Thread: CAPG Meeting

Default CAPG Meeting

Hey All

I attended a CAPG(canberra aquatic plant group) meeting today. It was great to meet with like minded people and talk about plants. John Fleuren talked about his trip to Jan Bastmeyer(who is a world cryptocoryne expert), he also showed some photos of Jan's crypt setup, and how they were being grown and what he was growing them in. The rest of the conversation was pretty casual and very informative. We discussed treating algae, and also treating fungus/rot in emersed plants. Dave and Mirek's name came up a few times(all good things said). We looked at Hans' display tank and his new lighting unit, his display tank is magnificent and has a few fish to compliment it. Hans showed me where he was keeping his crpyts outside and showed the different varieties he had. It was a great meeting(went for 3 hours!!) and anyone in canberra should definetly consider joining and coming along to the meetings. Definetly can't wait for the next meeting.

Cheers
    Michael
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Default Cdas

Mjay, it is good to see you mixing with the aquarists.
    I was a member there back in 1979 up to 1986 when we left Canberra for Broome in WA. You should start writing a few articles for the journal "Tank Talk". One of the stories I wrote for that journal has been put on a web site in Canada, I'll try to find a link. You could write about breeding freshwater crabs. You will most certainly have an undescribed species.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/..._Problems.html

They used to have a breeders register where you could keep a record of the fish you bred, it is good to meet all the other people who keep fish, inverts and plants. Hans, Rene and john have helped me learn how to grow plants. I still cant grow some of the ones they have but it is fun trying.

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 17-03-08 at 03:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Cdas

i've been wanting to join CDAS and have been waiting for there website to be updated for this years meetings, just checked it and it is finally updated for this year, will have to go along to the next meeting.

John, Rene and Hans are all very lovely people with alot of knowledge, it will be great too learn from them.

cheers
    michael

Quote Originally Posted by MJay View Post
    Hey All

I attended a CAPG(canberra aquatic plant group) meeting today. It was great to meet with like minded people and talk about plants. John Fleuren talked about his trip to Jan Bastmeyer(who is a world cryptocoryne expert), he also showed some photos of Jan's crypt setup, and how they were being grown and what he was growing them in. The rest of the conversation was pretty casual and very informative. We discussed treating algae, and also treating fungus/rot in emersed plants. Dave and Mirek's name came up a few times(all good things said). We looked at Hans' display tank and his new lighting unit, his display tank is magnificent and has a few fish to compliment it. Hans showed me where he was keeping his crpyts outside and showed the different varieties he had. It was a great meeting(went for 3 hours!!) and anyone in canberra should definetly consider joining and coming along to the meetings. Definetly can't wait for the next meeting.

Cheers
    Michael
    As a new member to this hobby, do they still cover basic topic just as maintenance, lighting, CO2 requirements etc for commnity and planted tanks ?

I have just got mine going and still have a lot to learn. Especially around the requirements of Co2 systems and lighting requirements etc..

I am currently enjoying the vast amounts of DIY projects and aquascaping of tanks..

Quote Originally Posted by NomadZ View Post
    As a new member to this hobby, do they still cover basic topic just as maintenance, lighting, CO2 requirements etc for commnity and planted tanks ?
    I'm sure they would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. Definetly worth coming to a meeting and checking it out