Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal halide to LED conversion

Default Metal halide to LED conversion

Ok this the start of my attempt at converting my exsisting 150w metal halide to 50W LED.
    Still have a few things to do before I can run it but thought I would chuck up a few pics.
    This light when finished will run with 2 x150w halides for some time before converting them alll over so I can hopefully see any comparison on looks and plant growth

Before I took to it with an angle grinder

And afterwoods.
    I need to also try fill in the ends of the reflector, I was thinking of glueing in a little tinfoil?

Needed to chop out the back to accomadate the heatsink.

Did not want a fan but have fitted it for testing purposes, but I will fit a switch so I can check the temp with fan running and off

Now does anyone know if I can share the fan with the Led driver? not concerned if I stuf the fan but dont want to screw up the LED
    Also any suggestions on using heatsink paste needed not needed type?

Thanks
    Ray

fan cant be off the driver.

just get an old phone charger or power pack and run fans off that.

Don't know much about mh's, but is that what's referred to as a shop fitter? Or are you converting over a commercial aquarium mh pendant ? A photo of the fitting or hood the reflector came from would be good to see.

I take it the LED is a 50w floodlight type from ebay?

Thanks for the thread, this is the sort of stuff I find interesting to read
    cheers, paul

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo2302 View Post
    fan cant be off the driver.

just get an old phone charger or power pack and run fans off that.
    Thought that would be the answer but was hoping

Quote Originally Posted by nudibranch View Post
    Don't know much about mh's, but is that what's referred to as a shop fitter? Or are you converting over a commercial aquarium mh pendant ? A photo of the fitting or hood the reflector came from would be good to see.

I take it the LED is a 50w floodlight type from ebay?

Thanks for the thread, this is the sort of stuff I find interesting to read

The light is a std shop display halide.
    Yes there the ones from ebay
    Hopfully next weekend I will finish off the last few things and light it up.

Ray

Interesting thread.

I was always under the impression that LED's ran cool. Why do they need a whopping big heat sink and fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Interesting thread.

I was always under the impression that LED's ran cool. Why do they need a whopping big heat sink and fan?
    They run cool at the light end unlike a normal globe but generate the heat at the rear, you also need to consider that this is 50w in a 2cm square area it wil generate some heat? it also improves the life of the Led rom my understanding, similar to a cpu
    And in terms of my halides I will assume a lot cooler.
    Jim hopefully someone can explain in detail for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Not this size Jim, they pump out some serious light.

I just finished my 50W LED fittings and the heat sink get's just too hot to hold after about 10min.. I've got a short vid up in the other thread about lighting a deep tank.

I have a different heatsink to Ray, so I will be interested to see the comparion myself. If your heatsinks don't get that hot without the fan Ray it looks like I'll be doing a switcheroo

I look forward to seeing your results mate.
    Live your life like no-one's watching!

Quote Originally Posted by swampy1972 View Post
    Not this size Jim, they pump out some serious light.

I just finished my 50W LED fittings and the heat sink get's just too hot to hold after about 10min.. I've got a short vid up in the other thread about lighting a deep tank.

I have a different heatsink to Ray, so I will be interested to see the comparion myself. If your heatsinks don't get that hot without the fan Ray it looks like I'll be doing a switcheroo

I look forward to seeing your results mate.
    I get the feeling it will get hot but am interested to see.
    I have a infared thermometer so hopfully it will give me some good reading on the temps.
    I also like the look of the reflector you fitted and something to consider on a mark 2 model, my lights are concealed in a box so I do have some room to play and hide things.

Did you use a thermal paste and if so what type?

Ray

Hi Ray,

I just used a generic thermal paste that I got from the local Jaycar - $5 per tube. 2x tubes did all 3 fittings with it between heatsink to alloy plate, alloy plate to LED.

I'll be very interested to see a figure in terms of temp. As I mentioned, I can hold mine but only for about 5-10secs before I have to put it down. When I get the pieces to hang them I'm thinking of running 1x as a test to see if the heat kills it. If so I already have a plan to place a cylinder (thinking thin alloy) around the heatsink with a PC cooling fan at the top to draw cool air up through the fitting and exhaust it out the top. I'm just really wanted to avoid the noise of 3x fans

Thanks for the replies guys. Very interested in LED. I used to have 3 x 250watt MH's and 240watts of T8's over my reef and that was some serious heat to deal with.

Hi Ray..

Look at what I just found... http://www.electricalproducts.com.au...hopfitter.html

Damm you LOL
    Ok very interesting
    I got some heat paste today so hopefully I can find time to fire mine up and get a few pics this weekend?
    Swampy any pics or updates of yours? thoughts?
    i just seem to study ebay at the moment wanting to play with LEDs, that cant be healthy can it?

Ray
    Last edited by pritch33; 24-09-11 at 05:23 AM.

Ok first pic running
    Still have a little to do and yes they get hot quick will get some more pics later when the halides swicth on and some temp reading
    the shimmering on the floor of the tank is so much better than the halides so heres hoping they work
    Swampy 3 on a 6t is going to be a lot of light I was thinking 4 on the 8t but after initiall looks I think 3 will be plenty

Ray

They look like the real deal Ray. I'll be really interested to read your temp readings and see how your plants respond.

Unfortunately there's been no further progress with mine. I've been spread too thin with work committments etc. They are at least all wired up, so now I just have to fit them to the stands. We have to move house by early Dec' so I'm not setting the tank up till we're settled in a new place, so no rush

Keep up the excellent updates

Ok its still running so I am currently very happy I have taken a few temp readings over the day and seems to be around 50c. of the top of the heatsink
    It is a little difficult to get readings because of the location and it seems to fluctuate a bit but I was thinking that they would be around 60 to 65c, but yes there hot.
    I was getting reading of 170c of the halides when I pionted it at the globe and getting simmilar reading to the led from the top of 50c but that was of the top of the reflector so it hides the halide globe .

I am yet to turn of the fan although I susspect it wont make much of a diference but I am a little sceptical to do so and it is not annoying me as it is so small so not noisy at this stage
    I will try getting a few more readings tomorrow.
    Took a pic of all three lights running today but not happy with it, the LED looked the worst in the pic but when you actually look it is very good compared to the halides if not better
    I have tried cleaning up some of the floating crap and will try again for a better pic tomorrow.

Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast