Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Valley of the waters.... upgrading my pond

I have one of them, I got it from lake ainsworth which has at least 3 introduced species. It has blue flowers and submerged leaves are green with red spots. The flowers after they die grow a new plant.

Hope that helps.
    If practice makes perfect and nobody's perfect then whats the use of trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_95 View Post
    Cool, good luck, if you need any help planting around september let me know and I would love to help. Do you know what fish live in there?
    Thanks Matt, that's a very kind offer! I should be right to finish this lot but September may well line up with the next stage (the other side). I may take you up on your offer.

There are a lot of fish in there... I've only had the property for 18 months and haven't investigate the waterways yet. I haven't even got the house fully furnished which is a bit pathetic. The pond has constant ripples from fish breaking the surface. There are fish which are I estimate to be 40-50cm long. I think they may be Bass. Also lots of smaller fish which at some stage I'll trap. There are said to be platypus in one of the creeks but I can't confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by 'vspec' View Post
    wow ambitious bud, im am so subscribing to this thread, going to turn into a beauty.
    Thanks mate, I am a bit ambitious... realised today that I'd fenced off more than an acre so will be planting more than the 1000 trees. My aquarium project I'm working on is also a bit ambitious... will start a thread on that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by foti View Post
    here here!
    thank you for sharing your transformation with us
    p.s. lovin the photos!
    Thanks foti! I have plenty more photos to come.

Quote Originally Posted by BettaMan View Post
    If you need help in planting maybe contacting wollongbar tafe as you maybe able to get some help for free. My brother in-law is a rain forest nut and just finished a course in regen last year. His class went onto his workplace (the blueberry farm near alstonville) and help rip out all the weeds running along the riverbank etc.
    Great advice BettaMan, I should be OK for this lot but I'll probably try to get help for future expansions. Someone also mentioned trying SCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Have you had those lilies identified, they look like Nymphaea caerulea an African import. If you are going to get the pond back to native plants and fish it may be difficult stopping the weed species reinvading if you manage to rid them from in the pond and upstream. I can help with some reference material. Can you name the main river the creek runs into (maybe Wilson's Creek). There may be a species list for the region somewhere on the books or even the ANGFA database. Adrian Tappin has a massive personal database of material about aquatic habitats, I can ask him for you if you like. He may have some old environmental surveys of the area. I used to play in Wilson's Creek when I was young, back in the early 60's, I grew up in Lismore. There are some really nice fish in Wilson's Creek. You may have Australian Bass in the pond, that would be nice. The book by Geoff Sainty and Surrey Jacobs "Waterplants of NSW" should be a help with restoring the area back to native. What are the trres in the orchards in that district, some sort of nut? Good luck with your project.

Cheers
    Dave
    Thanks Dave,

I don't know what the waterlillies are but they have very large leaves, a lot around 40cm in diameter. They grow in water up to 2m depth. Here's a pic from today:

I would like to get the waterways back to natives. The creek becomes Pearces Creek I think as it crosses the boundary (but this is probably arbitrary). I'll find out where it ultimately drains. Any advice re environmental surveys etc would be seriously invaluable. As mentioned above, I think I have Bass but haven't done a survey yet. I've seen eels and turtles. The creeks have lots of glass shrimp as well. The banks have numerous water dragons. I've seen Green Tree Frogs, Striped Marsh Frogs, Bleating Tree Frogs, Dwarf Tree Frogs as well. Bird life... cormorants, ducks, moorhens, sea eagles, herons, actually many different birds pass through.

The tree holes were made using an auger:

My approach to tools is that if you are going to use something once or twice then Chinese is OK but if you plan to use something 100's or 1000's of times go European. The auger is a vicious beast! When it runs into a rock it will break either the rock or you! The bit is a specific planting auger, 150mm diameter. The holes are about 500mm deep.

i cant wait to see this progress!

Thanks Evicene.

Supplies are brought down in a Forester, which seems appropriate:

Trees are carried in a tray that holds 50:

A glutton for punishment is what you are Pumpkin! I need a G&T after reading Dave's list
    Chardy sippin', bitter, twisted, sour 'ol cow. Do not let your fantasies run away with your capabilities .... you, boy, are NO match for my blow torch! Boguns, you just keep on rollin'

Water is pumped from the pond itself through an 70m long fire hose:

Here's my father refuelling the pump:

At the end of the fire hose it divides into two garden hoses which makes the job easier:

Quote Originally Posted by BettaBetta View Post
    A glutton for punishment is what you are Pumpkin! I need a G&T after reading Dave's list
    You are right Di. I need a G&T after a day of planting. It would have been better to wait a month for the grass to rot away but because I'm doing this in a hurry I have to contend with the grass stubble... when you sweep soil back into each hole the stubble stabs you under the finger nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinate View Post
    You are right Di. I need a G&T after a day of planting. It would have been better to wait a month for the grass to rot away but because I'm doing this in a hurry I have to contend with the grass stubble... when you sweep soil back into each hole the stubble stabs you under the finger nails.
    I needed the G&T from reading all those eeewwww natives. Umm, get yourself a good pair of thick but supple wrangler's gloves, they'll save the fingernails, says she who's been on a farm most of her life & speaks from experience.
    Chardy sippin', bitter, twisted, sour 'ol cow. Do not let your fantasies run away with your capabilities .... you, boy, are NO match for my blow torch! Boguns, you just keep on rollin'

You know those natives are good for you, just like eating your vegies.

Fair comment about gloves... I did another few hours in the rain today and came in with a cold back and sore fingers.

I'm using mulch mats made out of recycled fibres. They look like carpet underlay:

Also using Agriform fertiliser tablets:

I lay out a mulch mat and a fertiliser tablet next to each hole:

The planting involves half filling the hole with water, tipping the soil back in, put the plant in with the fertiliser next to it, mulch mat and water.

The bamboo stakes are not used for supporting the plant, they are to identify where each plant is in the instance that you get lazy with the mowing and end up with 6' grass

and it begins.....

that is awesome! although my back hurts just looking at all that work O.O

Thanks guys. I ran into trouble today, with 250 plants to go (and back to work on monday). My auger has developed engine trouble (and after I made a comment about buying European too!). I fiddled with it but wasn't willing to actually disassemble it because it's under warranty. Ended up doing a few more trees using a water pressure blaster as a water lance to blast holes in the ground... worked quite well but leaves the trees sitting in very loose mud. Will leave the rest till next weekend once the auger is fixed. Will need to prepare more rows and order more trees anyway.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast