this is mine!

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...heaters!-yes-2

it has 2 x 300w heaters and the temp is much more stable before i had the heaters on the back wall of the tank with a filter outlet passing over them

im thinking in summer/warmer months i could actually disconnect 1 of them and see how it goes, bit too cold here at the moment
    my 6 x 2 x 2.5

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57768-Disco-s-new-6-x-2-x-2-5

I'm pretty happy with how mine is running. The little window to see if it's on or off is very nice to have.

I've found that the heater's thermostat needs to be set at a lower temperature than the intended temperature for the tank. The reason for this is that the warmed water is always being pushed away from the heater, and the water brought to it from the tank will have cooled slightly. My tank runs at 25C and the heater is set to about 22C.

Wobbling the heater will cause a very small leak because the seal is being warped, but if you leave it alone it's fine; no leaks at all. I also put some foam under and around the unit to dampen vibration transmitted through the tubing from the canister motor.

Copy cat, lol. Yeah, the foam padding around the reactor, heater and canister, as well as on the and ceiling of the cabinet quietens the whole thing down a lot.

Vlad that would be great!

Im happy with npt if its worked for everyone else i cant see why it would be any different for me. I was just wondering if they did another type of fitting it was just a thought that maybe another model existed.

I was laying in bed thinking about how I was going to set it up in my cabinet when I worked out I had to glue it in another configuration. So in the morning I cut and chipped the fittings out and re glued it all back together and put an end cap where the Heyco is going and hooked it up to my filter so far so good.

Mawhins
    ill put it in the tank and set it a few degrees above what it normally would be after all I wouldnt want to wire the sensor incorrectly and cook my fish when i get around to doing it ill start a new thread I feel like im hijacking this one.

Vlad
    if you ever need something picked up and shipped from melbourne Im happy to return the favour

Has anyone tried to combine this with the DIY CO2 reactor?
    Take care
    Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Quote Originally Posted by Tom. View Post
    Vlad
    if you ever need something picked up and shipped from melbourne Im happy to return the favour
    Same goes for Sydney. Happy to help out when needed.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by nchanted View Post
    Has anyone tried to combine this with the DIY CO2 reactor?
    You mean all-in-one or one after the other?

There are issues with all in one in that if CO2 builds up, it may expose the heater. Lots of people, me included have done one after the other. My setup is canister outlet to DIY CO2 reactor then to DIY inline heater and finally out to tank.

I'm about to complete mine and just wanted to say for those in Melbourne that need to find the Heyco part, this business has a direct relationship with NPA.

Sent an email to them 15 mins ago and they have already replied with a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    My setup is canister outlet to DIY CO2 reactor then to DIY inline heater and finally out to tank.
    Thanks for that Vlad. Good to know that someone has already done, that's exactly my plan.

Will post pictures when it's done!
    --
    My new tank journal
    https://www.evernote.com/pub/tarciosaraiva/fishtankjournal

May I ask how much they quoted you for the 8437?

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    May I ask how much they quoted you for the 8437?
    Sure.. A$4.43

As far as I remember it's very close NPA pricing - or even the same.
    --
    My new tank journal
    https://www.evernote.com/pub/tarciosaraiva/fishtankjournal

Cool. I guess they bulk ship from NPA so you don't have to pay postage.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast