Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Misting system for Paludarium

Default DIY Misting system for Paludarium

Has anyone ever built a DIY misting system for their ter/viv/rip/palad-aria? If so wondering if you'd share your design ideas? Thanks!!

Mods wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move it if needed!
    Last edited by Laura; 20-06-13 at 08:18 PM.

Laura
    if you have the funds check out MistKing's units here. www.livefoods.com.au

This is what I have put in and its great
    droid
    Loudly Deny Everything…
    Admit to Absolutely Nothing…
    Scream Counter Accusations!

Thanks Droid!

Laura
    I also noted that your other thread / link drawing reference to "greenwall" has mistking systems built in
    droid
    Loudly Deny Everything…

Thanks Droid. I'm keen to find a DIY option rather than buying the ready made kit - purely because it's fun putting these things together!

Laura
    If you are after a cheap small option
    I have used windscreen wiper pumps in the past and use one currently in my glasshouse prop bench
    they work well with up to 3 nozzles on them but don't like being run for more than a minute each time as they get hot and wear out quickly if used for to long
    the 12v timers are quite expensive though if you wanted to automate it on a 12v system
    from previous threads I believe Surfydave also experimented with them with good success.

Hey, thanks for that Xylo!

Ive been looking into this as well, have you researched using a 12V pressure pump? Such as the ones used in caravans etc but smaller, then using parts of a garden watering system? depends on the size of the tank though obviously If smaller than 4x2 then probably not worth it (too strong as less nozzles are being used). If you decide to go this route after researching - have a look for a cheap but decent pump on ebay

I looked into it a bit when i was getting a 6x3x2.5 to make into a turtle tank and paludarium but the seller pulled out - Now just doing a 4ft paludarium with a fish section at the bottom and looking at commercial units probably.
    Hope to help. Nick!

Thanks Nick! my tank is a 3ft x 2ft x2ft paludarium. Actually wondering about running a regular garden fine spray head off a small pump? going to have to play around with it as not sure how the pump will cope with the resistance / pressure. Would love to see pics of yours when it's done!

Hi Laura,

This is something I've played around with a little bit thanks to Xylomelum who put me onto the windscreen pumps initially!
    I set mine up very simply and cheaply and didn't use a timer, I just used a push switch to activate it, great untill you go away on hols or are a bit forgetful! Second time around I remade it with a timer which was about $40 from memory, much better untill I forgot to fill the resovoir and burnt the pump out! They do work effectively, cheap and are easy to set up. Next set up was using what Nick suggested, something like this...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160921052...84.m1438.l2649
    That worked great and I really regret selling the system now, I will be making one again sometime soon and will take some photos along the way of the build. Unfortunatly I have no photos of any the previous set ups.

I looked into the mist king set up which is fantastic but like your self I love tinkering and learning from my mistakes too!

Sorry I havnt been too helpful but thought it would be nice to know it can be done!

Fire away with any questions, amongst us all we should come up with some interesting ideas.

Dave

Sounds like a good setup dave!
    Ill probably still make one as i doubt id be 100% happy with a commercial unit (i liek changing the effects in my display allot haha).
    Can't wait to see pics of your next build, as i havent seen anyone really make one like this - just read bits and pieces online.

Remember you could alos buy commercial (mistking or exoterra) pieces if you like some of their stuff but want to customise it (eg: use their nozzles, or suction cups or piping etc).
    Nick

Thanks Surfydave & Nick for your feedback & comments! Has anyone found a timer that does less than 15 min intervals? if so can you point me in the right direction? Ta Muchly!

Laura
    have a look at the digital timers in your local hardware or elecy shop or even ebay
    the ones with the digital displays and they often have many different program options available
    generally it only my pin and dial type timers that do 15min intervals
    my digital ones also require a back up battery in them so they maintain the time and programs in a power outage.

Laura
    I have looked into this as well.
    Most commercially available timers have their limitations. Generally a MAX of 20 programmable intervals (Most have 8-12) with a MIN of 1 minute on. (Brand Excalibur = Bunnings) The timer 'Mistking' supplied does seconds intervals.
    I am sure that there are other timers out there in Aust that are better but I had difficulties finding one.
    This inherent limitation means that you cant even run a 'burst' (say 10 secs) every 30 mins for 12 hours. The timer cannot program to that extent. Max/min would be 1 min on every 40mins roughly for a 12 hour period! Your reservoir/sump would be empty in no time. (Excessive use though)
    Another factor that maybe worth considering is the reservoir/sump water you are going to pump. If its not RO or demineralised, your jets are going to clog up in no time. I believe Adelaide water is pretty mineral chunky (??)
    Just another factor which may not be an issue is where is all the spray going to accumulate? it needs to be drained away otherwise youve got a flood.
    Do not want to appear righteous but these are practicalities I have had to deal with in setting my experimental tank system up.
    Just some thoughts
    droid
    Loudly Deny Everything…

I have a mist system that relies on a demand system. It is a fine stainless steel mesh that is on a balance arm. When the mesh leaf dries out it raises up, the misters come on, then when it gets wet the misters turn off. There is a irrigation solenoid valve wired up to the mercury switch on the mesh balance arm. I can take photos if required. It came from an Horticultural Supplies place in Victoria.

Cheers
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast