Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dosing with Grubs - My DIY Fert Regime.

N = Nitrogen
    P = Phosphate
    K = Potassium

Nitrogen is usually derived from Kno3 (Potassium Nitrate),
    Phosphate is usually derived from KH2PO4 (Mono-Potassium Phosphate...aka MKP)
    Potassium is usually derived from K2SO4 (Potassium Sulphate)

although by dosing KNO3, your getting your required dose of Nitrogen as well as 3x the required amount of Potassium, so there really isnt any need to dose K2SO4.

you wont need potassium sulphate with EI. Are you sure you're following the EI routine properly?

Eitherway shouldnt cause the clouding issues.

Easiest way to to check is just to get a container with water and mix different fertz and see which combination causes the water to cloudy.

Quote Originally Posted by victork View Post
    you wont need potassium sulphate with EI. Are you sure you're following the EI routine properly?
    I didnt think you dont get quite enough from the other 2 to not dose any pottasium?
    Im currently following the routine from Nutri-Calc i downloaded somewhere off the net.
    Most say not to dose Phosphorous?

Im a little confused. Are you following the routine from Nutri-Calc or are you using EI?

Whether or not you need Phosphorous depends on your tank conditions. General rule of thumb is that low light+high stock means you wont need much phosphorous. On the other hand low stock high light+co2 means u need phosphorous. The "myth" that you dont need phosphorous is a legacy of PMDD which siad that phosphorous causes algae which I think lots of people have realised is not necessarily true for high tech setups.

Quote Originally Posted by kezg View Post
    I didnt think you dont get quite enough from the other 2 to not dose any pottasium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo2302 View Post
    by dosing KNO3, your getting your required dose of Nitrogen as well as 3x the required amount of Potassium, so there really isnt any need to dose K2SO4.
    from what i remember reading from somwhere on the Barr Report (i think) there is no need to dose K2SO4, as your already getting 3x the K from KN03. although having said that it is extremely hard to overdose K.

EI is based on the principle of having an excess of ferts allways available to plants to ensure optimal growth. thats why you dose different ferts on alternating days, and have 1 day off for a WC to "reset" everything.

[QUOTE=victork;331806]Im a little confused. Are you following the routine from Nutri-Calc or are you using EI?QUOTE]

I am using the EI method. but which EI methond more to the point - every different website seems to recommend different levels of fert, nutri-calc is just a tool like the online ones for working out dosage amount by size of tank etc.
    It's fine i was just hoping someone would double check my dosing for 200Gallon but never mind...

Are you sure you are seeing the right EI? All the places i have read about EI have been identical and none have included K2so4. Regardless, heres one you can trust:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ing-guide.html

But they dont have values for really large tanks like yours but you look like you are ball park with your amounts. However I would stop dosing K2SO4, double the phosphates and probably back off on the iron. If anything is causing the precipitating its probably the iron with the phosphates.

Sorry to bump on this old thread once again...
    Currently trying out of PPS-Pro, just a few questions for anyone who has tried this recipe.

I see that PPS-Pro is using MgSo4 as a gH buffer, question is, if im using tap water with high gH, is it still necessary to add MgSo4?
    After doing PPS-Pro for a week, plants are loving it, but i noticed significant cloudiness in water and my gH has gone sky rocket, anyone has same experience?
    Im not sure if the cloudiness is due to too much Mg or Sulphate or any other reason?

Water param:-
    pH 6.4
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5
    Phosphate 0.5-1.0
    kH 6
    gH 12!!

Any responds much appreciated

Cheers
    aLan

That is a hard question. I am no chemist but at a certain point in a marine set up when the calcium and magnesium levels reach a certain point there is a clouding occuring. This may be the same for your freshwater aquarium. If you research calcium levels, pH and alkalinity for marine aquaria it may give you a clue to what is happening in your tank when it goes cloudy.

Cheers
    Dave

It looks like Duralite is closed as of today!!! Their phone has been disconnected and their website is offline!

I went down to see the owner about 2weeks ago. Looking to get some REXOLIN APN MICRO MIX for my PMMD. But he then told me to wait for acouple weeks, because he is no longer stocking REXOLIN APN chelated.
    I didn't from him since! today i check his website and try to call his office all have been disconnected.
    Hmm

Yes they're open. Just called them. New addy is 2 Downard st, Braeside. Phone number 9588 2332

Please let me know if you are able to get the Rexolin APN from Duralite as I have tried numerous times in the past and was told they don't sell it to hobbyists.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
    It looks like Duralite is closed as of today!!! Their phone has been disconnected and their website is offline!

I went down to see the owner about 2weeks ago. Looking to get some REXOLIN APN MICRO MIX for my PMMD. But he then told me to wait for acouple weeks, because he is no longer stocking REXOLIN APN chelated.
    I didn't from him since! today i check his website and try to call his office all have been disconnected.
    Hmm
    If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

Website is back up and they still have the hobby growers page - http://www.duralite.com.au/hobby-growers/

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Website is up and they still have the hobby growers page - http://www.duralite.com.au/hobby-growers/
    This is the page that I've bookmarked from the past....

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Website is back up and they still have the hobby growers page - http://www.duralite.com.au/hobby-growers/
    And it now lists the Rexolin APN. Now I just need to bribe a Melbourne member to pick it up for me.
    If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast