Thread: Finnex Ray 2 LED from US

Default Finnex Ray 2 LED from US

Hi there,

Does anyone know if its OK to use lights made for the US?

Is the converter sufficient or will it cause issues in the long run.

Cheers

My guess is its not ok.
    Voltage in the US is 110v ours is 240v
    The diodes in the transformers usually blow up with a bang when you plug the unit in for the first time.
    The manufacturer needs to confirm that the transformer is capable of handling voltage up to 250 volts to suit our conditions.
    I recommend you look at products already distributed in the Australian market.

Quote Originally Posted by simpplyvl View Post
    Hi there,

Does anyone know if its OK to use lights made for the US?

Is the converter sufficient or will it cause issues in the long run.

Cheers
    I own a camera purchased while in the US a few years ago and just using a travel adaptor to charge it without issue, and a mate of mine owns a bunch of cordless power tools that he got while stationed in the US that he charges using a step-down transformer to run the 110v charger. For long term applications like your lights I'd say the transformer is the way to go, but I'd suggest its more a matter of total cost for a good transformer + lights than a voltage issue.
    Live your life like no-one's watching!

You will need to check the volts - if its not right you can buy a 'step-up/down' converter from most good electronic stores such as Jaycar

Many transformers that come with products these days are 110/240v but you would have to check first... Of course you may also be able to get a replacement transformer as most LED lighting the transformer is external and just supplies 12-48v DC (for example) to the light fitting..

You would have to check out the particular light first..

Thanks all.

Apparently these lights are great for growing plants and are super bright.

Cheers

I just checked Amazon, and seems that they can be sent to Australia .. you need to get "step down" from jaycar for it to works

I am looking to get them as well .. Aquasky is way too expensive ...;

Quote Originally Posted by simpplyvl View Post
    Thanks all.

Apparently these lights are great for growing plants and are super bright.

Cheers
    edylianto.com

Quote Originally Posted by slin1977 View Post
    My guess is its not ok.
    Voltage in the US is 110v ours is 240v
    The diodes in the transformers usually blow up with a bang when you plug the unit in for the first time.
    The manufacturer needs to confirm that the transformer is capable of handling voltage up to 250 volts to suit our conditions.
    I recommend you look at products already distributed in the Australian market.
    The transformer that comes with the finnex will run on 110v/240v AC and is made for 50/60hz so will run on both systems although the reason that you can't buy them in australia is that they don't meet the strict australian standards.
    If you do choose to buy one and your house burnt down because of a fault it was caused and your insurance found out that it was the product to cause such fire, you wouldn't be covered.
    However I did choose to purchase a planted plus for my nano and it is an exceptional light for a planted tank and for its size packs a punch.

For anyone interested, I have purchased a Finnex Ray2 24DS and can confirm it will work in Australia. Amazon lists the specs as being 110v/240v AC, so I purchased it and first tested with a basic travel power adapter, which was successful. I didn't really want a bulky travel adapter on an already crowded power board so a quick trip to Bunnings to buy an Australian plug (~$3), snipped the US plug off, attached the Aussie plug and it works perfectly. Obviously this automatically voids the warranty, but i'm not fussed about that. I'm yet to use this on an aquarium as this is for a new setup and am still in the process of building the cabinet. I'm planning on suspending the light from cables, which will be very easy with some minor mods. I can't comment on performance of the light itself but I can tell you it's super bright. Also the black logo sticker peels right off without a mark, so if you're like me and prefer a sleek look without branding, it's a quick easy fix. Below are some pics of my handy work. Also shows how narrow the light is when compared to a power plug.

I came across the PAR data for this light recently if you're wondering about performance:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/14...-par-data.html

Seems similar intensity to Up Pro Z, also a similar design to Up lights.

Hope you have the time to do a journal when you get started, would be great to see how it runs. Were you planning on a planted setup?

Quote Originally Posted by someguyjc View Post
    For anyone interested, I have purchased a Finnex Ray2 24DS and can confirm it will work in Australia. Amazon lists the specs as being 110v/240v AC, so I purchased it and first tested with a basic travel power adapter, which was successful. I didn't really want a bulky travel adapter on an already crowded power board so a quick trip to Bunnings to buy an Australian plug (~$3), snipped the US plug off, attached the Aussie plug and it works perfectly. Obviously this automatically voids the warranty, but i'm not fussed about that. I'm yet to use this on an aquarium as this is for a new setup and am still in the process of building the cabinet. I'm planning on suspending the light from cables, which will be very easy with some minor mods. I can't comment on performance of the light itself but I can tell you it's super bright. Also the black logo sticker peels right off without a mark, so if you're like me and prefer a sleek look without branding, it's a quick easy fix. Below are some pics of my handy work. Also shows how narrow the light is when compared to a power plug.

Very cool info! How much did you end of paying including postage?

Gr1, nice PAR data. shows that almost any light is fine until 30cm. After that you really need lenses to increase penetration but this usually reduces spread.

Paid US$92 (~AU$128) + AU$15 shipping direct from Amazon. I was buying a couple of other things so if you were to buy just the light on it's own shipping may be a little less. I had originally been looking at the UP Aqua Pro Z, but opted for the Finnex purely because there seemed to be a lot more information and positive reviews about them world wide.
    Last edited by someguyjc; 22-02-16 at 11:30 AM.

It will be a planted nature aquarium, haven't decided on exactly what style, but will be using an ADA 60-P. I hope to journal as much as possible, currently in the process of designing the cabinet. I'm fairly happy with my plans, see below. Will be using a CNC service to cut and drill the panels exactly and will be using square aluminium tube and fittings from Bunnings for the light support. Below is my current design, fairly basic ADA style cabinet.
    Last edited by someguyjc; 22-02-16 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by someguyjc View Post
    Paid US$92 (~AU$128) + AU$15 shipping direct from Amazon. I was buying a couple of other things so if you were to buy just the light on it's own shipping may be a little less. I had originally been looking at the UP Aqua Pro Z, but opted for the Finnex purely because there seemed to be a lot more information and positive reviews about them world wide.
    I know this was a while ago, but just wondering what you think of your finnex, and how it’s held up on Australia power?