Thread: LED Strip Lighting Instead of Fluro ( HELP lol )

Default LED Strip Lighting Instead of Fluro ( HELP lol )

Thanks to the Post by coo-ee and his Fish Room it got me thinking about my 14 Tanks I have in the Garage. Was looking on ebay for the best priced Fluro's and because I have 2 Rows of Tanks I'd need Four 1200mm Fluro's for a single row of lights. The Strip LED Lights sound perfect as its not like I need to grow plants or have the tanks on Display, just for my viewing as they are Breeding Tanks.

Can anyone help me with which I would be Better buying from these ebay Sellers

Option# 1
    5m cool White SMD 3528 Flexible Strip 300 LEDs 500cm for around $26 Delivered

this would do Both Rows as the Unit is only 2200 Long. I'd possibly Buy 2 and have 2 Strips above each Tank. Only Concern it does say Non-Waterproof but above the Tanks wouldn't be getting wet.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    LED Type: 3528 PLCC-2 SMT SMD LED (Non-Waterproof)
    Color: WHITE
    LED Quantity: 300 leds/5 Meter or 60 leds/Meter
    Size: L500cm (5M) x W0.8cm x T0.25cm
    Package: 5 Meters / Reel
    View angle:120
    Working Input Voltage: 12VDC
    Working Current/meter: 0.4A
    Output power: 24W /5 Meter
    Luminous Flux: 270-300 Lumens/Meter
    Working Tempreture:-20 to 50
    Water Proof: IP65
    Drive Mode:Contant Voltage

Other Option would be
    100cm White 60-LED Flexible Neon Strip Light 3528 3528W around $8.00 Delivered
    Here I could join 2 along the Length. Does say Waterproof so my Guess it this is the Better Buy.

Any Better Options would be most appreciated

Ken
    Brisbane Kennel Builder
    www.buildmykennel.com

Ok,

I can offer you my limited insight as I have tried this idea for my tanks. One being a Fluval Edge and the other being my 3ft Angel Breeding Tank.

I was suffering alot with algae in my Angel tank until I started using LEDS and have since had no further issues.

I am using what appears to be the roll LED's you describe from ebay. Mine came in a 5m roll and I just cut it to size, solder in some wires, silicone up the ends and presto watertight.

I have some photos of a Fluval Edge one I am currently sealing which I will post up and some my finished one in the Angel tank.

I use a DC Convertor which I got for $14 to power them. Its actually really easy to set up. I use double sided tape to hold them all in place. Try and find the best one you can as it holds the best. I have also heard of velcro being used.

This is the LED Lights on my Fluval Edge

The LED strips for a Fluval Edge wired but not siliconed

The soldering on the strips

The LED strips can be pushed out of their casing for easier wiring and siliconing

The wiring set up on my Fluro Light Casing for the LEDs 1

The wiring set up on my Fluro Light Casing for the LEDs 2

The wiring set up on my Fluro Light Casing for the LEDs 3

The output of the LEDs

The LED's only lighting the Angel Tank

The LEDs and the Fluro lighting the Angel Tank

The Fluro alone lighting the Angel Tank

The roll of LED lighting

If you need any more help of advice please ask. I set these up with the help of an electrician (friend) and have been working great. I am currently awaiting the arrival of blue LED's to try night lights.

Good luck and I hope this has helped you.

Excellent Post Chris, hopefully others will see how great the Strip Lighting is, I have done my Rack of 14 Tanks and More then happy with the amount of light given. Now waiting on the Multi Colour version complete with Remote LOL for the Pond/Deck area
    Brisbane Kennel Builder
    www.buildmykennel.com

It is amazing the amount of light they give off really. There is a version of the LED strips that has 1 + terminal and 3 - Terminals allowing you to soldering in what you amount of light you required. Subsequently you could solder in 3 + wires and 3 individual - wires connecting them to individual switches allowing you to control the amount of light being output.

I am hoping my blue LED's arrive shortly so I can start my night light project. I am currently trying to sort out a way to build an LED Light bar housing all the LED's and switches. Once I have figured this all out I will post up a tutorial and the final product.

dude, just buy LED fluro tubes or whatever they are called, im doing a convert at the moment for my 620T, if i remember this post ill link you guys to the project. - they are sick as they dont need starter or ballast which heat your tank!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBricks View Post
    ... im doing a convert at the moment for my 620T, if i remember this post ill link you guys to the project.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-Upgrade/page2