Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don's 4x2x2 rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    Yeah, maybe, but it's practically the same size as the 48" x 24" x 24" I have today :-)
    Doh!

And that's where my excellent maths skills get me. This is why I don't answer questions on "how much substrate do I need to cover this tank" etc.
    "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
    Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

I've been away from the forum for a bit.... great looking tank but what a great read, love your commentary and the way you stay upbeat even through the less than ideal conditions some of your plants have been putting you through!

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    ... maybe in my next house (that will be single story, concrete slab with a huge fishroom, micro-brewery room and a shed big enough to teach myself to restore old cars - it will also feature a large, friendly dog instead of a hostile psycho-kitty and exactly zero teenage children).

dcm
    LOL sounds perfect! (maybe not so much for restoring old cars for me, but I could have a stable for my horse)

So here we are three years later. Easter rolled around and I thought to myself “what better way to delight the whole family than by rebuilding my main fish tank”.

I see that the aqua-scaping illuminati generally name their designs, drawing upon a range of enigmatic and zen-like labels such as “reflected mildew”, "puddle of tranquility" and such. Given it’s Easter, I thought I’d give my latest ‘scape a theological name: “The saturation of St Gummarus”.

The old tank was getting a bit hard to drive and a recent explosion of diatom algae had exhausted my patience. I ditched the extravagant fake rock rear wall and discovered nearly a 9 litre bucket full of sludge-of-questionable-origin was in the void – guess that’s where the organics driving the algae were coming from. I also found that my PH probe was wildly wrong and beyond calibration (entombed as it was behind a large fibreglass fake rock wall, I'd gotten a bit lax on maintaining it) so it was a quick trip down to Age of Aquariums as well on what was (fortunately), the only day they were open across the Easter weekend. Bad CO2 and huge hidden biomass probably had something to do with things.

Anyway, it’s back now. Again, 2Toned substrate and a huge prune. This is day zero.

Usual suspects: Lacustrus, Boesmani and a solitary blue eye that miraculously migrated from my giant pond.. I've still got praecox but they're running a colony down in my indoor pond by the front door. Also, somehow my C.Sterbai out-bred my C.Trilineatus. I only fished out two Trilineatus but 14 Sterbai. I'm happy with that, I only ever bought 6 Sterbai to begin with...

don

Wow! What a great read! Your tanks are great! I love how your latest adventure combines lush jungle forest with nice open spaces. Something for every one/fish! I too am a sterbai fan - I had them years ago and they bred like rabbits - as an added bonus they are very pretty, peaceful and entertaining to watch. Its a great layout for them - yours will patrol that sandy front and put on a great display! What are those little mini sword plants amongst the rocks at the front?

Please keep us updated with the progress of this tank!

Quote Originally Posted by Insipid View Post
    What are those little mini sword plants amongst the rocks at the front?
    That's a GREAT question... I'm hoping that somebody else on this forum can match it with a great answer because I can't.... I honestly have no idea but I've been keeping them going in one form or another for nearly 20 years!

don

Looks good Don
    Could the small sword be Echinodorus Parviflorus 'Tropica"?
    Cheers
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by linchpin View Post
    Looks good Don
    Could the small sword be Echinodorus Parviflorus 'Tropica"?
    Thanks! I think you could be right. I looked it up and it fits the bill. It's common name of "rosette sword" rings a bell faintly and its described habit of growing smaller in lower light locations matches my experience with it well.

It's a pretty tough plant.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123