Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CB600 Planted Tank 120L

Default CB600 Planted Tank 120L

Hi all,

Yesterday was a good day. The money raised from the sale of my non planted 6fter was spent on some new gear. I went to Seaview (Aquascape Design's local reseller) and picked up:

Cade CB600 60x45x45 tank and stand
    ADA Amazonia soil x 2 3L
    ADA Nile sand x 2 (approx 10kg)
    Lighting poles

I still need to get a 4x24w light fixture and tubes. I need to find some good dw too (thinking I'll pay Darren a visit).

I may sell my 3ft Angel tank (just the tank, plants, fish, lights and stand) and use the Co2 gear and filter (2215) for the new 2ft tank.

What I aim to achieve

The scape can be seen in this video @ 3min:30sec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xi947lCZnk

My question for now ...

Do ATI lights attach easily to the Aquascape Design wire hanging kit? Or is some modification needed?

Any objections to:

1x ATI AquaBlue Special 24W

1x ATI Purple Plus 24W

1x Giesemann AquaFlora 24W

1x Giesemann Midday 24W

Regards, Brad.
    Last edited by Dantrasy; 18-04-13 at 08:32 PM.

I think the ATI's attach easily to the light poles using the CADE hanging kit. A few members on here look to be using this. I'm sure Adam could help you out (send him an email?) or someone else can chime in. Regarding the lights I would probably use 2 x middays, 1 x aquaflora and one ati purple plus. I'm not sure how much the aquablue special would help? Might be too much unsuitable light and promote algae? This is just uneducated guess though.

This is going to be an awesome journal. Good to see another nature scape, what with all these dutch tanks around at the moment. Haha.
    Joe.

Thanks Joe. I was thinking the blue and purple would provide visual clarity, and others would be for the plants. Perhaps I don't need both. At any rate, I could always change the combo down the track. One purple might be enough.... cant's say... I've never seen ATI or Giesemann tubes in action.

I'm going to see a guy about dw today. Fingers crossed he has some good pieces.

Here are some pics. Despite appearances the nile sand is really a greyish salt & pepper colour.

Wow. That setup looks awesome! I'm thinking of buying the same cafe setup if I can save the money up. Best of luck with the DW.
    Joe.

Got some nice pieces. I'll split some, shorten others. I think this might be enough.

Will follow this thread...

Cade lighting pole is good to hang your ATI unit. If you are getting 4x24, ill suggest what Gomer recommended with your combo, you dont need aquablue (unless you have 8-10 tubes to play with). Some blues do make the appearance nicer but if you are limited to using 4 tubes, i wont sacrifice one tube for blue. In comparison to ATI purple, i actually prefer KZ purple. Have a look at KZ tubes too.

Nile sand can look a little washout under high light, i have some at home too which i didnt end up using. I still prefer Xingu and Sarawak. See if you can exchange if you still havent used them

Your DW will need to be split, its a little too thick for a 2 foot tank. Thick wood for small tank can dwarf your scape. But you should have plenty to play with if you chop and split them. Try to use spindly and narrow ones if you can.

Good luck!
    aLan

Nice driftwood. But as Alan said it looks a little large and cumbersome for your 2ft tank. But if you wanted to mimic the scape in your original post you could break some of the pieces up and use them as the flat, horizontal pieces of wood on the substrate in the pictured scape. You'd then have to find one or two pieces of branching, similar coloured wood that could be positioned vertically. Not easy, but I guess its better to be fully satisfied with your hardscape before you start than to try and tweak a set up scape when its all wet and planted.
    Joe.

Thanks for your advice Joe and Alan.

I've decided to go with your lighting recommendation (2x midday, 1x fiji purple, 1x aquaflora)

ATI fixtures are out of stock locally, so it'll be a couple weeks wait.

I quite like the nile sand. Two other ada options were show to me at the time, but they looked more like gravel than sand. It probably changes a bit when wet, but I like the finer appearance and i'm happy to stick with it. The shop is over an hour drive away too

I'll spend some time messing with the dw Monday. I got it from a guy who just closed down 20 tanks. The pieces I got were the smallest. It would be nice to get hold of a 'branchy' piece like that in the scape i admire so much. It's early days, I'll find something.
    Last edited by Dantrasy; 10-02-13 at 03:07 PM.

Another lighting question guys.

Assuming the price is comparable (which, evidently it is) the choice is between a 10x24w ati power module OR a 4x24w dimmable ati power module.

I like the idea of 4x dimmable, but 10x is just bigger (and better?). The scape i'm planning now probably doesn't need 10 tubes, but down the track i might. I believe 2 of the 10 tubes operate on one power lead, and the others off a second lead. So to make the unit work I'd need to be using 8 tubes.

8 tubes cost twice as much as 4 (give or take due to brands/colours). The extra tubes would be the only extra cost with the 10x option.

10 tubes is overkill and the unit will overhang over the front and back of the tank (very wide and very heavy too). It's made for 2ft cube SPS reef tanks.

Just get a 4x or 6x unit, you will be very happy

Thanks for clearing that up Craig. My gut told me to go with the 4x dimmable, but i just wanted to put it out there.

You definitely wont need 10, and as Craig advised, it will be too big for your tank anyway. My 8 tube ATI unit just slightly shy of 60cm width.
    And i dont know if you realise, for a 10 tube ATI fixture, you can only control 2 tubes in one cord, and 8 tubes in another cord. Same for 8 tubes unit too.
    For a 2 foot tank with 4 tubes, you can grow almost anything if you look after your tubes well, get the changed every 10-12 months and make sure your reflectors a re clean
    aLan

After splitting some of the wood I made a bit of an arrangement. There's a bit too much dw atm. I think the 'stump' could be lowered so less protrudes above the substrate. And I don't like the way the main piece resembles a gun But here some pics anyway, just to show what I’m working with.

That's beautiful, nicely done. I like the present height too, might look slightly taller with the soil but should be fine.
    aLan

Quote Originally Posted by NewFishTank View Post
    That's beautiful, nicely done. I like the present height too, might look slightly taller with the soil but should be fine.
    Thanks Alan.

Still, I might try another arrangement of two. I have pics of this one ... I could always come back to it. I'll still keep the street/sectional structure thing I have going, I can definitely see the advantages of that when planting. I have to remember that lots of dw showing isn't necessarily bad, with the right plants any amount could be covered up.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast