Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Trip To Hazelwood Pondage, Wild Cichlid Fishing In Melbourne :D

Default My Trip To Hazelwood Pondage, Wild Cichlid Fishing In Melbourne :D

So over the holidays I decided to head up to Hazelwood pondage for a long weekend with the Mrs. Heard you could catch Wild Cichlids there so took a hand reel & a can of Corn along and thought I'd see how it went.
    Sorry I didn't take more photo's, I'm not a real photographing type of person.

The camping grounds next to the water, Was a very beautiful spot.

The lake, It was nice to watch in the morning because all the steam would come off the lake. Even at 4am in the morning the lake water was 22dc while the ambient outside was like 12.

Sitting on the little jetty, All I used was a $2 hand reel from K-mart which came with a little hook at the bottom and a running sinker above it. Attached a little floatie and threw a piece of corn on it. I caught most fish not even 20cm away from the Jetty edge.

The first fish for the trip, Caught him within 5 minutes.

Here's the first Cichlid close up. The photo really doesn't do it justice, The stripes stood out a lot more in person and the fin's were really quite nice.

This little guy was caught by the Mrs, Almost had her talked into another tank for Cichlids that was going to be 'hers'. Until she realized that'd be another tank... was sooo close!

And another.

All up I went fishing for about 30 minutes and caught about a dozen just using corn. I also saw a bunch of 'australian smelt' but I didn't have a net to catch them
    Sorry I can't give more Information on specices or breeds I caught as I've never really done much reading on Cichlids.
    Anyways that's my Wild Cichlid fishing in Melbourne weekend.

We done on the catch.

I heard about Hazelwood many years ago, but have not had a chance to get down there as yet.

There are LOTS of rumors about what sorts of cichlids are available in the lake. (Oscars, Discus etc)

** Caught Fish look like Red Devils. These are VERY common in the lake.

Looks like you had a lot of fun

First one looks like a tilapia, the red ones, red devils. I'd love to heaps up there for a fish, apparently around the more rocky areas theres tons of zebra cichlids, I wonder where all the monster red devils hide?

making a trip there my next weekend of work =]
    ps UDL goes down well! lol
    Lorenzo,

Keep them keen, Keep it Clean

id agree the first looks like a tiliapia and the other look like devils,
    hope you disposed of them properly.

I reckon the first one looks like a flowerhorn or some other Amphilophus derived thing. Mouth looks different to the tilapia i've seen.
    Looks like fun though...

Quote Originally Posted by __CAV__ View Post
    id agree the first looks like a tiliapia and the other look like devils,
    hope you disposed of them properly.
    Yes, In my opinion, I gave them a "Good luck little guy" and threw it back in.
    Sure they say "You shouldn't put them back in" but Hazelwood isn't a natural lake, It's 22dc its not a 'natural' habitat for any of our Animals (The big heating towers from the power plant kinda killed that option off) so I figured meh. Why kill some little fish for no real benefit or cause? Is a few really gonna make a difference? It's not like they're going to get into our natural water ways since it's not suitable to their habitat. So why not let them go on and do their thing?
    Carp in a Rivers one thing. But a Cichlid in a man-made cooling pond for giant electrical towers -shrugs-

making a trip there my next weekend of work =]
    ps UDL goes down well! lol
    Good luck on your trip, I hope you have a good time and nice weather. If your ever looking somewhere to stay up there, Then there's a place called "Hazelwood Pondage Caravan Park" Beautiful place with everything from BBQ's to Toilets and a litle kiosk and it's right next to the water. And the caretaker there Darren is a really great bloke.
    Yeah gotta love UDL's :-D Love me vodka! People always made fun of me cause i'm 6'2 and 100kg but Meh, UDLs all the way lol.

First one looks like a tilapia, the red ones, red devils. I'd love to heaps up there for a fish, apparently around the more rocky areas theres tons of zebra cichlids, I wonder where all the monster red devils hide?
    I caught one that was black and white striped looked a lot like this guy:

Sorry, I really should have taken more photo's. I assumed they were all the same species just different colourings, If I knew they were different I'd have taken photo's of them all.
    I'd love to go fishing out further in the lake. The lake itself is massive And where I was catching all mine was literally within 2-3 foot from the jetty edge which was only 40-50cm deep water. I'd imagine out deeper and further you'd catch some pretty big fish. I figure where I was was like a breeding ground where all the fry grew up in the shallow rocky edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggs View Post
    Yes, In my opinion, I gave them a "Good luck little guy" and threw it back in.
    Sure they say "You shouldn't put them back in" but Hazelwood isn't a natural lake, It's 22dc its not a 'natural' habitat for any of our Animals (The big heating towers from the power plant kinda killed that option off) so I figured meh. Why kill some little fish for no real benefit or cause? Is a few really gonna make a difference? It's not like they're going to get into our natural water ways since it's not suitable to their habitat. So why not let them go on and do their thing?
    Carp in a Rivers one thing. But a Cichlid in a man-made cooling pond for giant electrical towers -shrugs-
    i dont think DPIF will care whether its a man made pond or not, both are noxious species and should be destroyed, not released back into the wild.
    and as for them not making it into natural habitats.......
    you just need to look at the amount of tiliapia and other cichlids that are thriving up here.

this is from Dpif qld
    If you catch a noxious fish, kill the fish as quickly and humanely as possible. Fisheries Queensland advocates the ethical euthanasia protocols recommended by the 2001 ANZCCART publication: 'Euthanasia of animals used for scientific purposes'. The most appropriate method may involve stunning the fish via a sharp blow to the back of the head causing brain destruction.

It is an offence to have noxious fish (such as carp and tilapia) in your possession, either dead or alive (except dead Nile perch). You must therefore dispose of the fish as soon as practicable after killing. It is recommended that you do this by burying it a suitable distance from the waterway where it was caught or disposing of it in a rubbish bin.

Down here Cav they can only survive in the cooling pond for the towers. It's way to cold for them to survive in any natural waterway. The pond is to warm for most local natives. There is talk of letting barra go in there for rec fishing.
    Last edited by Freediver; 30-04-12 at 12:56 PM.

very unlikely to see red devils in other waterways in melbourne, id imagine the 5 deg cold it was here this morning would have wiped them out. ps im a vodka guy to
    smirnof double blacks are my weakness =]
    Lorenzo,

Keep them keen, Keep it Clean

i dont think DPIF will care whether its a man made pond or not, both are noxious species and should be destroyed, not released back into the wild.
    you just need to look at the amount of tiliapia and other cichlids that are thriving up here.

this is from Dpif qld
    There is no benefit killing these fish. As soon as the water flows out of the pond it drops to under 15C in winter which kills all these cichlid species. Thats the difference between being located in VIC and not QLD, moving into other bodies of water is not possible for these fish due to the location of the pond.

I will always dispose of non native fish caught in natural waterways and am a recreational hunter that shoots feral animal species but in this situation why not enjoy the variety of fish available when they are not causing any harm?

I hate to throw a difference of opinion in to the description of the fish at top but I would say this is more like a strain of a mexican fire mouth wild colouration and not tank colouration..

FF

Quote Originally Posted by fishfreak View Post
    I hate to throw a difference of opinion in to the description of the fish at top but I would say this is more like a strain of a mexican fire mouth wild colouration and not tank colouration..

FF
    yep looks like Amphilophus longimanus to me
    "AQUIS have proven on numerous occasion to have a distinct lack of humour." ~ saundo

this is from Dpif qld
    Dude really, please don't be 'that guy' and take over my thread. I can't bring myself to needlessly kill a fish. I'm sorry but it's not in my nature to do so and I'd feel guilty and sick for doing so. I already feel bad enough taking a hook out of the things mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Capitán Primero View Post
    yep looks like Amphilophus longimanus to me
    If it's any help to the description the little bastard had a barb thing on the back of its fin. Stabbed me good it did -_- that cichlid... I prob could have killed :P

They are pretty nice looking in life. The pictures really don't do them justice, next time I go back now I know how to actually use my Camera I'll get some better photo's of all the Different colours, I'm gonna get me some Smelt with a net too

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast