Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saltwater to Freshwater Aquascape

Default Saltwater to Freshwater Aquascape

Hi everyone,

Due to work and lifestyle commitments, its been a few years since Ive been serious about running a fully planted tank.
    Alas, the bug has well and truly bit again and Ive some grand plans for an Angel tank.
    I recently picked up on Ebay what im hoping is a bargain and will yield in a few months a lush landscaped tank.

Now for the curly one, the tank use to be set up as a saltwater tank, the descriptions and images are as follows:

the tank is euro braced made from st George aquarium.tank measures 91cm long x 50cm high x 36cm wide.tank is drilled and comes with all quality fittings
    tank sits on a 2 door cabinet that measures 96cm long x 40cm wide x 75cm high.
    the tank is filtered by a sump that measure 60cm x 30cm x 30cm.(i was using a deep sand bed )
    the return pump is an eheim 1100-360 35w 1000-2000 , also included is a 150w jager heater that will need replacing shortly.also included is fine coral sand .
    the light is a SunSun HLD- 950E 1 x 150W + 2 x 39W+2 x LED +Fans

im picking it up tomorrow night but im hoping for a few tips for cleaning it out, the sand will be dumped and I have a 200w heater from my previous tanks so most of the equipment needed for setup I have.

Firstly, what are your thoughts on the light? I have only ever run fluros on my tanks and have no experience with halogens and especially something with this many different light types.

Secondly, I am really hoping to use the background in the tank but am concerned about the pink (possibly algae) coating left from thew saltwater setup, I plan to scrub it clean but does anyone have experience with this and problems associated with it?

Ill post again when I pick it up and have a good look at it.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Well, the Advice didn't exactly come rushing so I took a chance and seem to have come up with a win. After scrubbing the sculptured back drop with everything from wire brushes to power drills and angle grinders (kid you not) they are spotless and reinstalled. The sump received a few partitions and is now a 5 chamber filter system with an unexpected protein skimmer (not sure if this is a good thing or not) The tank is full of water, no leaks and is soaking driftwood at the moment. Best $100 ever spent!
    I'll hopefully have some pics this week of the updates.
    Last edited by DTB; 26-11-12 at 05:31 AM.

Oh, looks like the light is so so but with 2 new tubes for the t5s and some foil will do for the moment.

Did you say you are running a protein skimmer on this tank?

Quote Originally Posted by pleco4me View Post
    Did you say you are running a protein skimmer on this tank?
    Sort of, the inlet pipe to my sump is corrugated and creates a lot of bubbles entering the sump tank. I have some wood soaking in the tank at the moment and the leaching from the wood is causing the air bubbles to foam a little and collect the rubbish at the top like a protein skimmer I think. Here's an image of the bubbles and rubbish collecting at the top,

this will just be skimmed out with a net periodically. This will hopefully calm down when I add the substrate and plants and get the biology settled in the tank. Im not sure if this will be permanent, would it matter if it does???

Heres a shot of the front of the sump, a fine filter wool section and heater run in an opposite direction down the other side.

Pleco4me, you may be able to help me, heres a shot of the driftwood ive bought, I assumed it was Golden vine but it didnt have the usual tags ive seen around. Would golden vine stain the water as much as in the picture and does golden vine look like this??

I bought it at an aquarium in Hurstville NSW and now im doubting if its real GV, the timber is very dense so Im sure its not grape vine but Im definately no expert on the driftwoods available now days

A bit hard to tell by the picture, but it doesn't look like the gold vine we see in Perth. Nonetheless, it looks like a nice bit of wood! The tannins will disappear in time.

Are you able to have the drain from the tank going to the left side of the sump? That would encourage water to travel through the filter medium before going to the return pump. The current setup looks like water is not forced to travel through the filter medium.

Well done! Good buy IMO.
    I love that DW and I'm also a big fan of black water aquariums. BTW the Angels would love the tannins.

Nice tank, and nice driftwood. Although It doesn't look like there is too much room for the angels to swim around in there - especially when they reach full size. Its a bit hard to tell from the photos though, i'm sure you have a much better perspective standing in front of it.

Can't wait to see it planted.
    I'll try anything twice.

Quote Originally Posted by pleco4me View Post
    A bit hard to tell by the picture, but it doesn't look like the gold vine we see in Perth. Nonetheless, it looks like a nice bit of wood! The tannins will disappear in time.

Are you able to have the drain from the tank going to the left side of the sump? That would encourage water to travel through the filter medium before going to the return pump. The current setup looks like water is not forced to travel through the filter medium.
    Hers a few shots of the filter and the flow through it (excuse the crappy overlay) I had to modify the glass already silconed to it, it was running as a "Sand base saltwater filter" what ever that was.

This does give the water a lot longer moving around the filter which i dont mind and the heater sits nicely in the section just before the outlet. the water levels at 20mm below each compartment to keep the flow true and if it clogs up the water flows directly into the outlet section and just returns to the tank. Any tips on running it better, making changes??

Ozmo, thats very reassuring about the tannins, cheers

Dollarpots, the driftwood is just soaking at the moment getting nice and heavy, I plan to put it all apart and set two pieces up on either side so there will be a nice open section in the middle from front to back and across the length of the front for the angels to stretch their fins. Im feeling this will be a very long setup period!

A small update on the tank, after committing to the idea of cheap substrate that works (thanks to 2Tones thread) I took a trip to bunnings and the bargains kept on coming.
    A ripped bag of river sand with 15 kgs left, $4.
    A bag of marble chips also torn with half still in it, $2.
    I got the blood and bone with potash from a friend and lo and behold I found some Flourite left in the garage from a few years ago.

Ok, the propagating sand cost me full price, $5.95 a pack but sometimes you have to suck it on retail!

It looks like ill be staying in this weekend!

Apologies for peering over your shoulder (figuratively speaking) but do you plan to wash any of the sand (river and/or propagating)?
    Or is it best to leave all the sandy goodness in and let it naturally settle?

Looking forward to your next update!!

No worries Ozmo, appreciate you having a look. I got the recipe from another thread on this forum

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...generating-sub

Im only new to the forum as well but everything ive read has convinced me that i cant go wrong with this one. Everyone raves about it and its worth a try for the little its cost. Look up other threads from 2Toned, he knows his business!

Well, the timber DEFINATELY isnt Gold Vine and I think it was overpriced for whatever it is but it does have a great shape and makes an impressive statement. Hopefully the tannins wont leach for too long. Its getting heavy but its not quite there but I decided that its enough to trim it to the shapes and attach the plants and ill weigh it down with rocks for awhile. Im trying to achieve a heavy river bank look, overgrown and lots of shelter for the angels. Im hoping the plants will fill in the timber and soften the size of the piece on the right over time, its a little larger than i had anticipated. Ive attached Anubius, NL java, normal java and (what i hope is) Xmas moss to the timber. There is also a nice piece of Anubius at the water line which should look really good growing out of the water in time.

Heres a few images of the progress so far...

wow that looks great so far and bargin is an understatement for everything you received! best of luck and cant wait to see the final outcome!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast