Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP's Salad Bowl

Default HP's Salad Bowl

Hey guys, thought I might share my salad bowl with you, an emersed setup at home, featuring:

- A wabi kusa style substrate ball with peacock moss, HM and a cryptocoryne
    - Rotala H'Ra/Gia Lai, dwarf hair grass, and java fern
    - Staurogyne repens
    - HM
    - HC

I've been growing this out for a little under 2 months now. Lit by a 5W LED downlight in a DIY lamp. It spends most of the time covered in cling wrap.

Having a problem with fungus gnats. Am using sticky fly paper attached inside the bowl to catch them, which is bringing them under control.

Peacock moss grows great, cryptocoryne is very hardy and love the emersed leaves, the HM develops smaller and rounder leaves that resemble HC...

Staurogyne really looks lovely. I had to rescue these from my tank because they were being eaten...

One staurogyne appears to be budding into a flower...

And the HC is starting to carpet, doing much better than what's in my tank. Many that got dislodged by my SAE and snails were put here...

Ferts are a mix of Flourish Comprehensive with a little KNO3 and KH2PO4. There's some Osmocote in the substrate but I find that too much causes root rot.

Eventually plan on adding some alternanthera reineckii mini.

I have to say, growing emersed is a lot of run, and very addictive!!
    Last edited by Haitchpeasauce; 26-05-14 at 10:11 PM.

Awesome HP! I suppose the ferts are very dilute? I plan on doing something very similar when my tank is on it's feet. I'll use plants out of the tank and will have it on my kitchen bench where it gets a few hours of sunlight during the day. Might use some peat moss and seedling raising mix capped with aquasoil (what emboli's done with his greenhouse).

Keep the updates coming!
    Joe.

Forgive my ignorance... In though all aquarium plants needs to be under water?
    "From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free."
    Jacques Yves Cousteau, Oceanographer

Yeah the ferts are very dilute.

I'm using peat moss and seedling mix in my greenhouse setup, no aqua soil cap. Evi has us all inspired. Early days yet. Aqua soil works fine which is what the salad bowl has.

One warning about the seedling raising mix is to watch out for bugs and fungus. I had little white mites crawling over my soil. Sterilising the soil is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by cybernaut View Post
    Forgive my ignorance... In though all aquarium plants needs to be under water?
    I thought so too, but many (not all) aquarium plants grow both submerged and emersed in the wild, and are often commercially grown emersed.

These plants tend to have different foliage for above water growth, and take time to adapt if taken out of the tank. Indeed, many flower once part of the plant is above the water surface.

High humidity is required either continually or at the start depending on your environment.

Hope this helps!

My plants all dried up because of low humidity. How often do you spray your plants?

Daily or twice daily depending on how diligent I feel.

I cover it with cling wrap to keep the humidity in. With the greenhouse the covers are closed.

I've wondered if I'll ever be free of the cling wrap cover, but 2 months have passed and still don't feel confident to leave it uncovered all day. These plants have a way of looking fine and then in a matter of minutes shriveling up.

Some very nice pictures there HP. I love the crypt growing on the top of the hill. I'm hoping one day you vocab remove that cling wrap and announce that the salad bowl is cling wrap free.
    Can't wait to see the bowl fully carpeted out.
    Click here to view my blog
    Emboli's EHEIM OPAL 100

Salad bowl has come a long way, will post up some photos soon.
    The crypts have flowered! Each one has a single flower.

Here's my emersed vase at work, which has a flowering crypt, HM, and DHG:

Looking great!

So you managed to remove the cling wrap!! I have tried a few times but never been able to get them to acclimatise but my house has low humidity.

Yeah after a while I decided to just take the cling film off, and whatever didn't make it wasn't going to be suited for above-water life anyway.

Staurogyne and AR-mini are average at emersed life.

Crypts, HM, rotala h'ra, java fern, mosses, hygro pinnatifida, DHG, and especially hydrocotyle do well.

UPDATE!

The salad bowl is no more, long live the salad bowl!

I've recently decommissioned my nano tank and converted it into an emersed plants tank.

Now there is more space for more plants (yay!), and get to use the quite powerful LED light I built. Added a clear acrylic lid to keep the humidity in, as well as the fungus gnats (curse them!).

Some of the HC from the nano was added. HC is a really good emersed plant, quite robust.

Also added some dwarf anubias, needle leaf java fern, and a fern I picked from a park.

Last edited by Haitchpeasauce; 11-11-16 at 12:30 PM.

What about those dwarf tiny frogs for some fauna
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Do fungus gnats count?

Some miniature froglets... dinner
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast