Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planting Hang-On Filter :P

Red face Planting Hang-On Filter :P

Ah-ha, the aquaponics have come up again! Well, I was feeling restless and decided to try out the idea I saw in another thread (don't remember where, sorry. But credit to the original idea!) of putting plants into a hang-on filter.

My el-cheapo fry tank is set up with a tiny aqua-one filter because that's all I had at the time, and I thought I'd just test out a few things and see if there was anything to it.

So here's the little filter, and I grabbed a shoot of lizard's tail out of our goldfish pond to go inside.

It actually grows just fine with no substrate at all, but I thought to help things along I'd put a single dino dung in the bottom, and cover with a layer of gravel, just to give the plant something to anchor itself to.

Then I added a little baby fern of some type I found in a damp pot.

Then I went crazy and added another (different) baby fern, some clover type thing, some moss, and a droopy thing. These are all very technical terms you understand.

I found this plant growing out of one of our staghorns, and decided to put it down the outlet to stop the annoying dripping noise. Can anyone id?

I fully expect everything but the lizard's tail to die, but I thought I'd just stick them in there anyway and see what happens. :P

This is now a super high-tech system, complete with a cheap LED pannel propped up on a lemonade can and everything! The blue and yellow aluminium just adds that little bit of extra class... ;{P

Cool. Although I thought the whole point of the filter was to suck out nutrients from the water? If you've added dino dung it'll probably take a while for it to have a positive effect.
    Thanks,

Sean

Looks very cool! I used to have mosses growing ontop of my lava rock in a HOB.
    "You wouldnt have that problem with a V8"

Quote Originally Posted by seanyboyrulz View Post
    Cool. Although I thought the whole point of the filter was to suck out nutrients from the water? If you've added dino dung it'll probably take a while for it to have a positive effect.
    Hahaha, I thought about that, but then decided that I didn't care and would see how it went anyway! :P It's a super clean tank thanks to all of the red-nose shrimp in it, and I don't really worry about it too much. I'm more interested in how the plants go than anything I think. :P

I have to say I thought the constant flow of water might disturb the dung a little and turn the water cloudy, but it's still crystal clear.

That's very cool

Just imagine having a large acrylic overflow for a sump planted out along the back of a tank.. now that would be going all out

I'd love to see a photo of the tank. The Red Nose Shrimp have always interested me, but I've never got around to getting any. I may need to find a 'reason' to buy some plants and shrimp from Aquagreen
    Live your life like no-one's watching!

Oh swampy, you never need to find a reason to buy from Aquagreen! If anything, I'm always trying to convince myself there's a good reason not to!

Sorry, I'm an amateur photographer at best, but here you go! This tank is nothing to write home about. I tend to neglect it because I don't like it very much; it's a cheap plastic container with one of those stupid 'feeding' bulges in the side.

Current occupants are my 3 week old BN fry:

And the red-nose shrimp, which I did my best to catch a couple of quick shots of for you swampy.

Quick update: The clover-type things are already starting to droop slightly; I don't think they like it in there! I'm going to update this every now and then, good or bad, because I think it's interesting.
    Last edited by Aloysius13; 12-08-12 at 06:58 PM. Reason: I is ams grammar idiot

Very nice

If you ever have too many RN shrimp you know who to call.
    Live your life like no-one's watching!

Wow, I never thought of planting a cheap filter like that for emergent growth! I love this idea! *copies* :P

Might plant some Hydrocotyle in mine!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by swampy1972 View Post
    you know who to call.
    Ghostbusters?
    Thanks,

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by septhen View Post
    Wow, I never thought of planting a cheap filter like that for emergent growth! I love this idea! *copies* :P
    I know right?! Whoever I stole this idea off was a genius. I was actually thinking this would be great for growing anubias, since they've always done better for me with their leaves above water.

Hey its a great idea and i'm looking foreward to seeing how your one goes once its grown should look great! i put one together about a month or so ago heres how it looks now, seems to be going alright.

Hehe, a huge Anubias barterii in one of those, LOL. :O
    And Chandler, I LOVE it! did you use glossostigma?
    also dumb question, does the filter stay running with plants growing in it? or does it get turned off first?

Running, so that the water circulates through it.

Nice dude!

hello,
    Its Callitriche stagnalis that i found in moving water at the local creek so i thought it might work well in the filter, and yes the filter is running all the time the water trickles down the plant

The way i see it, it works as an extra part of the filter sucking out any left over impurites/nutrients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast