Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8ftx 2.5ftx 2.5ft In wall tank and fish room planning and preparation

Default 8ftx 2.5ftx 2.5ft In wall tank and fish room planning and preparation

White Molly by krisrusset, on Flickr

I'm currently having my house built here in Vanuatu, and it incorporates a large in wall tank (facing the living room) which backs onto a fish utility room about 2.5m by 4m. Plan was originally for a marine tank when I had the tank built 5 years ago, but in the intervening time I've come to the conclusion that I'm more of a freshwater planted tank guy... Consequently I have a heap of decisions to make regarding equipment and setup. I have a ton of gear which I acquired from previous tanks and in preparation for this one. I've been renting for four years since my wife and I moved here to Vanuatu, looking longingly at the big tank sitting in storage...

So far the slab has been poured, and obviously drains are already in place. I've put three drains in the room, one for the sink in the corner, one underneath the big tank and one in the middle of the floor.

Untitled by krisrusset, on Flickr

Power is very expensive here (second most expensive in the world at roughly 65 cents/kilowatt) so efficiency is very important.

I've decided to experiment with solatubes for lighting, supplemented with either MH or T5HO for evening viewing once the sun goes down. I have four of the larger 290DS solatubes, one per 2ft section of tank.

I'm also deciding whether or not to run a sump underneath the tank. I know its not commonly done with planted tanks due to the water disruption and loss of co2 but I have seen it done successfully with forum member partrg's 4 foot tank in Perth. He ran a quiet overflow with minimal water disruption and was able to maintain adequate co2 levels. The beauty of a sump is of course being able to hide all the ugly gear out of sight... Plus I already have the sump made and ready to go.

I also have a set of four mp40 circulation pumps, or a tunze wavemaker to experiment with for in tank circulation. I'll post more images soon, but I'd love to hear your suggestions for setup and layout and so on in the fishroom.
    Last edited by Kris; 13-01-18 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Update photo and fix broken photbucket imgs

wow sounds epic will be following this one.

i think i read on the forums yesterday that the mp10's can only go onto 10mm thick glass, however im sure you knew that and already have a plan and once again im just looking like a dumb newb.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I'm currently having my house built here in Vanuatu, and it incorporates a large in wall tank (facing the living room) which backs onto a fish utility room about 2.5m by 4m. Plan was originally for a marine tank when I had the tank built 5 years ago, but in the intervening time I've come to the conclusion that I'm more of a freshwater planted tank guy... Consequently I have a heap of decisions to make regarding equipment and setup. I have a ton of gear which I acquired from previous tanks and in preparation for this one. I've been renting for four years since my wife and I moved here to Vanuatu, looking longingly at the big tank sitting in storage...

So far the slab has been poured, and obviously drains are already in place. I've put three drains in the room, one for the sink in the corner, one underneath the big tank and one in the middle of the floor.

Power is very expensive here (second most expensive in the world at roughly 65 cents/kilowatt) so efficiency is very important.

I've decided to experiment with solatubes for lighting, supplemented with either MH or T5HO for evening viewing once the sun goes down. I have four of the larger 290DS solatubes, one per 2ft section of tank.

I'm also deciding whether or not to run a sump underneath the tank. I know its not commonly done with planted tanks due to the water disruption and loss of co2 but I have seen it done successfully with forum member partrg's 4 foot tank in Perth. He ran a quiet overflow with minimal water disruption and was able to maintain adequate co2 levels. The beauty of a sump is of course being able to hide all the ugly gear out of sight... Plus I already have the sump made and ready to go.

I also have a set of four mp40 circulation pumps, or a tunze wavemaker to experiment with for in tank circulation. I'll post more images soon, but I'd love to hear your suggestions for setup and layout and so on in the fishroom.

Look into a beananimal overflow for your sump. Quiet and doesnt strip c02
    I'll try anything twice.

They're MP40's, not MP10's so should be fine... I remember reading the beananimal overflow setup years ago - I will have to go back and revisit the thread, thanks.

ah yes, apparently i cant read
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    They're MP40's, not MP10's so should be fine... I remember reading the beananimal overflow setup years ago - I will have to go back and revisit the thread, thanks.

I had another good read of the beananimal quiet overflow setup again last night. From what I can tell it its completely incompatible with the existing weir and holes drilled in the base of the tank? I'm going to have to blank off the two existing holes, either cut out or seal off the weir and install a shelf and drill three holes in the side near the top to make it work? Or can I add just one hole as an emergency overflow, and use the two existing holes within the weir?

You just need 3 holes in your overflow and enough room for all the plumbing fittings (tee's, elbows, etc). What makes you think you need to remove the current overflow if you can drill a 3rd hole in it?

Edit: I understand your concern now. You don't have to have the tee piece and stuff outside the tank like most beananimal setups. You can have all the fittings inside the weir on top of a tall stand pipe.
    Picture this setup below, but you just extend the bottom of the weir down to the bottom of the tank:

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t...verflow-18.jpg
    (Random google image search image, full credit to whoever owns that photobucket account)
    You still want the gate valves outside the tank, but just put them underneath the weir.
    Last edited by Benzito; 12-09-13 at 08:33 AM.
    My tank journal- http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/53742-Benzito-s-first-foray-into-aquatic-flora-(2-low-tech)

Default Floor plans and construction photos

Hi guys,
    I've been MIA for a while, busy working, getting the house organised and getting ready to spend a month in Brisbane waiting for our next baby to arrive... I'm here now with more spare time to sit on the computer looking at aquariumlife. I have posted a jpg of the floor plan along with a couple of photos of the construction site so you can get a feel for the whole project. We are building the house on our farm here in Vanuatu. The farm has been in our family for 3 generations, my family were some of the first French settlers to Vanuatu in the late 1800's. This house is our dream house, incorporating the sort of stuff you just wouldn't do in a house you planned to sell in a few years. Hence the fish room, indoor/outdoor bathroom, expensive finishes and so on...

David Kyle was the architect from Melbourne and a good friend of mine - he turned my google sketchup efforts into a proper house. It has changed in a couple of small ways since this concept, but this is basically it...

Here is a close up plan of the garage/entry which incorporates a 5m x 1.5m fish pond. I haven't yet specified to the builder the exact depth of this pond - what would you suggest? At this stage I am looking at keeping fancy goldfish and plants in the pond, mostly pond lillys. Based on experiences with my last pond, I was planning a depth of 70cm. Would you recommend deeper? I've already planned a recess to accommodate a covering grill/screen if necessary to keep kids and dogs from falling/jumping in.

Crappy photo but this gives an idea of the outlook from the living room

This is the outdoor bathroom. I'm pretty excited about this. Its within the structure of the house, but a hole has been engineered into the roof 2m x 1.5m to let the sun and weather in. The concrete steps will be tiled, and the space around them filled with river stones. The whole space drains to one corner underneath the stones. The recessed space on the wall and a matching wall opposite will be dressed with black river rocks and the plan is to grow mosses and ferns on the rocks. The window at the end will be a one way mirror for privacy...

This is from the deck/view side - The Deck and Pergola will extend the full length of the house on this side

OMG I'M SO JEALOUS RIGHT NOW!!

There's actually the word "FISH" in one of the floorplan rooms! FISHROOM...IN...A FLOORPLAN!

Anyway, anything I'll say will be worthless after your absolute beauty of a dream house in an island paradise floorplan thing but ehm,....yes, 70 cm would be ideal for a goldfish and lily pond.

ARRGH JEALOUS

Wow!

Speechless but very happy that someone is able to enjoy this type of awesomeness. Good on you mate!

Yea so I aint jealous or anything.
    Certainly not insanely so!

Srsly though, kudos to you.
    I'm liking this build a LOT!

And the solar tubes get my thumbs up.
    As far as backup/night viewing LEd suplimental lighting.... try get something with plenty of colours so you can really tweak them and make the corals POP!

Worth putting extra thought into chiller placement, so it vents hot air efficiently.
    Will save you a LOT on power if you nail that!
    "AQUIS have proven on numerous occasion to have a distinct lack of humour." ~ saundo

Waiting for updates .... And thinking of moving to.....

Capitan Primero - Its going to be a planted tank, not a reef tank. I experimented with a small 3 foot reef tank for 18 months and I realised that its just not me - I love the final result of a reef tank, but don't enjoy the maintenance and setup side - the salt water just annoys me. Wheras I find maintaining my plant tank quite relaxing and enjoyable... Case in point I'm helping my father in law here in Brisbane to rescape his 3 foot while I'm here on holidays because I miss working on my tank. Speaking of which I'm about to post a WTB for lileopsis braziliensis in QLD if anyone has some to sell...

Plants, unfortunately there probably won't be any interesting updates for at least a month since I'm in Brisbane till early January waiting for our new baby to arrive...

Excellent start Kris, really looking forward to see how it progresses. Your not worried about the humm of the fish room keeping you awake? or will it be soothing you to sleep?

I always wanted a fish room in my house plus a display room full of various tanks. Come on lotto win

House is coming along nicely - the last section of the roof should be finished this week, then things should really start moving quickly.

Matt - no not overly concerned about noise, my builder is top notch and everything has been done spot on so far, so I'm confident that the walls will have good noise insulating properties. That and I've already had an 8 foot tank which I found very quiet... Only thing that ever bothered me was when I had cheap MH lights and the ballasts started buzzing -that was a noise that would drive anyone insane...

I am starting to think about some of the finer points now like what sort of co2 diffuser to use on a system this big? The tank is roughly 1500L of water, with another 200+ in the sump, so I'm going to need to diffuse a lot of co2... I'd love to hear people's suggestions?

I found a stem plant here in Vanuatu a few weeks ago, growing in a little stream in the middle of nowhere (came across the stream while dirt biking way out in the bush)... Not sure if it is known to the aquarium hobby (personally I've not seen it before) but it grows faster than anything I've ever seen - WAY faster than hygro polysperma or ambulia... It more than doubled in mass in a week - anyone recognize it? It should come in very handy when starting the tank and trying to keep algae at bay.
    Last edited by Kris; 02-02-14 at 05:25 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast