Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY inline heaters - components in Australia?

I made one up a while ago using PVC end caps and the Heyco fitting. Surprisingly, it took me a couple of attempts to get a reliable long-term seal of the cable gland to the end cap.. The Nylon on the cable gland did not take the PVC plumbing cement. On the 3rd (& final) attempt I cleaned everything and loads of Sikaflex on the threads and around both of the nut/end cap interfaces.

For the outlet end I grabbed a $1 pvc irrigation hose fitting and used the 12mm tail out of it. This has worked well.

You cant have too much Sikaflex !

Someone in the plantedtank thread strategically added some clear rod to the cable gland so that you could see when the heating on light was on. Recommend doing this.

Am happy with the setup overall..

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    I made one up a while ago using PVC end caps and the Heyco fitting. Surprisingly, it took me a couple of attempts to get a reliable long-term seal of the cable gland to the end cap.. The Nylon on the cable gland did not take the PVC plumbing cement. On the 3rd (& final) attempt I cleaned everything and loads of Sikaflex on the threads and around both of the nut/end cap interfaces.

For the outlet end I grabbed a $1 pvc irrigation hose fitting and used the 12mm tail out of it. This has worked well.

You cant have too much Sikaflex !

Someone in the plantedtank thread strategically added some clear rod to the cable gland so that you could see when the heating on light was on. Recommend doing this.

Am happy with the setup overall..
    Ah mate you could have just used thread tape :P

I'm just going to buy a Hydor ETH inline heater, I think! I'll have a Fluval and Eheim 300W heater for sale soon

Hydors inlines are great, just check your pipe size from your canister filter, from memory the hydors only go up to the 16mm outlet... (no good for big filters like fx5 etc)

They have 2 sizes 12mm and 16mm.

I'm waiting for the 12mm to come in at my LFS (already have the 16mm on my other tank)

I have the Eheim 2078 so 16mm is perfect

I made one for someone on this forum a while back. It is the DIY section.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...heater+chamber

You can see the fruit bat poop on the front right of the table. The dark coloured splats.
    Last edited by Dave; 20-06-13 at 07:06 PM.

All these posts are about diy heater chambers, not heaters. On top of these diy chambers you still need a heater and how accurate would they be ? Being so dependent on water flow and heat leakage of relatively thin chambers. Ive played around with some hydor inline heaters - very acurate with on/off temp range, great seals and peace of mind.

This is the supplier i used to get mine. The 25mm one fits your standard 300w heaters, but it's an excellent suggestion to take your heater with you when purchase (just in case)

Bunnings or your local irrigation supplier will handle the rest of your needs. I've had mine running for about 18mths now and haven't had an issue.
    Live your life like no-one's watching!

Come back to doing a DIY heater as my Hydor failed!

Quote Originally Posted by tangcla View Post
    Found what I needed as an off-the-shelf solution; just getting a price on this now.

http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/prod...oduct.php?id=3
    Please share the price when you get it, I'm keen on same

Quote Originally Posted by podilamaya View Post
    Please share the price when you get it, I'm keen on same
    I didn't end up getting it, it was way too expensive (close to $100).

That is way too expensive, much more than a Hydor, considering the Hydor already has a heater. What size was the $100 one? I would have to get the double one to fit my Eheim Jager 300W heater.

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    That is way too expensive, much more than a Hydor, considering the Hydor already has a heater. What size was the $100 one? I would have to get the double one to fit my Eheim Jager 300W heater.
    I think that was for the double.
    Problem is that Aquasonic (the local distributors) aren't keen on selling direct to public, and their authorised distributors either 'don't stock the item', or charge an arm and a leg for it... Plus, the sellers in USA who do sell this, aren't keen to ship outside of America.

Quote Originally Posted by swampy1972 View Post
    This is the supplier i used to get mine. The 25mm one fits your standard 300w heaters, but it's an excellent suggestion to take your heater with you when purchase (just in case)

Bunnings or your local irrigation supplier will handle the rest of your needs. I've had mine running for about 18mths now and haven't had an issue.
    Unlucky me they have stores only in QLD and NSW, not in VIC, shipping cost is more that the item cost :-(

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast