Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 106

Thread: ULTIMATE CO2 system: Australia

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern Suburbs of Adelaide
    Posts
    4,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    Buy a PH controller of Fleabay. I payed $150 for mine. Set your PH based on water hardness and desired PPM and away it goes. Set an forget. Mine hasn't missed a beat in 12 months.

    Probe can be mounted inline so less clutter in the tank.

    Could buy one of these rather than go down the DIY path. Pretty cheap when you consider the brand and quality.

    Tim

    http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...hp?prodID=6133
    While the Tunze is good, it is not perfect. It relies on the turbulance in the small horizontal chamber to diffuse the water. My first version was like that. What happens is gas starts to build up over a period of a day affecting its efficiency. What some have done was to add a venturi to suck the gas from the top back to the pump intake. This can be noisy as the impeller blade hits the CO2. It is also not good on the blade in the long run. My second version, I angled the pump outlet to create a vortex. This way, water takes a much longer path giving it more time to absorb CO2. I also added a venturi to take gas build up (it is CO2 as it does not happen over night with the CO2 off) to the venturi intake on the pump outlet (no noise and better for the impeller). What I did wrong was have the CO2 inlet too high (1.5cm from the top). My version three has twice the chamber volume and I have lowered the CO2 inlet 2.5cm from the bottom. I also added a second venturi loop 2.5cm from the top to the pump inlet. With dual venturi and lowered CO2 intake and much bigger volume and still relying on vortex, there is no longer gas build up. There are still misting but much less.

    Finally, from my experimenting, using bio balls to create turbulance is not very good as it reduces the water volume. It is much better to use vortex affect. Those with external reactors or those about to make one should consider having the inlet come in from the side at the top at an angle to create vortex, or come in from center top but have an elbow to again direct flow to the side at an angle. Have the outlet still at the bottom center and CO2 inlet 1 or 2 inches from the bottom. Also have venturi to take any gas build up from the top to the inlet hose with a T-piece with venturi. Finally, do away with the bio balls and if you can, use clear acrylic/polycarbonate tubing so you can see the action.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Hi Vlad.

    You have certainly done your homework on this.

    I was thinking of building an inline reactor using a water filter housing and the points you have made will be very handy. The vortex makes good sense.

    I'm a bit like you in that half the fun is the build. I to DIY where I can.

    Keep up the good work.

    Tim W

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern Suburbs of Adelaide
    Posts
    4,699

    Default

    Cheers Tim. I have been reading up on it alot on the Barr Report and the Planted Tank as well as other sites. It was good that I had 5 unused baby bottles to play with. Although they dont look as good, they are pretty much hidden by the plants.

  4. #19

    Default

    Hey guys... going to go into my first pressurised CO2 tank. After reading whole heap of threads here and on other sites... this is the exact makeup I'm going to start building soon.

    Process system does have an adapter to connect the solenoid to regulator right? Out of interest, what's the orrifice size to fit the tunze 7077/3? The site has option of 3 sizes.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Morningside Qld
    Posts
    5,119

    Default

    Hiya Rebel - I've never had any trouble with the Tunze Regs and obviously no-one has problems with the Process Systems solenoids that I discovered.

    I keep meaning to check for you, but I'm still shattered after a solid weekend of serving dozens of, err, umm, people - well some of them were! I've also got a, damnit, grey moment forgetting the name - the German one Ben at A of A sells that goes up to $1.4k for the entire kit (from memory, don't quote me) .... Reg $900, Solenoid ??, Bottle $299? and that thing will last for generations!
    Chardy sippin', bitter, twisted, sour 'ol cow. Do not let your fantasies run away with your capabilities .... you, boy, are NO match for my blow torch! Boguns, you just keep on rollin'

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BettaBetta View Post
    Hiya Rebel - I've never had any trouble with the Tunze Regs and obviously no-one has problems with the Process Systems solenoids that I discovered.

    I keep meaning to check for you, but I'm still shattered after a solid weekend of serving dozens of, err, umm, people - well some of them were! I've also got a, damnit, grey moment forgetting the name - the German one Ben at A of A sells that goes up to $1.4k for the entire kit (from memory, don't quote me) .... Reg $900, Solenoid ??, Bottle $299? and that thing will last for generations!
    Dupla?
    I too am looking for a solenoid to go with Tunze regulator but don't know how to install these having relied on all in one's before. Any advice? Ben recommends the ghl solenoid on his site.
    Last edited by michaelz101; 28-01-14 at 02:05 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern Suburbs of Adelaide
    Posts
    4,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelz101 View Post
    Dupla?
    I too am looking for a solenoid to go with Tunze regulator but don't know how to install these having relied on all in one's before. Any advice? Ben recommends the ghl solenoid on his site.
    Any decent solenoid will do, just have to find ones that are screw-on type so you can screw directly onto the regulator with the needle valve screwed onto the other side of the solenoid. Best to also find cool running ones with electronic switching and not the old mechanical switching ones that run hot and make loud noises when they switch on/off.

    All the relays used in my timers and solenoid are the electronic ones and I cannot hear them turn on/off at all except the solenoid one which makes a very quiet metallic ting sound which could be the actual plunger. The solenoid I had for the DIY CO2, on the other hand was loud and you could hear it 5 metres away with the cabinet closed.

    Something like this:
    http://blog.aquanerd.com/wp-content/...egulator-1.jpg

    The following type is mainly for DIY type CO2 or regulators with low working pressure as you use silicone tube to connect it to the regulator and needle valve etc:
    http://www.bestbuyf.com/media/catalo.../9/3/93052.jpg
    Last edited by vladguan; 28-01-14 at 02:24 PM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Morningside Qld
    Posts
    5,119

    Default

    Yeppers, Dupla, that's the one, thank you!

    Re Solenoids - the Process system ones, you won't find better, I promise you - any number of peeps here have installed them and they stay soooooo darn cool compared to anything else - they're NOT small, very substantial little bits of kit they are. You just buy a brass adapter at any plumbing or welding shop, user plumbers tape, and that flexible thread seal glue stuff if you want to and job's done.
    Chardy sippin', bitter, twisted, sour 'ol cow. Do not let your fantasies run away with your capabilities .... you, boy, are NO match for my blow torch! Boguns, you just keep on rollin'

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NSW Cherrybrook
    Posts
    997

    Default

    I'm a bit confused. I just emailed Ryan at Process Systems and he recommended this model (http://www.valvesonline.com.au/solen...-direct-acting) for aquarium CO2 application? Is that correct?
    [insert witty aquarium-related phrase]

    Forest Eden 110L - http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/63352-Forest-Eden-110L

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    Thanks everyone,

    I haven't got around to contacting the Process systems guys yet... So not sure about the exact model. I would be keen on a 12V model if possible to keep things safe and simple.

    Thanks Di, Let me know if you have the Tunze + Process systems combo. I am yet to acquire either.

    The Dupla is a little expensive and for that money, I'd want more.... say like....
    http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-re...regulator.html
    [Check out that Fabco NV 55 needle valve...that's where its at.... ]

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    Vlad, This is a valid point. I think I will ask before I buy. Don't want any hums or bangs in the living room.

    Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    Any decent solenoid will do, just have to find ones that are screw-on type so you can screw directly onto the regulator with the needle valve screwed onto the other side of the solenoid. Best to also find cool running ones with electronic switching and not the old mechanical switching ones that run hot and make loud noises when they switch on/off.

    All the relays used in my timers and solenoid are the electronic ones and I cannot hear them turn on/off at all except the solenoid one which makes a very quiet metallic ting sound which could be the actual plunger. The solenoid I had for the DIY CO2, on the other hand was loud and you could hear it 5 metres away with the cabinet closed.

    Something like this:
    http://blog.aquanerd.com/wp-content/...egulator-1.jpg

    The following type is mainly for DIY type CO2 or regulators with low working pressure as you use silicone tube to connect it to the regulator and needle valve etc:
    http://www.bestbuyf.com/media/catalo.../9/3/93052.jpg

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Since we're on the topic, can anyone tell me if a screw in bubble counter is a straight fit on the Tunze needle valve or will it need an adaptor? eg something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1PC-Aquar...item51a5ea6b66

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Thanks everyone,

    I haven't got around to contacting the Process systems guys yet... So not sure about the exact model. I would be keen on a 12V model if possible to keep things safe and simple.

    Thanks Di, Let me know if you have the Tunze + Process systems combo. I am yet to acquire either.

    The Dupla is a little expensive and for that money, I'd want more.... say like....
    http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-re...regulator.html
    [Check out that Fabco NV 55 needle valve...that's where its at.... ]
    From one of the threads by betta... Ryan the engineer from process system recommended the model B55-2-3-1V... Brass with 1/4" BSP thread. 240v. I think most people here have this? This is the quieter one.

    Can anyone that has this give us some guidance... Tunze regulator has a npt thread right? So an adaptor is needed. Just confused what orifice size means can't find anything on specs on the tunze either. http://www.valvesonline.com.au/solen...-direct-acting

    Edit: spelling errors

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St Lucia, Brisbane
    Posts
    4,285

    Default

    Attached few pics of my Process System solenoid and Tunze regulator, with bubble counter attached. Hope this helps.
    This system has been running close to 3 years without dropping a beat!








    aLan

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    Alan, that's superb. I might even print it out and take to bunnings when I putting it together.

    I have emailed process systems today. They may answer on the forum to prevent repeated harassment.

    My main question was whether 12V system is better/quieter/less heat more efficient etc etc...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •