Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Eden 501 to Fluval Edge

Question Adding Eden 501 to Fluval Edge

As I've just received the Eden 501 from AoA (thanks Ben!), I'm planning to connect this filter as an additional filter into my Fluval Edge 23L tank. The challenge will be to replace the standard tubes with ones long enough to fit into the Edge's tight back column. This means I need tubing at least twice as long to do a "S" fitting.

Here's where I need advice;
    - Where can I get longer 9/12mm tubes for Eden 501? Bunnings?
    - Will this reduce the effectiveness of the filter with "S" tubing? The filter will still be on the same level to the tank.
    - The inflow & outflow pipes will need to be customised with sponge covered inflow pipe and shorten outflow pipe near the neck of the Edge for more aeration. Will these changes inhibit filter? Can the outflow pipe be submerged?
    - Should I "mature" this filter before adding it? I've got a small housing tank and I'm getting Seachem matrix and purigen soon to replace the ceramic noddles.

Appreciate any advice I can get.
    CRS, CBS, DAS, DRN & RCS in a Fluval Edge 23L

- Where can I get longer 9/12mm tubes for Eden 501? Bunnings? AOA would have been my choice but bunnings prob has too.

- Will this reduce the effectiveness of the filter with "S" tubing? The filter will still be on the same level to the tank. longer hose usually means slower flow

- The inflow & outflow pipes will need to be customised with sponge covered inflow pipe and shorten outflow pipe near the neck of the Edge for more aeration. Will these changes inhibit filter? Can the outflow pipe be submerged? outflow can be submerged. sponge over inflow pipe may slow flow when it becomes clogged, but this is true of all prefilter sponges

- Should I "mature" this filter before adding it? I've got a small housing tank and I'm getting Seachem matrix and purigen soon to replace the ceramic noddles. because you already have one filter running, maturing this filter first is not definitely needed, but it wouldnt hurt.

just about to put one on an ebi tank
    they are groovy filters hey!

"AQUIS have proven on numerous occasion to have a distinct lack of humour." ~ saundo

Thanks for the advice! Just got 5 metres of tubing from Masters and now just waiting for my Seachem media.

Certainly a nice compact filter.

Just got Seachem Purigen and Matrix yesterday. I've got Seachem's The Bag for both but do I need to bag Matrix at all? And which one should be on top? I'm thinking Purigen bottom, Matrix on top?

no need to bag the matrix and I would out the purigen bag at the bottom.

Ok. I've temporarily set up the Eden 501 running with my WC water bucket. Got inflow chamber matrix, purigen, matrix sandwich covered with filter wool and the standard sponge outflow.

Challenging on installing the in and out valves with my nano tank. Very tight fitting means I'll need to cut the plastic tube in half but not sure if should saw it or another way. Any ideas?

Hi sprae,
    We need some photos to see what would work. Are you saying you want to cut the inflow and outflow attachments? If so, a hacksaw would be the way to go IMO.
    "You wouldnt have that problem with a V8"

The Eden 510s look really neat, but I'm curious - what are you putting in the fluval edge that requires an additional filter? I'm wondering because the hang on filter has been enough for me so far......

He is keeping CRS & CBS which like to have perfect water. E.G. zero nitrates which need a lots of bio space to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Hi sprae,
    We need some photos to see what would work. Are you saying you want to cut the inflow and outflow attachments? If so, a hacksaw would be the way to go IMO.
    Just as you said, the inflow attachments is the one needed to be shorten. I'm thinking hacksaw too but fearing it wouldn't crack the rest of the plastic tube.

The Edge's HOB filter is IMO not that great. The size of the media is too small for my liking. Plus I don't think my shrimps will complaint about clearer water

I guess it depends on your stocking levels - CRS and CBS will appreciate the extra filter for sure. I have only RCS and a handful of rasboras

Quote Originally Posted by Sprae View Post
    Just as you said, the inflow attachments is the one needed to be shorten. I'm thinking hacksaw too but fearing it wouldn't crack the rest of the plastic tube.

The Edge's HOB filter is IMO not that great. The size of the media is too small for my liking. Plus I don't think my shrimps will complaint about clearer water
    Im think other tools will be worse. i easily cut pvc piping with a hacksaw. Just dont go too hard on it and go slowly

Thanks for the advice Loach! I'm not what you'd say a handyman but this hobby has the requirements of a PhD!

Quote Originally Posted by Sprae View Post
    Thanks for the advice Loach! I'm not what you'd say a handyman but this hobby has the requirements of a PhD!
    Sure does! Im no pro but doing alot of fishy building stuff makes me better at it. e.g. ive been building a filter a day almost LOL. and im always drawing plans and concepts for future projects
    Last edited by Loach; 19-05-12 at 08:34 PM.

matrix sandwich covered with filter wool
    I wouldnt use the filter wool personally as I would be afraid it would slow the flow too much.
    Then again I cut 1/3 of the hard intake tube, and only used about 2/3 of the flexable tube on my build.

hmmm........ I hacksawed 1/3 of the hard intake pipe.
    then drilled out the plastic corner lips AND cut a small bit of styrofoam background, this let me fit the tubes in without having to cut the lids.

anyway terrible pictures, it looks so much better now
    but you get the idea!

top view, showing the fit
    the eden is nicely hidden behind the ebi tank

and here is a front view
    I used the duckbill rather than the spraybar.
    but the filter is hardly noticable
    which is just what the doctor ordered!

and heres a side view.

"AQUIS have proven on numerous occasion to have a distinct lack of humour." ~ saundo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast