Thread: Nutrient Deficiency Symptoms

Lightbulb Nutrient Deficiency Symptoms

Warning signs of Nutrient Deficiency

There are several important parts of analysing a nutrient deficiency.

Analyzing plant growth to determine nutrient levels can be an effective way to keep a planted tank running smoothly. In tanks with low growth (tanks with low lighting and without CO2 injection), plants will often show no visible deficiencies. But in high growth tanks with lots of light and with CO2 injection, plants are growing so fast that they can often deplete various nutrients. Even in a high growth tank, you should look at the fastest growing plants to see a deficiency. It would take a week or two for a slow growing anubias to show problems, while fast growing hygro would show the deficiency within a day or two.

When it comes to analyzing nutrient deficiencies, one of the first clues to look at is to determine if the deficiency shows up mainly in old growth, or new growth. This helps to narrow down the nutrient involved. Some nutrients are considered "mobile", which means the plant can re-claim the nutrient from old leaves, and move them to produce new leaves. Deficiency of mobile nutrients will show mainly in old leaves. Other nutrients are immobile, which means the plant can not move them from older leaves. This results in a deficiency which shows up on new leaves. Nutrients which are mobile include: nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. Nutrients which are immobile include : boron, calcium, copper, iron, manganese and sulfur.

Analyzing nutrient deficiencies is never an exact science. Some signs can point to several different nutrients. And in some cases, deficiencies of one nutrient can prevent the plant from properly using ANOTHER nutrient. In addition, the visible signs in cases of extreme nutrient deficiency can be completely different than the clues of a slight nutrient deficiency.

Use the chart below as a starting point, not as the final word.

This information has been allowed to be copied from Chuck Gadds website and is not my own work. Thanks to you Chuck

COMMON SYMPTOMS OF NUTRIENT DEFICIENCY IN AQUATIC PLANTS
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Default Thanks

The chart was very informative. A big thank you.

AWESOME ADD GRAEME,

Thanks for that i have never been bothered to look up and write down what all the symptoms or mineral, trace element etc deficiency are, this has been a real help.

thanks

Thumbs Up Thanks really useful

Thank you this information really helps me in my planted tank.

That's great information Graeme! I was just looking for this sort of info!

Thanks!
    Ben
    Last edited by rahmad; 26-11-09 at 09:51 AM. Reason: I found the link, via googling so i have un-hijacked the thred ;)
    What The pseudomugil Furcatus was that!?

Yeah a thanks from me too. Kind of you to share your efforts and knowledge.
    I have saved the doc - it will prove useful for a long time to come.

thanx Graeme
    this info will be very handly to us newbs. i was infact just looking for something like this

Thanks for that Graeme, as a newbe I am finding it very helpful.

I was lucky enough to have access to a large printer and printed this out on A1
    Very helpful chart

Grraeme
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Hi Graeme,

Great read and very helpful, TY for sharing the info

. ...Leigh

Thumbs Up

Very useful.
    Thank you for sharing

thanks Graeme, some great info I didn't even know I needed. Dirted my tank about a month ago and all plants are growing like crazy but now I'm looking at leaf colour and thinking not all is well in my tank. after reading the chart, I immediately dosed with flourish and flourish excel. not sure if this will help but ill give it a go

Mmm... Table says every nutrient when deficient causes yellowing of leaves????? That makes things hard
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Can someone save the .doc as a .pdf and upload I dont have word

you can do it with http://smallpdf.com/