Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Valley of the waters.... upgrading my pond

Yup, typical on a tool failure somewhere along the line.
    Last project i worked on, the drill gave out and was forced to buy a new item mid screw.

Love the quick release fitting!.

Quote Originally Posted by 'vspec' View Post
    Love the quick release fitting
    Yes, it was the quickest way I could find in Bunnings to connect the 3 hoses.

The trees have been blessed with wet weather, so far the survival rate is around 100%

I've been following with great interest and a modicum of envy... this is a fabulous enterprise!

I thought the following clip from Gardening Australia on Deep Root Planting might be of interest to you. Sorry the current job's nearly complete, but maybe you could try this on the next 1000 http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s3019307.htm

BTW - what is a Pumpkinate? Is it like a sultanate, but bigger?
    Thanks for all the fish!

Interesting article there 2Toned. I always err on the side of planting deeper than shallower but I never knew you could plant that deep.

I recounted today and it turns out I've got 850 trees planted, more than I thought. Will continue next weekend. Probably fenced closer to 1.5acres.

Someone once asked me if I had/ruled my own country what would I call myself... "The Pumpkinate of Sultan" sounds good. It turns out that pumpkinate (and I never knew this) is also American for "to slowly fall asleep".

I'm well familiar with Clovelly... I came from Tamarama. Used to run from Tamarama along the coastal track to Coogee every day.

I moved to Tamarama in November last year... Ashley St. Aint it grand? Know your run very well. Though I tend to walk it and... crawl home, if there's no cabs about.

Those Americans, so... bodacious! I prefer "The Pumpkinate of... "

Do try the planting method. I've been planting on a mate's place in the Lower Hunter and the results are amazing.

Cheers
    Thanks for all the fish!

I've probably walked past you at some stage. Still visit Sydney a lot, my parents still live in Tamarama. I used to hang around at Aqua Pets in the past, especially in the Horst era. Should meet up some time.

Next time you're in town, give me a call. I'll PM my number.
    Thanks for all the fish!

OK, there wasn't much wrong with the auger... just a carbonised spark plug from a too oil-rich fuel mix. And I had actually pulled the spark plug out, thought it looked a bit black but otherwise OK, and put it back again!

Heres another pic from last weekend showing how far the auger goes in... hot, sweaty work:

Also, a thumbs up for the guys at Burringbar Rainforest Nursery. They emailed to enquire how their plants are liking the new home. One of them wants to come and see them at some stage! The business reminds me of a terrestrial version of Aquagreen (and I've visited that too).

Living one of my dreams... anywho looks great and just think if you had of gone for asian tools they might not have even got that far into the job. The fish in the lake sound fascinating are you going to leave it the way it is. Also are you considering expanding the revegeted section in the future to run all along the bank. I'll keep watching this thread with great interest.

Cheers, the plan is to progressively plant more and more, starting around the waterways. I hope to do about a thousand trees a year. My only non-natural plan for the pond is a jetty/deck, which I'll be starting soon.

Here is the project today:

So far the trees are going well (better than 99% survival). They are planted about 2m apart in rows that are also approx 2m apart. The thousand trees took me to the two trees by the water (going from right to left). I need to plant the rest of the area and have started cutting more rows. I haven't cut the grass between rows yet as I figure I'll wait till the trees are established first.

The trees planted in January are coming along well. The main problem has been keeping the grass cut (kudos to my father who has been busy with a brushcutter), it got to 2 metres a few months ago. The other problems have been cattle incursions despite the electric fence and grazing by bandicoots (they seem to dig at the base and eat the roots).

Might not look much from a distance:

But up close you can see the growth:

The largest trees are now around 2m tall. The most impressive growers are the Brown Currajong, which were the size of a fist (or smaller) in January:

Red Cedars also grow fast.
    Last edited by Pumpkinate; 25-06-11 at 11:41 AM.

Also went for a walk along the creeks this morning and was surprised at how much life is around for mid winter.

The dam had around 40 birds on it:

Upstream along this treed section there were glass shrimp sauntering about:

There was a big splash when I walked past this, maybe an Eastern Dragon:

A 30cm fish has got stranded in this pool:

Saw a big eel in this other creek:

Also, a variety of aquatic/marsh plants around.

Aponogeton distachyos?

Wolffia? It had very small leaves (much smaller than the duckweed you usually see). Also Azolla pinnata.

Not sure what this is in the centre. ?Potamogeton octandus:

Or this:

This stuff is growing all over the place, in and out of the water:

The trees around here all have this stuff on them:

Last edited by Pumpkinate; 25-06-11 at 12:18 PM.

very nice, i bet you would have some platypus in those streams as well.

Did you see what the 30cm fish was?

Hey Pumpkin,

What a beautiful place... certainly looks like the usual destinations for my long weekends away

Anyway,

Pic 3 is Ottelia ovalifolia (aka Swamp Lily)

Pic 6 is Ludwigia peploides ssp. montevidensis (aka Water Primrose)

the other pics I'll need close-ups to id..

Great work with the plantings and thanks for sharing the photos.

Cheers,

Johnnie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast