Thread: Small native catfish

Default Small native catfish

I know we have got quite a few catfish kicking around, but what is the smallest Australian native catfish? Most appear to reach a foot or more, and I was wondering if there was anything about bristlenose sized.

I think P. obbesi only gets to 12cm or so? I'd love to get my hands on some, because I love the tandanus catfish, but they always outgrow an aqaurium eventually. Obbe's catfish would be a nice miniature version. Just waiting for Dave to breed them up
    Cheers,
    Scott

Sounds good - I will read up on them when I get home ...
    Thankyou.

Default Obbes Catfish

Obbes Catfish, they are nice, usually about 100mm but grow a little larger. They breed in my ponds but there are very few out there, for some reason there is usually only a few extras after I empty their pond each year.

Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the fish Dave, a little easier to handle than a tandanus in a regular tank I'll bet
    Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

Thats a nice little cat Dave. I like the blueish colour of its flanks.
    Regards

Matt

Default Got small eel-tailed catfish in Sydney

G'day limegirl,
    I've got some small eel-tailed catfish in my local pet stores and have seen the same in some different aquarium stores in Sydney. I think they are Hyrtl's Tandan or Rendahl's catfish. They were sold as yellow-finned catfish. I've got 4 of each and they haven't got bigger than 10cm for the Hyrtl's and 12cm for the Rendahl's. They are easy to keep and the 2 species are quite different in colour with the Hyrtls being a dark brown and slimmer while the Rendahls are quite yellow-finned with a light mottling.

They are all in the same 4ft tank and get along well with my Empire Gudgeon and baby Murray Cod.

If you are after any small eel-tailed catfish, let me know and I'll keep my eyes open at my regular aquarium stores and let you know if they have any.

Cheers KLP

I saw two different catfish for sale today, they both had a common name with "eeltail" in them. Not sure exactly as I didn't write it down They weren't tandanus though. One was probably Neosilurus hyrtlii, which you can buy online but they get a bit big
    Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    That is a lovely cat, Dave! What do you feed them?

They live down the back in the ponds. I feed them small .6mm aquaculture pellets but that would only be part of their diet. We have daphnia, moina, cyclops, ostracods, a small species of tubifex, chroronomid larvae, mozzie larvae and a host of other little food items. I fertilise the ponds to make all the plankton grow. This produces healthy fish and reduces the amount of direct supervision necessary to grow fish.

Cheers
    Dave