Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penny Fish (Denariusa bandata)

Default Penny Fish (Denariusa bandata)

There is some penny fish info on the aquagreen web site now. I will try to get some photos when they are more colourful.

http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_da...a_bandata.html

I have fixed the spelling of the species name. If anybody sees any mistakes in the info I would be pleased if you would let me know.

Cheers
    Dave

mmmm softish acid to neutral water, ideal native community fish just like the threadfins... I feel another group buy coming on...
    -
    7ft planted tank, ~250 fish/500l barrel, ~8 fish, 1500l pond ~ 50 fish, 4 frog ponds
    Nikon D800E with 105mm Macro, remote SB-600 flashes
    Cam: http://polyforms.dyndns.org
    login: fish/swimming

Default Pennys

I bought some Pennyfish from the 1st WA group buy.

They are beautiful quiet fish.I have some in with my werneriis and there was no fighting or aggresion.
    Most are now in my main planted tank and look great. Mine look more golden or olive than Daves pics but I am really happy with them.

Graeme

ps they eat anything food wise,not fussy at all.
    Read this very helpful thread .
    Yes the ban in trading exotic shrimp has been lifted!!

I have a few of these too and would like to get some more. They quietly poke around the vegetation picking at things too small for me to see. They don't go crazy at feeding time for me so I always make sure I drop some smaller sized food in various locations around the tank to make sure they are eating. I think with a few more in a school they'd be a little bolder.

Saw some of these guys on the weekend for the first time, I really like their body shape and colouration, seemed quite oblivious as well.

Where people dump things on side of streets.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOMON View Post
    Saw some of these guys on the weekend for the first time, I really like their body shape and colouration, seemed quite oblivious as well.
    Are they bluish Dan? I want to try this fish in my next scape. Just wondering if they are true blue or golden?
    All I need is the air I breathe, and a place to rest my head.

| Synchronicity | Symphony | Symposia | Synthesis | Serenity

Oh wow they are so lovely! Very interesting shape too.

Oh dear, Dave, it's people like you posting things like this that are the cause of that which is called the dreaded "MTS"

Quote Originally Posted by greenfinger View Post
    Are they bluish Dan? I want to try this fish in my next scape. Just wondering if they are true blue or golden?
    Not really, kinda gold/green, the overhead light was yellow though??

Where people dump things on side of streets.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOMON View Post
    Not really, kinda gold/green, the overhead light was yellow though??
    Ok. Thanks mate. Still sounds like a nice fish. I really like that bluish colour in the photo though.
    All I need is the air I breathe, and a place to rest my head.

| Synchronicity | Symphony | Symposia | Synthesis | Serenity

Their colour varies. I will try to find a photo taken by Neil Armstrong of coloured males in spawning mode. Their fins are maroon. I have seen it in my ponds but rarely in an aquarium.

This thread jumped forward from 2007. here is another of my photos and one from Neil Armstrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are they really the same fish? They have such different colors in those two pictures.

So they color up in the ponds, but not in an aquarium?

So Dave, how often do you encounter small crocs when you are out trapping/catching these Penny Fish (and other local native fish)? When I was a small squirt I would head out to Darwin river to the Curragundi Scout Camp just below the Darwin dam wall, and would catch small fish, yabbies and shrimp in the river. We would occasionally catch larger fish that we would quickly carry to some small ponds that we had dammed in the tiny little feeder creek, then we would have a small pool to swim in with our 25cm barra. Little did I realise back then that there were so many crocs in that stretch of the river. Although I suppose that it was close enough to the end of legal croc hunting that there probably weren't too many big crocs around. These days, the little crocs have now grown in to much bigger crocs, and I don't think I would be too keen to jump into the water under the dam. Would never have thought that the small fish and shrimp we caught in coat-hanger/pantyhose nets would become saught after aquarium fish.

Matt

Yes they are the same fish, not the same individual of course, as there is probably 20 years between the photos. I walked along the river upstream from Carragundi Crossing a few hundred meters and there were two big slides where the leg trimmers had been out getting warmed up. Just on the downstream side of the crossing there is a little back water where Val and Blyxa grow. Among those plants is the place where the red finned specimen was caught.

Cheers
    Dave

Dave,

How do I tell the difference between a Penny fish and what I call a sailfin perch or glass fish.

The reason I'm asking is that today I caught two up at the iron bridge.

They are only about 12-15mm long.

Deeper in the water were the glass fish that are about 70-80mm long and I dont what this type.

Any info or sites I could look up would be a help.

Thanks Jeff

Your glassfish will be clear and the Penny Fish are more a gold or silver bronze colour, the glassfish have taller fins and they are usually twice the size of penny fish. The black on the first dorsal fin of the penny fish is at the rear of the fin whereas the black on the first dorsal fin of the sailfin glass fish is at the front of the fin, once you are used to them it is only a glance to tell the difference. I'll find a pic of a glass fish to see the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast