Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1st planted tank: Olinda

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk_M View Post
    Thanks Nautilusly, wasn't sure if male or female. I pinged HeavyD for some Sunkist, he used to keep a very nice colony; but no longer.

I purchased some very juvenile ones recently, but as per my post, none survived. Perplexed, and reluctant to get more until I can get to the bottom of why shrimp aren't surviving.

I have had a planaria problem, and treated with no-planaria as per the instructions. It seems to have brought the planaria under control. Can't be sure if it was the cause of shrimp loss.
    i've read somewhere that no-planara can affect juvenile shrimps more than adult shrimps.

and i am sure that's a female. i havent seen sunkist shrimps around for a while, hope someone is breeding them

Wow just read the whole thread about the evolution of this tank. Really love the mound of anubis!

FYI if you want to avoid those flares, you need to either move your camera, or your lights. You might be able to use a polarising filter to 'cut' them out but this reduces amount of light getting in to the sensor.

Nautilusly, I have a feeling there's a bacterial problem with the tank, affecting the shrimp. Googling the symptoms - red patch on head, pinkish body, upright position - and several forums suggest bacterial infection. Don't want to add an anti-bacterial for fear it will mess up filter.

Thanks for your interest Rebel, and the tip on photos. Will play around with moving the overhead light when next I take some snaps. Yes, that Anubias mound is out of control. Needs a good trim. It's blocking a lot of light.

Cheers,
    Dirk.

Awesome tank man You had some tough times with this tank with all the algae but it came out awesome in the end! Having algae issues now myself, so happy to see you won the war eventually, gives me hope haha.

As for the glare, you have a few options. Polariser as per Rebel's suggestions. I find if you turn all lights off in the room and shoot when its dark and keep lens parallel to glass you will have no glare/reflection at all. If your shooting livestock and getting glare, than put your lens right up against the glass will prevent the glare. Than you have the final way of using things to block the light causing the glare (usually i just use my body positioned accordingly).

Thanks Indir - yep, it's been a rollercoaster, but fantastic learnings. Natural maturation of the tank over time, a regular maintenance routine, regular dosing routine, optimal CO2 and light balance, a dash of persistence and patience, and listening to the advice of many experienced folk who've travelled the same path, and voila...

Thanks for the photography tips.

Cheers, Dirk.

Default Update

@Rebel, you asked for photo update of tank I take my anubius clippings from.

Tank has been going for 4 years and 7 months.

Same substrate.

Most plants have been grown in tank for 3 years plus. Can't recall the last time I added anything new (I'd need to go back over this thread).

EI dosing, and weekly (some times fortnightly) 50% water changes. Trim, replant, repeat...

Cheers,
    Dirk.

@Dirk, many thanks for posting this. I now remember this tank.

Loving it to bits. You must have one of the longest running nice scape on the forum by far.

Default Shutdown

All good things must come to an end... and it's with some sadness that, after 5 years and some months, this tank is being pulled down.

We're knocking down this old house and building a new one. In the plans is a space for a fish room (budget willing). Unfortunately the current tanks won't fit in the rental

All the plants are being shipped off to a forum member for safe keeping until I can start up again.

I do however have 7 lonely chilli Rasboras looking for a new home. Free to a regular contributor to AL. Pickup only: East Kew, Melbourne. Must be in the next couple of days (as electricity will be abolished at the old house soon). PM if interested.

Final pics of old tank:

and tear down:

Chilli Rasboras looking for a new home:

So sad to see it go! I remember posting in this thread some 5 years ago now.
    Have PM'd you re chillis

It was a great run!! Well done.

What was that strappy plant that was growing emersed??? Cypress helferi?

Good luck with the build.

Thanks Rebel. That is Erio Lividum. One of the original plants in the tank, so more than 5 years old. Purchased from Adrian at Exotic Aquatic. I hope it survives it's trip interstate and continues to grow well at its new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk_M View Post
    Thanks Rebel. That is Erio Lividum. One of the original plants in the tank, so more than 5 years old. Purchased from Adrian at Exotic Aquatic. I hope it survives it's trip interstate and continues to grow well at its new home.
    Ah very interesting! Thanks.

I am sure we will see you back here before you know it!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345