Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dosing with Grubs - My DIY Fert Regime.

That's a shame. It was cranking when I was there. Wonder what went wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I was told by David (? Owner) that it has closed!!! That number is disconnected.
    Tracked down and found that David formerly owned and managed Duralite Horticultural Supplies has joined Brinkman Australia.

http://www.hydroponics.com.au/brinkm...se-sales-team/

Duralite has closed and the site rebrand to "Brinkman Australia"

http://brinkman.com.au/offices

I rang the number and confirmed they no longer sell in 5kg quantities. Only 25kg !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PSPANG View Post
    Tracked down and found that David formerly owned and managed Duralite Horticultural Supplies has joined Brinkman Australia.

http://www.hydroponics.com.au/brinkm...se-sales-team/

Duralite has closed and the site rebrand to "Brinkman Australia"

http://brinkman.com.au/offices

I rang the number and confirmed they no longer sell in 5kg quantities. Only 25kg !!!
    Liverpool Creak Aquariums sell dry ferts via there website, also some premixed stuff which ppl say are good, locally here in Perth there is a store that sells dry ferts, perhaps check with your local aquarium stores also. I only live in a small apartment, storing 5kg of dry ferts would be a pain, you can buy in 500gm quantities form LCA

25kg eh.... Tempted.... :P

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I get all my Dry ferts from Aquagreen and Hydroponic shops.
    Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

One thing to add - I get my CaSO2 from the home brew shop now - its a food grade fine white powder that dissolves quickly and doesn't absorb water and go hard. I was using the Ca2SO4 Aquagreen sells ( an orangy pink powdered agricultural grade gypsum thats got more larger insoluble sand grain sized pieces) - but I found my hardness booster was going hard in the jars from moisture in the tank room.

If anyone in Melbourne is looking for larger quantities of Mg, K, Ca in the next ~6 months get in touch - I'm tempted to buy some 25kg bags and split them 2 or 3 ways as I'm nearly out of Mg and K (Using rainwater I go through a few kg of hardness booster each year).
    Last edited by Grubs; 30-08-17 at 08:51 PM.

I just ordered from Aquagreen 1kg each of the GH Booster & Potassium Bicarbonate KHCO3 to increase KH. Not sure how long they'll last but happy to share & split the 25kg bag.

Note from Dave at Aquagreen - we now only put 50/50 MgSO4/CaCl in our hardness booster. If you use Potassium bicarbonate to increase alkalinity then you should have sufficient potassium. We buy all our ferts from Ag Supplies, Muirs here in Humpty Doo, Landmark or Barnyard Trading in Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    One thing to add - I get my CaSO2 from the home brew shop now - its a food grade fine white powder that dissolves quickly and doesn't absorb water and go hard. I was using the Ca2SO4 Aquagreen sells ( an orangy pink powdered agricultural grade gypsum thats got more larger insoluble sand grain sized pieces) - but I found my hardness booster was going hard in the jars from moisture in the tank room.

If anyone in Melbourne is looking for larger quantities of Mg, K, Ca in the next ~6 months get in touch - I'm tempted to buy some 25kg bags and split them 2 or 3 ways as I'm nearly out of Mg and K (Using rainwater I go through a few kg of hardness booster each year).

We use prilled Calcium chloride, that gets very warm when mixed with water.

If only the warming effect of the CaCl could last for winter - its been brutally cold lately down here and my last electricity bill from heating my crypt tubs in a non-insulated glasshouse was a doosy!

I have to admit I don't use anything to increase alkalinity - just rainwater with KH ~0 ... many plants seem to do really well and the blue-eyes are breeding well. - I do add a little shell grit which will be buffering KH up slightly. So my K really only comes from the GH booster - I have some Potassium bicarbonate I bought from Aquagreen ages ago and I really should start dosing a couple of tanks for higher KH to see the different it makes. I'm kinda stuck in a rut of just doing the same-'ol same-'ol... that mostly works (until it doesnt).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345