Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cade Mini in da house

Default Cade Mini in da house

This is going to be my Summer project. So far I've collected a 2213 filter (free from my brother), 6lts of ADA AS, cylinder and reg/solenoid. And some gear is due to come in the post from EA next week: lily pipes, hand-on diffuser and glass check valves.

The rock is from a bonsai shop. Can anyone name it? The closest I've got is 'cliff stone', but that's doesn't bring up much in the search results.

This will be an iwagumi attempt. I'm thinking of having just one rock, back left. And only use HC. The slope on the left sweeps up steep so there's HC on top back half of the rock. The soil in front of the rock and to the right of the rock will flatter, level with the bottom of the rock.

Suggestions to make this better will be much appreciated. I haven't ordered the HC yet. I'm open to other ideas for plants. Thanks, Brad.

I love those CADE nanos
    Hmm wonder if I can have your address and come steal yours ( joke )

Cant wait to enjoy this thread and follow your tank

Graeme
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Those Cade nano's are a really cool kit.
    I'm sure you'll have a great time setting that up.
    Really nice primary stone, my only suggestion would be to see if you could get 2 more smaller stones (same type) and just have them flanking the primary. It will help accenutate that primary stone.
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by slipperyfingers View Post
    Those Cade nano's are a really cool kit.
    I'm sure you'll have a great time setting that up.
    Really nice primary stone, my only suggestion would be to see if you could get 2 more smaller stones (same type) and just have them flanking the primary. It will help accenutate that primary stone.
    Enjoy!
    Yes, this will be fun. By Christmas I should have it all up and running.

Two more smaller stones would be nice, but alas, none were to found at the bonsai shop. The only other piece of the same stone was about the same size and almost featureless. It could have been mistaken for a white square paving brick. If i knew the stone's exact name I might be able to find it somewhere. I'll keep looking, I'm always looking for nice rocks.

I went to another bonsai shop today (well some guy's backyard), and found what looks to be a big piece of maten stone. 2.5 - 3 times bigger than the stone in the pic above. It's too big for the cade mini, but i bought it anyway (only cost $6). I might be able to brake it up into smaller pieces. If successful I'll post some pics. If not, it's probably going in the garden.

Nice start . Love the solo rock.

The rock is yuan.
    "You wouldnt have that problem with a V8"

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Nice start . Love the solo rock.

The rock is yuan.
    Thanks for the id Loach. It's a bit chalky. I'll boil it up prior to filling.

loving the single rock placement... this is gonna be very nice!

Really love the mini Cade. Can't wait for an update.

The rock is from a bonsai shop. Can anyone name it? The closest I've got is 'cliff stone', but that's doesn't bring up much in the search results.
    I have a heap of this stuff in my nano. Its a stunning type of rock. I think I bought it as 'tortoise shell' rock. It comes from pisces natural products. Be careful about hardness though. I cant seem to get mine down. It buffers the water a lot so consider some macropore gold in your filter or some peat moss. I think with just the 1 stone you should be fine though.

Thanks Zane. Looking at the pics on the Pisces Natural Products site the rock I have appears to be Yuan (like Loach said). Tortoise shell is a bit lighter in colour. Anyway, I contacted the business (out of curiosity mostly) to see what 2 small pieces would cost.

Spent a few mins today shaping some dense foam. I'm guessing this stuff is ok to use? Thinking of using toothpicks to stick it together.

I don't think pisces will sell direct but do you have any City Farmers stores near you? They stock the full pisces range .
    That foam makes the scape sit well, but wouldn't it float? Also Im not sure how it would go underwater for a long period of time it might break down. Happy to stand corrected though. When Elevating my scape I used slate tiles and pavers. Haven't run into any problems as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
    I don't think pisces will sell direct but do you have any City Farmers stores near you? They stock the full pisces range .
    That foam makes the scape sit well, but wouldn't it float? Also Im not sure how it would go underwater for a long period of time it might break down. Happy to stand corrected though. When Elevating my scape I used slate tiles and pavers. Haven't run into any problems as yet.
    I sent Pisces an email and I got an automated response acknowledging receipt of my query and was told an answer will shortly follow. But i never heard back. Anyway, i'll be sure to check out City Farmers next time i'm in town.

The foam structure is made of 3 pieces and I've stuck it together with skewers. The rock and the soil will stop it from floating.

Picked up an inline heater yesterday and the gear from EA should arrive in the post this week - diffuser, lilly pipes etc. Can't wait.

The gear from AE arrived today and everything was packed very well. Only the wrong size shrimp guard was sent. I'll have to email Adrian about that.

The package of goodies hyped me up so I found time to add the soil (approx 4.5ltrs). I'm still thinking HC and I'd love to add fissidens to some of the cracks.

Oooo very nice! That gear is stunning - I have always wanted to try one of the balloon lily pipes! Agreed that a HC lawn will look great. You could even try some mini stems behind the rock?

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast