Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 8ftx 2.5ftx 2.5ft In wall tank and fish room planning and preparation

Edit - apparently you can still buy flora base... They sell it at guppys online - I heard the business/site has changed hands - Are they still considered persona non grata on the forum? I remember there was a lot of nastiness a few years ago with threats of legal action over libel etc...

Kris, I really appreciate this update.

All I can say is that your problem has nothing to do with most of the things you have mentioned. It only has to do with fluctuating light levels not been balanced by CO2. Do you run your CO2 24/7? This is the first step. Then install those dampeners on the sunlights and use your own low level lights. Then you can do some form of autodosing of nutrients. You will need to mix up some dry ferts and get started. I would start with 1/5 EI levels as per relatively low light. Release a large army of SAE in that tank as well. Don't feed em. Finally you will probably need to remove some of that organic buildup depending on your maintenance schedule.

Curious to see your pics also at some stage.

Fish imports eh? Sounds like a great compliment to your hobby. HAving those hobbyists as contacts would be awesome as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    In other news I broke my shoulder (proximal humerus fracture) in a dirt bike accident, had surgery 6 weeks ago and have a fair bit of rehab ahead. My wife and I found out she is pregnant back in January, then found out at the 20 week scan she is carrying twins. (we already have two kids - oops...) They are due late June. Thank god we live in Vanuatu.
    All I got to say is shikes and SHIKES!!!!

Congratulations Kris on updating the journal and the new expectations !!!
    You will have to train them to go collect those gobies for you

Oh I also think I got your gobies name
    Stiphodon rutilaureus
    http://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/4827
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Hi Rebel and Graeme,
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions - I've written a few comments below - not to argue or contradict, just clarifying a few points so theres no confusion. Interested to hear if your prognosis is still the same?

Graeme - good find, that definitely looks like the right goby... I've got several in the tank now. They are really cool - peaceful and good community members. Seem to be quite hardy and able to transition from wild to tank quite well as I haven't lost any thus far.

Rebel - I've been dosing the tank since the early days with a daily 1/2 dose of EI as per rotala butterfly calculator for my size tank. I'm using Rexolin BSP for micros, kno3 and kh2po4 for macros. I also run 3 x 150w Metal Halides, 5 hours from 3-8pm. I regularly (every 3 months or so) vacuum all the organic buildup out of the sump sponges.

Prior to the commissioning the current tank, I had a dense forest of crypt balensae, swords and other healthy plants growing in similar parameters to what I have now (same halides, same water conditions, same fert regime, same co2 hours per day). The big difference was a) the tank was much smaller - easier to fill with co2 and much shorter water column so better light penetration, and b) the substrate was flora base. I am planning to fill the big tank with flora base to eliminate that as a variable...

I've also made a small change to the way the co2 diffusor is plumbed. It was up until now plumbed into the sump return before entering the tank. When I turned off the co2 to hook it up to the small noahs ark tank, I removed the co2 loop (which was powered by a seperate little 5w pump) and the return flow into the tank was significantly stronger, so much so I decided to turn the pump down by 5 watts. Its quite logical in hindsight but I didn't realise it at the time - rather than contributing to the flow, the two pumps were competing with eachother and wasting energy... So when I eventually get the big tank sorted and crank the co2 back up, It will have its own dedicated loop separate to the main return...

Ask and ye shall receive - some photos of my glorious bba garden (looking at these photos you'd be forgiven for thinking that I haven't touched the tank in months, but the sad thing is I have been - but the sheer volume of leaves to prune means I can only remove a percentage at a time, and the bba is reporducing faster than I can remove...):

Amazing what a good trellis crinums make for bba! Can anyone tell me the best course of action to save/rejuvinate this crinum when I move across to the ark? (h2o2, bleach or condies crystals dips etc?)

Kris, thanks for all the info. On the plus side, those discus look smashing!!!

from the BBA POV, I agree with you that perhaps many factors are at play. My thoughts are similar to yours. Co2 distribution and not enough light penetration. Also just make sure calcium and magnesium are covered as well.

The bottom leaves falling off those hygrophila reminds me of light deficiency. Perhaps the BBA is jut feeding off dying plants.

As as an interesting experiment, my suggestion is to obtain a good par meter and log your light levels over the day, much like a ph profile.

Just thinking out loud.

Either way, I need to get an update for this tank every few months pls. Just to get my monster planted fix. 😜😁

Hi Kris,
    I have had success with soaking BBA affected plants in a 10% bleach/water solution for 15 mins. Lots of rinsing required after that.
    Probably not suitable for plants that are rooted in the substrate though.

Another technique that works for me is to drizzle Excel over the exposed to air part of the plants during a water change...

So hard to get rid of the BBA

I've started moving all the substrate rooted plants to the arc tank. I wanted to do it slowly just in case there was something out of whack with that tank. I also trialled bleach dipping some of the plants as per salts suggestion. Its an aggressive solution and one that doesnt work on sensitive plants or stems, but it definitely did the trick on the giant anubias without killing it. The crypt balensae I dipped melted but is growing new leaves already so thats hopeful.

I've now stopped all ferts and co2 in the main tank, lifted the halide pendants higher off the surface and reduced the photo period. Next step is to syphon out all the sand and soil, then start again with Red Sea Flora Base and some ADA Malaya. (Red Sea Flora Base has been discontinued by the AU distributor and I don't have enough of the flora base alone) and whether it is the same stuff or not, Flora Base and Malaya look similar enough to mix together I think. So far I have 9 bags of Flora Base and I'm hoping that 3 more bags of ADA Malaya should be enough for a decent depth across the whole tank. 12 bags total at about $45 a bag!

I've also decided to pull the trigger on 4x Ecotech Radeon FW units. Curious to hear from anyone reading who is already using these lights? I did a quick google forum search but could see anything more recent than 2014 on Aquariumlife? I'm also keen to hear whether I can do without the mounting kits? Ie if the screw holes are standard M6 or M8 threads then I can just fabricate my own aluminium hanging bracket (the mounting kits are outrageously overpriced IMO)

https://aquabluedistribution.com.au/...n+4+Freshwater

I was weighing up between these and the Kessils, but I already have a a Vectra return pump and other ecotech gear, and I'm pretty keen to hook it all up to the reeflink controller.

I'm also playing around with the setup of the co2 diffusing unit so it has its own independant intake and outlet, with a long spraybar type return mounted along the back wall of the tank behind the wood. I'm hoping this will allow me to pump in more co2 and distribute more evenly around the tank. If this fails then the next step will be as someone suggested a few pages back - three seperate bottles/regs/diffusors evenly spaced along the back wall to really jack up the co2 in there...

Hopefully the light/substrate/co2 upgrade combo will be enough to straighten things out. All that will have to wait till after we get back from Aus though as we are off in three weeks for the birth of the twins. (my wife is already there and I follow with the kids mid June.)

As the tank is now:

Loving the discus!

I've also decided to pull the trigger on 4x Ecotech Radeon FW units. Curious to hear from anyone reading who is already using these lights? I did a quick google forum search but could see anything more recent than 2014 on Aquariumlife? I'm also keen to hear whether I can do without the mounting kits? Ie if the screw holes are standard M6 or M8 threads then I can just fabricate my own aluminium hanging bracket (the mounting kits are outrageously overpriced IMO)

[/IMG][/URL]
    I'm running an ecotec radion xr30w gen 3 and i'm loving it, I run it at about 40% power.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...to-a-New-Hobby

Just a thought, may be you should try to run 3 lines to 3 diffusers from the 1 regulator. Give that a go before you buy 3 seperate setups, may save you some dosh.

Hey Mate,
    It's been a while since we have talked on here, how's your tank going? I thought I would share my 9x2.5x2.5 planted discus tank for you. I might be able to give you some advice on managing bigger tanks as I have learnt and still learning about my tank. This tank is 9 months old and is going awesome. You need to stay away from co2 and just run Makemyleds like I have got. These lights are only on for 6 hours during the day and are on a controller with a program. I have got no algea and my plants are thriving. I have got an auto dosing machine and make my own diy ferts I only follow Grubs diy ferts which is on here. I do 1 x 50% we weekly to lower the nutrients again and it keeps the discus nice and healthy. Here you got mate if you need any help I happy to answer any questions buddy.

Default I think I have finally turned a corner with the tank!

Periodic update time. Lots has happened since my last update. These two have kept my wife and I fairly busy...
    Attachment 8933

Tank wise, I have swapped out my DIY dirt substrate for commercial. As you can see compared to the last photos I uploaded, things are going much better. I used a combo of Red Sea flora base, ADA Amazonia and two bags of an unnamed shrimp substrate on special at Vebas in WA which has proved really good for growing hairgrass and swords. Swapping out the substrate turned out to be easier than I had anticipated - I just vacuumed out the sand and soil over a couple of water changes, and poured the new stuff in gently one bag at a time...
    White Molly by krisrusset, on Flickr

I’ve retired my 10 year old 150w halides and replaced with 4x ecotech radion xr15 freshwater units, controlled along with the Vectra return pump through reeflink controller and iPhone app. Really impressed with these lights - but I guess I'd probably be impressed with any of the high end LEDs - the upgrade from MH to LED is like going from a Ford Cortina to a Tesla... Homemade aluminium bracket and wire hangers I recycled from an old MH fixture as I wasn't willing to fork out an extra $300 for their modular hanging system on top of $1600 worth of lights...
    Untitled by krisrusset, on Flickr

I’ve also recently imported a new order of fish from premier pet in Queensland - 2000 assorted goldfish and 270 Siamese fighters for sale, and discus, elephant noses and congo tetras for my tank. Once again the fish arrived at midnight, meaning we were up till 4 am unpacking fish! Loving the new discus, and the elephant noses are some of the most robust I’ve ever seen... So strong that if I don’t feed heavily enough, they swim up after lights out and harass the discus!

I’ve changed my co2 system again, and I think I've nailed it this time... 20Kg co2 cylinder, 10 bps and the plants are pearling. I have a Weipro co2 controller on its way from Hong Kong, so looking forward to playing around with that when it arrives. I like the idea of a controller, and this one is a toe in the water before I go spending big bucks on a Milwaukee meter or Tunze controller...

The other thing I have discovered, which I'm sure most of you guys already know about - Pool filter skimmer socks are an awesome alternative to micron filters on the sump inlet! I was having major issues with suspended particles in the water column, and for $5 for a pack of 5, those socks are fantastic at removing fine suspended particles and polishing water without clogging completely and overflowing...

Next question - and this one I'd really appreciate some feedback on. I haven't dosed any ferts since swapping out the substrates but I'm going to have to start soon. I have all the usual dry ferts for EI - whats the current consensus on fert dosing? I'd say I now have average light - not high not low for the size and depth of tank (80cm deep). I am finally achieving good co2 dissolution thanks to the reactor, and the BBA is slowly being beaten down by the plant growth. Would you guys recommend starting off with a 50% EI regime? Or something else?
    Last edited by Kris; 17-02-18 at 06:20 PM.

W O W

Pic of you swimming in the tank pls

Periodic update time. Lots has happened since my last update. These two have kept my wife and I fairly busy...
    Attachment 8933

Tank wise, I have swapped out my DIY dirt substrate for commercial. As you can see compared to the last photos I uploaded, things are going much better. I used a combo of Red Sea flora base, ADA Amazonia and two bags of an unnamed shrimp substrate on special at Vebas in WA which has proved really good for growing hairgrass and swords. Swapping out the substrate turned out to be easier than I had anticipated - I just vacuumed out the sand and soil over a couple of water changes, and poured the new stuff in gently one bag at a time...

Iíve retired my 10 year old 150w halides and replaced with 4x ecotech radion xr15 freshwater units, controlled along with the Vectra return pump through reeflink controller and iPhone app. Really impressed with these lights - but I guess I'd probably be impressed with any of the high end LEDs - the upgrade from MH to LED is like going from a Ford Cortina to a Tesla... Homemade aluminium bracket and wire hangers I recycled from an old MH fixture as I wasn't willing to fork out an extra $300 for their modular hanging system on top of $1600 worth of lights...

Iíve also recently imported a new order of fish from premier pet in Queensland - 2000 assorted goldfish and 270 Siamese fighters for sale, and discus, elephant noses and congo tetras for my tank. Once again the fish arrived at midnight, meaning we were up till 4 am unpacking fish! Loving the new discus, and the elephant noses are some of the most robust Iíve ever seen... So strong that if I donít feed heavily enough, they swim up after lights out and harass the discus!

Iíve changed my co2 system again, and I think I've nailed it this time... 20Kg co2 cylinder, 10 bps and the plants are pearling. I have a Weipro co2 controller on its way from Hong Kong, so looking forward to playing around with that when it arrives. I like the idea of a controller, and this one is a toe in the water before I go spending big bucks on a Milwaukee meter or Tunze controller...

The other thing I have discovered, which I'm sure most of you guys already know about - Pool filter skimmer socks are an awesome alternative to micron filters on the sump inlet! I was having major issues with suspended particles in the water column, and for $5 for a pack of 5, those socks are fantastic at removing fine suspended particles and polishing water without clogging completely and overflowing...

Next question - and this one I'd really appreciate some feedback on. I haven't dosed any ferts since swapping out the substrates but I'm going to have to start soon. I have all the usual dry ferts for EI - whats the current consensus on fert dosing? I'd say I now have average light - not high not low for the size and depth of tank (80cm deep). I am finally achieving good co2 dissolution thanks to the reactor, and the BBA is slowly being beaten down by the plant growth. Would you guys recommend starting off with a 50% EI regime? Or something else?
    Looking Very Nice Mate!
    90 litre and 300 litre journal: http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57087-Ground-Zero-My-venture-into-aquascaping-begins-Now-3-tanks

Hey Kris well done! Are you sending the whole output through the reactor?

Personally I would use dual solenoids or similar for insurance as your livestock are precious.

For ferts, my suggestion is 1/5 EI as a starting point. Are you doing 50% WC??

Not sure on pH controllers tho. Best to keep it manual I reckon. More cogs in the system to fail.

Have you switched off those solar tubes??

Thanks for the nice comments guys... Long way to go yet banishing the BBA though

Rebel - Yes 100% of the sump return goes through the reactor. Seems to be working great.
    Even if the solenoid stuck open, in this size tank with oxygenation happening when the water dumps into the sump I would struggle to harm the fish with 10bps of co2. As I said though i bought this one as a test to see if it’s worth it or not...
    Yes I am doing 50% water changes. I’m planning to move to constant drip water changes soon though as an experiment. I have all the plumbing in place already...
    I haven’t done anything to the tubes, but they are not giving anywhere near the light they used to when brand new. Today in full midday sun the tank was much darker than under the leds that kick in at 1:30pm...

My weipro controller arrived ex Hong Kong in 5 working days - a record by Vanuatu standards! Cost me $55 postage though ;(

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910