Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neon tetras in my indoor pond!

Wow I misses this one. What an awesome tank. Although I'm not sure if I should call it a tank or a pond haha. Would love to hear how this is going now too. Any more high dives by the cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    any updates on the neons in a pond?? !
    There are about 5 or 6 left - given that it's 18 months later, I don't know if that's just natural mortality, poor conditions or the rainbows got them. My random rainbows are Rhads and they've grown quickly. They also seem to move much quicker at the lower temps this time of year (pond is down around 18c - think the heater carked it running on its side) but *some* neons have now survived two winters.

If I could catch the rhads, I chuck them outside and just have the neons but the rhads are just so fast...

Wow that's amazing. I guess they can adapt to gradual changes. thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    There are about 5 or 6 left - given that it's 18 months later, I don't know if that's just natural mortality, poor conditions or the rainbows got them. My random rainbows are Rhads and they've grown quickly. They also seem to move much quicker at the lower temps this time of year (pond is down around 18c - think the heater carked it running on its side) but *some* neons have now survived two winters.

If I could catch the rhads, I chuck them outside and just have the neons but the rhads are just so fast...
    My money would be on the rhads. Since I removed mine, the microfish numbers have stayed pretty stable. Before that they were disappearing rapidly.
    "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
    Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

Allow me to necro my own thread. That pond is still going. The neons died (old age I suspect, they went for a fair while) and for a long time, there were Praecox. A VERY cold QLD winter with a dead heater disappeared many of the Praecox. I thought I might try again with neons but this time, load up the water column with wood and some leaves to decompose with tannin/blackwater goodness. Something like a blackwater biotope. Also featuring my awesome solar-powered spotlights. Next up is a rainwater top-up system.

This is day #1 with some confused Praecox and some of their new South American BFF...

pond_jun2019_a by dcm, on Flickr

pond_jun2019_b by dcm, on Flickr

Looks great! There is nothing like an indoor garden I reckon. Do you get any issues with bugs?

How much/often do you do water changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Looks great! There is nothing like an indoor garden I reckon. Do you get any issues with bugs?

How much/often do you do water changes?
    I haven't had any bug issues at all. I had a CAT issue for a while but that's solved for now.

As for water changes, I've been siphoning water out of my upstairs main tank into the point at water change time around once per week. The pond floods and waters the plants. TBH, it's been painful (and makes me unpopular with the director of home affairs) manhandling hoses through the house. I've been thinking about rigging up some kind of rainwater collection system.

I suspect there is no concrete floor in the planter box (ie: it's build directly upon the ground). I can siphon an almost infinite amount of water into it and it just disappears. Wet soil is a risk factor for termites but I have a barrier on the house and the edges are all visible from underneath the house (you can stand up at that part) so all good that front so far.

This time around I'm going to look at winding UP the tannins and DOWN the water hardness. I am also experimenting with using leaf litter to provide refuge for eggs/fry. I'm also starting to think about what (if anything) I could do to establish some kind of live food source (not mosquito larvae - bad mojo in QLD). I don't like giving fish a 100% flake food diet. I realise that these are farm-raised el-cheapo neons and may have limited fertility.

So the pond is surrounded by concrete foundation for your house? Be careful of putting any water in there. Automatic rainwater system would be pretty awesome!

For live food, you can consider red cherry shrimp. I reckon they would survive if you give them enough time to establish themselves and buy tiny neons to start off.

Leaf litter and plenty of moss would be a good hiding space for the fry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12