Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Insanity Fair

Threadfins will be fine with larger Rainbows as long as they can compete for food. Try use ground pellets/bits so they can get their mouths around it. Love the tank Btw, Any native plants going in?

Sam

This is going to be a lovely tank

Look at those plants! How do you get your outdoor pond heated?
    Happy Planting!
    Mango

OH MY!..........

With that size tank i would stock with at most 5-6 rasboras

any more pics to share ?

Quote Originally Posted by LEG-IT View Post
    more pics ,more!
    The problem is I upload pics to photobucket in the evening, and at home I only have a mobile USB internet stick, so quite slow going.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusEden View Post
    I have no doubt the threadfins would get on with the rainbows - whether the rainbows would get on with them or eat them, I wouldn't know, although Dave did say in another thread recently that they'd hold their own with larger fish as long as they got access to food. They're pretty fast swimmers.
    Thanks DiscusEden, I hope they'd get along. The Praecox are a small rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by 'vspec' View Post
    You got that right!!

You know, some of these threads are shaping up to be crackers of 2011. Im following bud.
    Cheers vspec

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobuzz View Post
    I'm curious now ( he says as if he wasn't before ) but if the tank is a single piece for concrete... How do you see inside? I assume at least one face must be glass? Otherwise it would kind of be a pond not an aquarium?
    Yes, a big glass window in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    Threadfins will be fine with larger Rainbows as long as they can compete for food. Try use ground pellets/bits so they can get their mouths around it. Love the tank Btw, Any native plants going in?

Sam
    Thanks Sam. Will likely have some native plants too. Quite fond of Aponogeton bullosus, amongst others.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-mango View Post
    This is going to be a lovely tank

Look at those plants! How do you get your outdoor pond heated?
    Thanks Stephen, the temporary ponds are 1600 litre cattle trough "seconds" which I got cheap. Built a box out of yellow tongue flooring around each and then a greenhouse roof that slides on and off.

Cold weather.... close the roof. Hot weather.... fully open. Medium weather.... half open. There is a 300W heater in each too and an internal filter (mainly to run CO2). 70% shade cloth. Works quite well. Water is high 20's in summer, mid 20's in winter. Excuse the long grass, has rained most of the last few months.

Actually, I'll have to check them as they've been getting ignored in the wet weather.

Quote Originally Posted by divy View Post
    OH MY!..........

With that size tank i would stock with at most 5-6 rasboras

any more pics to share ?
    Thanks divy, more pictures soon...

So whats next to do on your plans?

Love those ponds! Just curious, does the concrete not affect the PH/hardness of the tank water?

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Love those ponds! Just curious, does the concrete not affect the PH/hardness of the tank water?
    Good point Kara, concrete will disturb the water chemistry. In concrete aquaria the concrete is not in contact with the water because it is painted with epoxy paint.

Quote Originally Posted by divy View Post
    So whats next to do on your plans?
    When deciding on a "concrete" aquarium you've got a few choices:

1. Besser blocks. Easy to build with and cheap. But horrible to waterproof.
    2. Poured concrete in 2 separate pours, one for the floor, and then one for the walls later. Also easy and not too much formwork needed (less than option 4). But you are left with a seam that may leak.
    3. Sprayed concrete (eg shotcrete). Also easy... you get a pro to do the spraying and not as much formwork as option 4 either. But too messy for indoors and probably not practical unless the tank was really big.
    4. Poured concrete in one pour (monolithic). The most work and the most technically challenging. Also the most formwork (need a complete mold). However, IMO by far the best result.

I decided on Option 4. To get concrete to flow through an entire formwork mold would require superflowing (self consolidating) concrete and the formwork has to be very strong.

All those holes were for 10mm threaded rod which will become anchoring points for the formwork:

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinate View Post
    All those holes were for 10mm threaded rod which will become anchoring points for the formwork
    what the hell !! you gotta be joking me ??

I've been quietly following this fascinating thread but now I just can't help telling you dude - you are INSANE

keep it up
    cheers, paul

I Would say this has to be the most anticipated thread seen on this forum, totally awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinate View Post
    Thanks PiL, no lotto win here! Actually most of the "cost" in these projects is your own manhours of labour. But also I currently have no girlfriend (and never been married or had kids), which also seems to free up a bit of cash LOL.
    This is how :P

So how much of this have you actually got finished? I know you're only uploading a bit at a time and mentioned that the project is quite a way along.
    I'll try anything twice.

Quote Originally Posted by nudibranch View Post
    what the hell !! you gotta be joking me ??

I've been quietly following this fascinating thread but now I just can't help telling you dude - you are INSANE

keep it up
    Thanks Paul. I wondered if I might be a bit crazy when I was drilling all those holes. Little did I realise, that was nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by tyson71 View Post
    I Would say this has to be the most anticipated thread seen on this forum, totally awesome.
    Cheers tyson, glad to keep you entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by dollarpots View Post
    So how much of this have you actually got finished? I know you're only uploading a bit at a time and mentioned that the project is quite a way along.
    About 95%. It should have been finished but I got tied up doing other things.

One good thing about working with concrete is that you can use swimming pool fittings which, compared to aquarium fittings, are very good value. Here are 2 (out of 4) return pipes set in place (but not glued yet):

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast