Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valley of the waters.... upgrading my pond

Default Valley of the waters.... upgrading my pond

I have a large pond which has been created by damming a creek at some point in the past. It's around 130m by 50m and quite deep, volume probably greater than 20ML. It's home to quite a few animals including turtles, water birds etc

Water enters through 2 creeks:

The water then flows out through a winding creek which joins up with a third creek:

I have decided to plant around an acre of rainforest trees on one side as the first stage of the upgrade. Then my plan is to build a jetty in amongst the water lillies. Following that I plan to plant trees on the other side. Finally I will address the planting along the shore with native marsh plants.

Looks like my beloved "Bello" aka Bellingen?
    Chardy sippin', bitter, twisted, sour 'ol cow. Do not let your fantasies run away with your capabilities .... you, boy, are NO match for my blow torch! Boguns, you just keep on rollin'

Stage1: reforesting

I live on the caldera formed from Mt Warning and as the area was originally subtropical rainforest the plan is to return the land to this. It would be nice to plant around 1000 trees per year, but I'll see how this lot goes first.

This is the proposed area to plant:

Quote Originally Posted by BettaBetta View Post
    Looks like my beloved "Bello" aka Bellingen?
    No, I'm in McLeans Ridges, inland from Byron Bay. I've been through Bellingen before.

The area looks familiar, are you anywhere near Ballina? I wish I owned something like that. Do you have anyidea what rainforest plants yet?

Edit: I saw your previous post and you are it that area. The area is beutiful, have you ever been to Lake ainsworth?
    Last edited by Matt_95; 03-01-11 at 08:32 PM.
    If practice makes perfect and nobody's perfect then whats the use of trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_95 View Post
    The area looks familiar, are you anywhere near lenox head? I wish I owned something like that. Do you have anyidea what rainforest plants yet?
    Yes! I am 20 min from Lennox. I've actually started planting.... Here are the trees fresh from the Nursery in Burringbar:

It doesn't look like it but there are 1000 trees in the car and trailer combined. There are 15 species for the lower area (wetland) and 38 species for the slope itself.

Are you doing any Melelucas? They grow really well in the boggy area and are native to the area.

No, amongst the planting list there is stuff like Cheese Tree, Red Cedar, Blackbean, White Beech. I left the exact list up to the nursery. It's a mixed reforesting approach, as in a mix of pioneers, secondary, and mature stage trees.

I picked up the trees before I was ready to plant them because I have 2 and a half weeks off each year and the nursery is shut at the same time. So I took the risk that I would get the job done in time. Unfortunately, the weather did the opposite of what I wanted... the first week it rained when I should have been fencing/grass cutting/spraying.... and then when I was ready to start planting it was hot and sunny.

First step was to build a fence to keep the riff raff out:

In the end I gave up on the weather and did the fencing in the rain.

The next job was cutting the grass in rows... they run down the hill because that way I'll be able to mow between the trees until the grass is shadowed out. Unfortunately, I couldn't use the ride-on mower due to either wet weather or rocks, so I did the lot mainly with a brush cutter. Very, very laborious.

The middle of each row was sprayed with glyphosate. I'm not keen on using herbicides but you have to weigh up the benefits vs the risk, and there is no way 1 man is going to get 1000 trees established without it.

Cool, good luck, if you need any help planting around september let me know and I would love to help. Do you know what fish live in there?

wow ambitious bud, im am so subscribing to this thread, going to turn into a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by 'vspec' View Post
    wow ambitious bud, im am so subscribing to this thread, going to turn into a beauty.
    here here!
    thank you for sharing your transformation with us
    p.s. lovin the photos!

If you need help in planting maybe contacting wollongbar tafe as you maybe able to get some help for free. My brother in-law is a rain forest nut and just finished a course in regen last year. His class went onto his workplace (the blueberry farm near alstonville) and help rip out all the weeds running along the riverbank etc.

Have you had those lilies identified, they look like Nymphaea caerulea an African import. If you are going to get the pond back to native plants and fish it may be difficult stopping the weed species reinvading if you manage to rid them from in the pond and upstream. I can help with some reference material. Can you name the main river the creek runs into (maybe Wilson's Creek). There may be a species list for the region somewhere on the books or even the ANGFA database. Adrian Tappin has a massive personal database of material about aquatic habitats, I can ask him for you if you like. He may have some old environmental surveys of the area. I used to play in Wilson's Creek when I was young, back in the early 60's, I grew up in Lismore. There are some really nice fish in Wilson's Creek. You may have Australian Bass in the pond, that would be nice. The book by Geoff Sainty and Surrey Jacobs "Waterplants of NSW" should be a help with restoring the area back to native. What are the trres in the orchards in that district, some sort of nut? Good luck with your project.

Cheers
    Dave

Fish List - a start - (from Richmond River) I'll add to it as I find more.

Ambassis agassizii - Olive Perchlet
    Ambassis marianus - Estuary Perchlet (may not penetrate that far inland)
    Anguilla australis - Short-finned Eel
    Arius graffei - Lesser Salmon Catfish
    Gambusia holbrooki - Plague Minnow (weed species to be eradicated if possible)
    Gobiomorphus australis - Striped Gudgeon
    Gobiomorphus coxii - Cox`s Gudgeon
    Hypseleotris compressa - Empire Gudgeon
    Hypseleotris galii - Firetail Gudgeon
    Macquaria novemaculeata - Australian Bass
    Melanotaenia duboulayi - Crimson-spotted Rainbowfish
    Myxus petardi - Freshwater Mullet
    Nannoperca oxleyana - Oxleyan Pygmy Perch
    Notesthes robusta - Bullrout
    Philypnodon grandiceps - Flathead Gudgeon
    Pseudomugil signifer - Pacific Blue-eye
    Retropinna semoni - Australian Smelt