Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tissue culture hobby

Default Tissue culture hobby

Hi all

After browsing some of the UK & US fly trap websites about tissue culture plants .... ( seems its very popular to home tissue culture the fly trap family plants )
    It got me wondering if anyone is into tissue culturing plants aquatic or terrestrial or other wise here in Australia?

it doesnt seem to be too popular on google austrlia as a hoby... cant find any links to forms or societies for this either, apart from the seed bank in NSW.

looking forward to seeing if there is any interest in this hoby

thanks
    Tony
    Last edited by mtwalkert28; 03-10-11 at 05:31 PM.

I am very interested in it, I am hoping to ge ta kit for christmas, I think hobbyists most often TC crypts and anubius. I think Jodi tissue cultures some of her plants, not 100% though.
    If practice makes perfect and nobody's perfect then whats the use of trying?

Have a look for posts by PaulB, I think Mjay may have done a course as well iirc..

matt .. very VERY intersting hoby .. spent about 5 hrs reading forums last night .. lol

they got kids on ebay on auction ... fairly cheap considering the guy has done all the leg work with sourcing chemicals and such ..

thanks solomon

Those are the kits I am looking that, I'm wanting to try to make my own orchid hybrids.

i bout one on the weekend .. cant wait for it to arrive ..

im eyeing up my partners orchid atm .. hehehe but dont tell her :P
    looks like i might have a use for my old 2 footers after all, im sure thatll go down well huh ..

yea im pretty sure jodi cultures some plants, i remember reading it a couple weeks ago on a old thread some where around the place

It might have been mine, I think someone mentioned it in one of my threads. I want to TC C. Parva, it doesn't seem to produce offsetpups which is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_95 View Post
    I want to TC C. Parva, it doesn't seem to produce offsetpups which is annoying.
    You may have better luck cultivating it emersed, albeit still slow.
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

ill scan in the docs i get with the kit if you want me to ... dont mind if you want to wait for xmas to unwrap it ur self tho ..
    the AD on ebay is VERY vague about what is involved and what is supplied

yea its annoying when things dont reproduce easily sometimes .. mother nature just needs a bit of a helping hand sometimes i guess
    Last edited by mtwalkert28; 03-10-11 at 03:54 PM.

So in layman's terms, what is tissue culture? And is it possible to have a go at with out forking out tons of money and time....like most things in these types of hobbies :P

From google "The growth in an artificial medium of cells derived from living tissue." Basically it is some acticly growing cells removed from the donor plant grown in a nutrient rich sterile medium in a jar. There is this kit on Ebay, pretty cheap. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TISSUE-CU...item484230013c

Hi Matt, the kit seems fun, if someone had purchased one of these, would like to know how they went with it
    Happy Planting!
    Mango

basics of tissue culture here

seems interesting...albeit impossible for me :P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast