Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Aquaponics idea

You can use many of your aquarium plants and just grow them emersed. As long as they do not require high humidity levels this will be fine. Even if they do, the humidity above a tank will be somewhat higher than the surroundings so they still may be ok. Plants that have a range that stretches outside tropical regions should do ok. I am growing Bacopa monnieri, HC, Hairgrass, lilaeopsis brisbanica all emersed without any special conditions for humidity and they are all surviving well. I am also growing crypts but they really need humidity so they are struggling in the containers without a closed environment.
    As these are all low growing plants there isn't an issue of support, just lighting. My plants are growing on a window sill with only a couple of hours of direct sun a day. If you have a tank that gets something like this, or if you use hanging lights then they should do fine.
    I was going to do something similar, but as a Wabi-Kusa style with a small pump pushing water into the container then letting it overflow back into the tank, but haven't got round to it mostly because the container I chose was glass and I haven't tried to cut holes in it or design an alternative for the plumbing.
    Denying climate change...priceless

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-Garden-Mini-L

scroll down in the middle of the first page is something similiar to what u have suggested.

This link might be of interest?

Classroom RAS

i have been keen to do something like this for a while, but i could never think a way around the dirt issue haha...
    its such an awesome idea man. i think the whole idea of using plants as filters is rad and sticks to natural style i love in fish tanks.
    thanks for the inspiration man.
    i think i will give it a shot, i only have a small hang on filter but it would be cool....
    i will let you know how it goes, might try it this week while im on holidays...

There are plenty of plants that will survive in your set-up.
    But you need plants that will thrive to maximise uptake.

Float raft is a good technique for indoor aquariums and starting aquaponics.

Bit of foam, cut holes, put small pots in and they soak up the nitrates from the fish beneath

Quote Originally Posted by aterese View Post
    Float raft is a good technique for indoor aquariums and starting aquaponics.

Bit of foam, cut holes, put small pots in and they soak up the nitrates from the fish beneath
    And you were complaining about the cost of running pumps.

Apologies if someone has suggested this & I mis-read / missed it but I'm thinking you might have more plant options if you made it an ebb & flow system. This way you could choose plants that don't like such wet conditions. Use the set up you've described, but put your pump on a timer so that it's not running constantly. This way the plants get watered & then have time to drain before being watered again. As far as I understand expanded clay balls are the lightest aquaponic substrate (in weight I mean). This would be a bonus as other substrates can get very heavy.

Rather than using soils, why don't you just plant those plants you think need soil in the first couple of sections as they are going to be the ones that get the most solid waste (from the fish tank) dumped on them & this will eventually turn into soil / mulm like substance anyway. Plants in the later sections will get less solid waste but will still get liquid waste from the water.

I have my outdoor 'pot pond' & also a paludarium set up in a similar manner. in the pond the pump is run off a solar panel so it runs when the sun is shining & stops when it's not. In the paludarium I run the pump on a timer.

It's a great idea of yours!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12