Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: DIY inline heaters - components in Australia?

Can do. PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    faaark.
    i dont have an ebay account, and no paypal either.

wanna order it for me and put in my delivery details? Can add $10 for your time.

received items from X-ON today. very prompt.

and may i just say that mundi is a true gentleman.

[sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

No worries Pil. That was fast delivery. Post a pick when you are done with the build.

old thread but curious to know why people used the cable gland instead of uniseal

Quote Originally Posted by sk1001 View Post
    old thread but curious to know why people used the cable gland instead of uniseal
    You can insert a clear acrylic rod that lines up with the light on the heater so you know when it is on

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    You can insert a clear acrylic rod that lines up with the light on the heater so you know when it is on
    Fair. Have decided to give this a shot on my eheim 150w. Have ordered a free sample from heyco usa and npa. Haven't got any confirmation, did you guys get a email confirmation?

Fair. Have decided to give this a shot on my eheim 150w. Have ordered a free sample from heyco usa and npa. Haven't got any confirmation, did you guys get a email confirmation?
    No idea as I bought mine.

Question for everyone that has a diy heater - does your heater make noise? Mine has a bit of a waterfall sound to it but no air bubbles in the outlet. I'm trying to figure out if the entire enclosure is filled with water. I might fill it with water manually and see what happens

Question for everyone that has a diy heater - does your heater make noise? Mine has a bit of a waterfall sound to it but no air bubbles in the outlet. I'm trying to figure out if the entire enclosure is filled with water. I might fill it with water manually and see what happens
    I have had this problem with my canister and it turned out to be an air leak on the intake!!

I don't see any bubbles in any of the intake or output tubes though. I note that if I restrict the outlet flow by putting my finger partially over the outlet the sound stops. As such I think the chamber is not full. I'm running the test setup with an inline co2 diffuser so I'm going to take that out and try

Update: removed the inline diffuser and still has the trickling noise. Decided to try and put the in on the bottom and the outlet on the top so that the water fills from bottom up and that seems to have done the trick. I think the sound may have been from turbulence generated from hitting the t section when I had the in line at the top. At the bottom the smooth bend of the j section might be preventing that
    Last edited by sk1001; 10-12-18 at 09:01 PM.

Bonus testing and commissioning picture with original setup with in at the top and out at the bottom

In should be from the bottom and out the top otherwise you run the risk of water not covering the entire wand.

I read on a previous thread and on other sites about each setup and I came to the conclusion that if the heater canister was genuinely at capacity it wouldn't matter.

Long story short I'll be going from bottom to top. Also important to understand the value of testing. A found a leak in my bottom tail. If anybody has used the pope branded tails you'll know the plastic is quite soft. In using a wrench I over torqued and cracked the base of the nozzle. So back to Bunnings tonight. I'll run one final 24 hour test with the heater on tonight.

Another disappointing thing, I bought an ISTA stainless steel check valve. I provided the filter outlet with resistance to back flood the co2 line and the check valve was producing drops of water at the end. So the check valve is by no means bulletproof.

Also decided to run the co2 diffuser after the heater. This means any minute chance of filling the heater chamber with gas is eliminated

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617