Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nerite snails

This text came from somewhere off the WWW. I dont know who wrote it but I have tried the method with two species I have here and nothing has happened. Someone on this forum sent it to me, thanks, it is a starting point. I have thousands of eggs to use but ...
    __________________________________________________ ____

Breeding Nerite Snails

1. Pick an item with some good algae growth to it. Place this item where your Nerite well be. FRESH, SALT OR BRACKISH WATER. What temp isn’t important. Water quality should be at the best possible. I personally like using drift wood. Driftwood has tons of algae for these baby to feed.

2. Wait a few days. Until you see a good amount of eggs on item/decor. These eggs look like little sesame seeds. WARNING DONT TRY TO REMOVE THESE EGGS BY SCRAPPING THEM. You'll pop the shell. Wait about 72 hours to get a nice size decor with eggs on them.

3. Set up a small tank. I’m using a 1 gallon tank to nurse the babies nitrites. A air bubble line that is set very low 1bubble ever 2 seconds. Also a marine/saltwater (freshwater salt wont work). Why salt and not brackish. The reason is once these Nertie are born at this stage they need all the calcium and mineral to develop a health strong shell. Which well increase the level of survival as juveniles. I had little luck with brackish water. My percentage increased about 80 percent when I’ve hatched Nerite in fully saltwater tank. I usually fill the saltwater level just enough to cover the decor/driftwood.(this is where youll place your decor cover with eggs)

4. Usually about every 3 days I well perform a 50 percent water change. Don’t want your snail to die from bad water. This is easy to do. Don’t be lazy takes less then 5 mins.

5. Once your eggs are hatching. Theyll hatch at a very slow rate. You’ll see that they're very small larvae. You can feed them algae that's on your décor or driftwood. If not you can head to your local aquarium or pet shop. And purchase some algae chips.
    Chop these algae chips into small fine grains. And drop them in your tank. Feed them by eye. If you don’t see any food. Give them food.

6. Once you see a nice shine to the shell on your snail, its time to move them. This process can take weeks. I don’t recommend one or 2 days. They'll die on you. Purchase a small measuring device. The measurement I am using is ML. For my one gallon tank. I would treat about gallon of freshwater(for people out there that don’t know what Im talking about treating your water. Neutralizing water from harmful chemicals using(Tetra Aqua Clear (or any other brand).Simply ever morning take out 10ml of tank water. Replace 5Ml in the morning and 5ML at night. For a full month. This step is only for freshwater tanks. For brackish or salt. Just lower the level of salt until you reach your tanks ppm. For a safe entry.

Interesting read Dave, and thanks for sending off the photos of my snails.

It is not mine, I would like to give a credit to the author but cant. Vince had gone off to Timber Creek last I heard but I'll find him with the email or he will come home eventually.

Cheers
    Dave

Vince has identified the Nerite from Qld

Your Nerita sp. from Queensland is Neritina pulligera (Linnaeus, 1767), common nerita from freshwater streams under tidal influence. They are all over Indo-Pacific.
    The shell coloration varies slightly, but is basically black with stripy operculum. I have in my collection specimens from Mowbray River near Port Douglas, Johnson River near Innisfail….Tahiti, Japan etc. Those on the picture are from East Timor. Cheers Vince PS – I am not sure about the name of the Neritina sp. from Kimberley, but will keep trying to find out.

Attached Files Attached Files

dollarpots
    Send me a PM with your details and I will send some nerites when you are set up to grow some, check the breeders notes which may be from OS.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dollarpots View Post
    Just moved into our new house and I've got loads of space! Happy to attempt breeding some in a few different small tanks specifically for this purpose if anyone wants to give me a direction to go in.

Renting previously I never had the space to breed anything as seriously as I'd liked. Four bedrooms when we only need one.... I smell a fish room of sorts coming on!

The dark grey nerite from the Daly River may be a good one for freshwater aquariums. It was fount about 70 km upstream from the sea. the water is very freshj but hard and alkaline, under the influence of limestone springs. Pictured is one that passed away. Also the egg packets they lay are larger than the Mud Nerites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are there any which survive well in slightly acidic, soft water?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    dollarpots
    Send me a PM with your details and I will send some nerites when you are set up to grow some, check the breeders notes which may be from OS.

Cheers
    Dave
    Thanks Will do.

Sounds like I only need 2 tanks to attempt this. And as i'm close to the beach getting marine saltwater shouldn't be too much of an issue either.

Give me a few weeks to finish some reno's on the house and in the meantime i'll start trying to grow some algae on some DW. By the end of the month I should have the time to build a shelf that can hold the freshwater & the saltwater tanks. Should have enough heaters, lights and small internal filters to fit out both tanks.
    I'll try anything twice.

Thanks for finding out their identity. Because of the tidal influence comment I am guessing these guys are definanatly brackish breeders.

Some pics of a Daly River nerite that I received from Dave today:

Mud nerite (left) vs Daly River nerite (right):

WEB5D3_2013-1271 by cy1234, on Flickr

Underside of Daly River nerite.. (EDIT: it does have a flap, its just hidden) :

WEB5D3_2013-1274 by cy1234, on Flickr

Side view:

WEB5D3_2013-1277 by cy1234, on Flickr
    Last edited by watfish; 12-07-13 at 06:56 AM.

I am going to get a few more of those darker ones shortly. The mud nerites are nice. Nice photos. I think most of the nerites in Oz are brackish breeders. Imagine how long it takes them to crawl 90 km, that is approx how far that dark one is from the sea. I may try it in a very hard alkaline pond with lots of algae and see what happens. I suppose it may breed in fresh but many of the critters up this way are poorly studied.

Cheers
    Dave

I have some nerite snails in my tank and was really surprised when they started laying their little sesame-seed eggs. You can imagine the double surprise I got when I started seeing a few tiny oval jellies moving round near the other eggs! I thought they wouldn't hatch without brackish water. I've not seen any get past the size of a grain of rice though, so whether the fish picked them off or the water conditions weren't right I don't know.

I also read somewhere that some types of Nerite are also not hermaphrodites (e.g. you need both a male and female for eggs) - not sure how true that is but last night I spotted my two 'having a bit of a chat' in one corner of the tank. I'll try and post a pic later to you can see them - I'm also a bit concerned that I am becoming so fascinated with snails rather than the hoards of nano fish in my tank!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_D View Post
    I have some nerite snails in my tank and was really surprised when they started laying their little sesame-seed eggs. You can imagine the double surprise I got when I started seeing a few tiny oval jellies moving round near the other eggs! I thought they wouldn't hatch without brackish water. I've not seen any get past the size of a grain of rice though, so whether the fish picked them off or the water conditions weren't right I don't know.
    If you get any on a rock or leaf that you care to donate i'm setting up some tanks to try and breed them. This might help speed the process up if I can get my hands on some eggs straight away!
    I'll try anything twice.

I'll keep an eye for a fresh batch, especially as I have a tank rebuild scheduled shortly - most of the time I see them on the glass rather than rocks. Also if I see a couple of tiny live ones I'll let you know - you might have more luck raising them than me and we're both Melbourne so transport shouldn't be a problem.
    Something to bear in mind though are my 'accidental' water parameters which have enabled the laying/hatching - my KH and GH are always pretty high (I can get the exact numbers when I check my notebook at home). Even if those aren't ideal for the raising of Nerites they'd probably need to be acclimatized if that's not what you've got set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_D View Post
    I'll keep an eye for a fresh batch, especially as I have a tank rebuild scheduled shortly - most of the time I see them on the glass rather than rocks. Also if I see a couple of tiny live ones I'll let you know - you might have more luck raising them than me and we're both Melbourne so transport shouldn't be a problem.
    Something to bear in mind though are my 'accidental' water parameters which have enabled the laying/hatching - my KH and GH are always pretty high (I can get the exact numbers when I check my notebook at home). Even if those aren't ideal for the raising of Nerites they'd probably need to be acclimatized if that's not what you've got set up.
    Yeah thanks, if they are on the glass I think they won't be any good. Otherwise if you find some on something you can move its worth the chance if you don't have the brackish water to try and hatch/raise them. Let me know how you go when you re-scape.
    I'll try anything twice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast