Thread: Low PH... How to raise and keep stable

Default Low PH... How to raise and keep stable

So my tank:

Still cycling,has Driftwood,ADA Amazonia Soil and some Silica Sand + Co2. The PH is hovering around 6.0 in the mornings and 5.5 Midday onwards.

I am finally ready for fish as the Ammonia has dropped and Nitrites but my PH is obviously to low.

Fairly new to the hobby,well using ADA soil etc,I didnt know about it lowering PH and mixing in marble chips for example to raise it.

What is the safest way to raise my PH slightly and keep it stable? (Wanting to keep discus,cardinals & corys)

One member suggested putting Marble Chips in a bag in my filter?

Can anyone please help me out as I am kind of at a loss and would really like to start adding fish without killing any of them.

Thanks in advance

Rory

White rock or coral or marbel chips as suugested by other member will raise the PH.
    I think ADA Amazonia bufferes PH down so what ever you put in will need to be enough to counter that.
    As far as stability goes, I think it is normal for PH to vary a bit throughout the day due the plants, lighting etc and also Co2 will cause some variation in PH.

Cheers
    Ducky

Hey Ducky,

Thanks for the quick response!

Ok,so just head down to the LFS and grab a bag,how much would you recommend putting in or is it just about putting some in and testing?
    Yeah sorry,I understand the PH will slighly swing with Co2 I didnt explain that very well my bad.
    I just wanted to bring it up slightly so It would be around 6.5 before Co2 comes on and swing around 6.5-6.0.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Roryland; 26-05-12 at 07:57 AM.

if you intend on keeping cardinals, discus and cories i probably wouldnt bother messing around with the ph,
    leave it where it is, all those fish come from soft low ph water areas anyway, you'll be better off keeping your params stable then messing with ur ph every time you do wc's

your pH swings may be caused by both the ADA buffering, and the co2 injection. To try and counter the two and get a balance you wanna look into your KH and try and get that balanced with the pH. If your KH is too low your ADA and co2 will cause a constant swing in pH. That's the reason people add corals & Marble chips, They raise the KH of a tank. Rather than just chucking some in, You're better off understanding what they do and how they affect the KH and how the KH works with pH etc...

Beautiful tank btw.

Quote Originally Posted by __CAV__ View Post
    if you intend on keeping cardinals, discus and cories i probably wouldnt bother messing around with the ph,
    leave it where it is, all those fish come from soft low ph water areas anyway, you'll be better off keeping your params stable then messing with ur ph every time you do wc's
    Yeah I'd prefer not to mess around with it but isnt 5.5-6.0 still to low,even for the above mentioned fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Triggs View Post
    try and counter the two and get a balance you wanna look into your KH and try and get that balanced with the pH. If your KH is too low your ADA and co2 will cause a constant swing in pH. That's the reason people add corals & Marble chips, They raise the KH of a tank. Rather than just chucking some in, You're better off understanding what they do and how they affect the KH and how the KH works with pH etc...

Beautiful tank btw.
    I might be wrong here but,Ive tested my KH via an API test. My water goes from blue to yellow from 3 drops which on the chart reads 53ppm? is this correct.
    So what do you recommend,do not add corals & marble chips or do? Id prefer not to just be adding buffers every week when I change the water.
    I wish I had a better understanding of ADA soil before I used it so I could have mixed it with marble chips,live and learn I guess...

Thankyou for the comments on my tank also. Prefer to have fish in in soon haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Roryland View Post
    I might be wrong here but,Ive tested my KH via an API test. My water goes from blue to yellow from 3 drops which on the chart reads 53ppm? is this correct.
    So what do you recommend,do not add corals & marble chips or do? Id prefer not to just be adding buffers every week when I change the water.
    I wish I had a better understanding of ADA soil before I used it so I could have mixed it with marble chips,live and learn I guess...

Thankyou for the comments on my tank also. Prefer to have fish in in soon haha.
    I wouldn't add or change anything with your tank. If you wanna be really fussy and have perfect you could raise your pH to 6.8 - 6.9 and your KH to 70-80ppm.
    But as stated above, your parameters sound pretty reasonable for the livestock you want. Even though you can perfect and tweak it slightly, sometimes stabability is more important than tiny variations in parameters.
    Also discus aint fan's of sudden changes, And you'd wanna do this over a long period of time bit by bit. And only when you know what you're doing when you change the water parameters.
    It's too much to reply to in a post, but you wanna google up on KH, GH, pH Co2 how they work together, how to get them balanced, buffering etc, heres a few good sites to get you started;

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumKH.html
    (The above link is the most indepth and easy to read website on it all i've found)
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article..._chemistry.php
    (The above sites figures are for cichlids, however the basic theory behind the chemistry etc is exactly the same in all tanks)

Ok cool,

Thanks heaps Triggs. I'll just keep reading then before I get my fish.

Really appreciate the help.

Leave the Ph where it is. The stock you have mentioned will be fine. The more you screw around with it the less stable it will be.
    Whatever