Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nerite snails

Hahaha, oh dear - as expected, my snails have been getting romantic. However, they've not laid eggs anywhere useful: they've laid them on themselves.

I guess I should put in a couple of pieces of slate and keep my fingers crossed.

Hi all,

Did a stupid thing yesterday. Been cycling a new scape for the past 2 1/2 weeks and a couple of days ago noticed that the ammonia smell is gone from the water. Tried putting in a Nerite I have in another tank to clean some of the developing algae/bacteria film. Bad move, in the morning the snail's keeled over dead.

Lesson learned : Nerite's are sensitive to water quality

Nice snails! I have a bit of a soft spot for them even though my partner thinks they are gross. If anyone wants another person to have a shot at breeding any I have a few extra tanks, spare equipment and a large rock covered in algae (currently being used to hold down some goldvine in another tank) and would be willing to give it a shot. Would love to try some natives at some stage.

And yeah, I find most snails hate ammonia. I once put a mystery snail in a bowl when I was treating a fish once and accidentally overfed. It swelled up and it took me days of air treatments to revive. And that is one of the tougher species that can go invasive...

Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post
    And yeah, I find most snails hate ammonia. I once put a mystery snail in a bowl when I was treating a fish once and accidentally overfed. It swelled up and it took me days of air treatments to revive. And that is one of the tougher species that can go invasive...
    What do you mean by air treatments?

It's an emergency treatment for snail ammonia poisoning. If the snail has ammonia poisoning their flesh gets all swollen and in the case of trapdoor type snails they are stuck all crinkled up half out of their shell. You can sometimes make the swelling go down and revive them by taking them out of water and leaving them on a moist cool plate for 15 mins then putting them back in the water. Then repeat as necessary although you don't want to do more than 6 times a day.

Some kind of chemical reaction with the air makes the swelling decrease and then they can survive. If you have a poisoned snail that's still alive it's worth a shot.

Wow Vil you are absolutely right. I thought I've lost my nerite (lying on its back with the flesh half outside the shell) but I returned it to the old tank anyway and last night it was up and about again as if nothing's happened.

So it works on other snails too? Good to know. Did you need to air it or did the clean water fix it up by itself? Glad your nerite got better!

I think that if they are not dead (obvious because they decay really quickly and stink) there is a decent chance poisoned snails can be revived. Doesn't seem to have any long term negative impacts either. The one I almost killed is now around twice the size it was.

I read your air treatment reply after I plunked it back into the old tank, so no air treatment, only clean water

Now if only I can find the other nerite I also added to the cycling tank. Might be hard to find as it's only tiny and might got itself wedged somewhere in an unseen nook...

Hey everyone, I've been following the nerite trail to land here.... Do we have an oz candidate to eat our GSA?

Hey there. How have the nerites been? Still have some all these years later?

I put some adults in a brackish tank, I also put eggs in there as well, the tank also has a couple of species of motile algae, one species 10 microns and the other 40 microns. Nothing noticed, the tank is for goby fry raising attempt number 31.

Hi Dave, Have you kept the nerites in soft water long term? Mine seems to be doing ok in quite soft water (kh 1) so far. However I will keep adding a smidgen of CaCO3 into this tank regularly for him.

I keep these snails in a mudskipper aquarium, about 3ppt salinity and pH about 7.5. Where I find the snails is full fresh soft water and I have noticed some are shell damaged. The snails are never far from tidal influence and after reading and hearing from the Museum Mallacologist (spelling ?, snail scientist), their larvae, about a dozen hatch from that small white egg pod. They drift into the marine estuarine environment as swimming larvae, until they become sedentary and crawl back to the fresh water. I have put logs covered with egg pods into the marine culture but as yet have not seen any little nerites.

Thanks Dave.

Yes mine had a defect when I bought it but it has remained the same since September 2017 in the same tank.

By the way it seems to love eating GDA and even mows down BBA to a degree. Also eats GSA but not 100% . perhaps an army of them might.

Mine does not lay any eggs that I have seen. Perhaps the water quality is too soft??

It would be very difficult to create such a gradient of salt to fresh for the home aquarist though. Have you isolated any larvae?

Too much going on to get that far into it. I have been able to breed some of the salt to fresh to salt back to fresh life histories. However I have no idea what snail larvae look like and how bigthey may be, perhaps about 40 to 50 microns same size as mussel larvae but I may be wrong. there will be info on their size somewhere.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast