Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Sand-based CO2 Generating Sub

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    Thanks for posting. Seriously thinking about using this recipe for my panted low teck 8'2'2 that you may have seen me start a journal on. Will the marble chips raise the ph at all as i will be stocking discus?
    Sorry T-Rex... the answer to your questions is, mildly. My water comes out of the tap at 7.8-8.2. I change about 20% every month or so. The tank sits at 6.8-7.2, which I find ideal, even for shrimp.

When the aquarium has some carbonate buffering in it, the bicarbonate ions will combine with the excess hydrogen ions to form carbonic acid (H2CO3) which then slowly breaks down into CO2 and water. Since the excess hydrogen ions are used in the reaction, the pH does not change very much. Over time, as the carbonate ions are used up, the buffering capacity will drop and larger pH changes will be noted. From this it is clear why aquariums with low KH seem unstable - as acid is produced by biological action, the KH is used up; when it is gone, the pH is free to drop rapidly as H+ ions are generated.
    Thanks for all the fish!

Thanks for the reply 2Toned, just wondering how it is that you lower your ph from 7.8 - 8.2 to 6.8 -7.2? Is it a result purely of this substrate or do you do something else like; mix in some RO water or Rain Water with your tap water, add pressurised CO2 to your tank, filter over peat, etc.

The reason I ask is that my Ph out of the tap is the same as yours 7.8+ and I was hoping to avoid buying a RO unit to lower it.

Cheers,

T-Rex,

Good question.

I believe it's the natural result of biological processes; the breakdown of organic matter by bacteria, fish respiration, etc... I know the sand is inert so, that's not it.

Since I moved in Nov, I've been using UGF with a dark gravel substrate. I haven't been checking pH as my pen needed calibrating. I had this done yesterday and checked the tanks, pH across 8 of them ranged from 7.2-8.0. The lowest is the DIY sub, then bare bottom... the 8.0 is the new gravel.

I'll be changing them back to DIY over the next few weeks, as this range is far too high for my shrimp and may account for low shrimplet survival... coupled with the heat.
    Thanks for all the fish!

4. Default

Unreal thread i will be converting my 4ft african display shortley and i think that this will be something that i will do. Brilliant.

I think Iím going one step further and going to reuse the substrate Iíve had for the past one year (using the same recipe) and change the scape. Havenít decided on the plants or the final design of the scape but I will reuse the 6mm gold gravel substrate intact.

My plan is to Ö

Vacuum the existing gravel

Refill the tank with rain water and then let it sit there for about a day

Siphon out the water again. The idea is to take out the nasties as much as possible.

Then scrape off the BBA spots on the glass and maybe spot treat some algae with Glut.

Put some anti parasite medication into the tank as I can see some white worm like creatures lurking on the glass. Iíll much appreciate if anyone can suggest to me a good medication to use in my tank. There could be tiny RCS still inside the tank but I have fished out as much as possible. Will do some more shrimping tonight

Then empty the tank and fill it with more rain water and drain it again to rinse it one more time.

I think after the above process, the tank will be ready for the rescape.

I might put some B&B or native osmocote in ice cubes and put it deep under the gravel to replenish it a bit with the lost nutrients before planting.

I want to part with the tank and go for a slightly bigger one when I find the correct size I want so I will not be going crazy with the rescaping. I only want it to look reasonably good as it is in my living area and house my plants until I find a replacement tank.

Not planning to have any fish in this tank ATM.

I might post a thread on this rescape but not sure at this stage whether it will be any benefit to anyone. I would like to see though how this reused substrate will perform in the long term for the benefit of everyone.

Where would you buy the blood and bone from? I can't seem to find it online... would bunnings have it?
    And instead of using washed propagating sand for the top layer, will pool filter sand do the job? Because I fear that propagating sand may be a little too coarse for corys.
    Last edited by Jolina; 27-04-11 at 08:58 PM.

Blood and bone can be bought at bunnings...so can marble and all other things mentioned in the above awesome recipe.

I haven't used this, but it makes sense. I mean if you think about it, waterways are simply just water on dirt. And plants grow wild in them. And heaps of life. Pity its so hard to replicate this in an aquarium. Having a mobile sun would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolina View Post
    Where would you buy the blood and bone from? I can't seem to find it online... would bunnings have it?
    And instead of using washed propagating sand for the top layer, will pool filter sand do the job? Because I fear that propagating sand may be a little too coarse for corys.
    If you are anywhere close to Craigieburn and willing to pickup, I can give you some. I bought the smallest bag available at Bunnings and still I have almost the whole bag full even after setting up 4 tanks with this method

Thanks that's really generous of you! Too bad I don't live near Craigieburn.. it'll be a long drive up there.
    But wow, how big are the smallest bags they sell?

any gardeners you know are likely to have blood and bone. They could give you a handful!

Hey, it's cheap as chips and will work wonders on your lawns, gardens or pots. Tell mum & dad you saw it on Gardening Australia.

If it's still not good value, dump the rest of it under the bedroom window of your worst neighbour!
    Thanks for all the fish!

Found a 2.5kg bag in Bunnings Pretty cheap so having too much won't hurt. Got some propagating sand also, but I could not find the marble chips.. I asked a few guys, none of them knew and 1 guy tried to find it but failed. Anyone know in which section its in? I went to the nursery and the tiling section but yeah couldn't see any.

It's in the gardening section, ornamental "somethings"!

There's heaps of different stones, gravels, etc... The I buy is called Tuscan Path & comes in fine & medium sizes - either is OK, I use a combination of both. It's there with all the "pretty" coloured decorative stones often used by cactus growers to top off their pots. Unlike the coloured crap, which is coated, the white is REAL marble.

Don't use marble tiles, they're too big and can't give a consistent covering.
    Thanks for all the fish!

Oh what is the name on the package? I went there and saw lots of pebbles and rocks and stuff by Tuscan Path but couldn't find anything labelled 'marble chips'

IT'S THE WHITE ONE!

Please, it really isn't that hard.
    Thanks for all the fish!

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast