Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nerite snails

Default Nerite snails

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with snails of the genus Neritina? I know they're used o/s for algae control, and apparently have a non fw larval stage (the species that's used anyway).... so particularly for any of our members from overseas, any experience - good/bad/indifferent?

I know from my handy dandy university text that the genus is found here in australia in marine, brackish and fresh water environments, but my text book isn't quite dandy enough to tell me which species there are, or exactly where they're distributed. I wonder if we look hard enough, we may be able to collect a species of Neritina for use in the aquarium?
    Cheers,

Rufus

"I completely lost it. Well, okay, that sounded more awesome than what I really did, which was yell. And by yelling I mean sending a bunch of TEXT MESSAGES ALL IN CAPS!"

Default Nerite snails

Hi Rufus

i was interested in these guys as well.Asked about locally and came up with nothing.
    Please keep us posted if you have any luck, although us WA members seem to have a real problem with snails.For some reason our government bodies dont think we should allow snails in.I think they have a misguided reason behind it.

Graeme
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Default Nerita snails

I have been on the Nerita trail ever since they were bought to my attention by Bruce Hansen as a possible algae cleaning tool. The local snail expert here in the NT Museum doesn't have any locations but believes there may be some species, one in particular that will most likely be found in small fast rocky streams near the coast. I have been looking in all the creeks and rivers for snails. The species found so far have been photographed and when identified I will put the picture on the ANGFA database.

Any that I find that are suitable as aquarium species I will apply to the NT Government to have them placed on my aquaculture licence.

I try to find out why Governments place bans on things. The snails carry life stages of parasites that can affect humans and domestic animals. I think only one species is involved but because all snails look alike they ban them all for ease of administration.

When you make a complaint about the administrative practises they put it on industry to come up with the funding to prove the others safe. They call this the practise envoking the precautionary principle. there are a couple of pages on the precautionary principle on wikipedia.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Hi Rufus

i was interested in these guys as well.Asked about locally and came up with nothing.
    Please keep us posted if you have any luck, although us WA members seem to have a real problem with snails.For some reason our government bodies dont think we should allow snails in.I think they have a misguided reason behind it.

Graeme

I believe that Nerites are overrated. They do help with the algae, especially the algae that encrusts stones. But they are very inconsistent - they can clean a small area and then move away leaving it "unfinished". Here's an example from one of my tanks:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ddasega/...54049151549458

10 Nerites in a 60 liter tank do very little to keep it clean. Their white eggs (looking like scattered sesame seeds, just snow white) are not that big of a nuisance but are somewhat hard to scrub.

Some suppliers actually ship Nerites that feel happier in brackish water. In a freshwater tank they hang by the water surface and even above it, never go lower or eat any algae. I guess such brackish water Nerites need an acclimation period but I've never heard a successful story with them. Also some people have tried to get the Nerites sold for saltwater tanks and acclimate them gradually to freshwater, but there was never a definite answer if that could be done or not.

Amano shrimp do much better job cleaning algae. The Nerites could look pretty decorative if you get the ones with the striped shells. But other than that they have the efficiency of an Otocinclus - very much an animal that brushes the debries off the plant leaves when it moves over them...

--Nikolay

Can we get these in AU?

Neritina-zebra-snail

Default WA Nerite

There are a few that look a bit like that. I know this is an old thread but I am trying to get interested people to have a go a breeding these things that have such an interesting life history.

Pictured are some from the Kimberley in WA. The photos were taken by a friend of mine.

Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    There are a few that look a bit like that. I know this is an old thread but I am trying to get interested people to have a go a breeding these things that have such an interesting life history.

Pictured are some from the Kimberley in WA. The photos were taken by a friend of mine.

Cheers
    Dave
    They look great Dave. Would love to get some in my tank are you stocking these?
    What's involved in breeding them, in terms of water conditions etc?

These are brackish breeders aren't they? Have you had much luck with them Dave?
    Chris -my tank

Those are GORGEOUS!

Dave, I still have most of the mud nerites I got from you last time; I kept them in brackish conditions for almost 2 years and have recently accluimated them to fresh. I tried two from the initial batch in a FW tank, to which they acclimated without an issue. They did pretty well in there, but the REALLY don't fare well again filter inlets :/

The remaining ones are still doing well, hanging out in a moderate-hardness tank with some M. pygmaeus, M. Lacustris, and some seep gobies.

I took some pucs last week, actually, will drag them off the camera this weekend...

While I kept them in the brack tank, they laid HEAPS of eggs, but I never did see and veligers (sp?). They may need slightly different conditions (higher salinity/temp?) or certain foods. It's also likely that different species might have different success in FW. Would really love to get these breeding but, as always for me, it's an issue of time...
    Cheers,

Rufus

"I completely lost it. Well, okay, that sounded more awesome than what I really did, which was yell. And by yelling I mean sending a bunch of TEXT MESSAGES ALL IN CAPS!"

I have another undescribed species from the Daly River, it is in fresh water about 90 km from the sea, a good hope for one that may breed in fresh. The Daly is hard and alkaline. I'll take some pics of it soon. The snail is dull grey more narrow shell than the other local mud nerite, much less colourful.

Cheers
    Dave

Dave,
    Since we're talking about nerites and undesribed nerites I was wondering if you had any ideas on the indentity of this type of nerite. All I know is that it came from up north possibly Cape York region. I have three of them which are mainly nocturnal, during the day they tend to either hide or just stick on one place in the tank. Its an open topped tank but they have not wondered off and only occasionally will they even have their "noses" barely out of the water. Only once have I seen eggs on one of the shells ( only three white egg cases at that), which stayed in place for ages but I never did see any larval anything in their tank. But then its pretty insanely overgrown with mosses and does have endlers in the tank.

See if you can get a photo from directly above and I'll send the ventral photo and the above photo to Vince Kessner. Vince has given me the location of the undescribed species in the Daly River and he is used as the snail man by the Federal Govt Dept of Sustainability, Env, water,populations etc as their snail expert. he lives here in the NT and knows most snails in the bush personally. His qualifications as stated by him at the last Bush Blitz survey are "Snail Collector". Vince just told me of another undescribed Notopala that is bigger than N.waterhousei. The cost of an id is a specimen, so if one dies send it to me and I'll give the shell to Vince.

Wish I had known about needing a specimen sooner, when I first got them one had a hole in its shell that it eventually died from, but the other 3 have been powering along.
    Here is an above picture I took when they first arrived. If you need one closer let me know.

I sent the pics off to Vince, I hope he has time to answer.

Just moved into our new house and I've got loads of space! Happy to attempt breeding some in a few different small tanks specifically for this purpose if anyone wants to give me a direction to go in.

Renting previously I never had the space to breed anything as seriously as I'd liked. Four bedrooms when we only need one.... I smell a fish room of sorts coming on!
    I'll try anything twice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast