Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plasma TV - worth repairing?

Default Plasma TV - worth repairing?

Today our 4-5 year old 50" Panasonic plasma stopped working. I am wondering with prices being so cheap nowadays is it even worth bothering with a repair?

We paid almost $3000 for it in 2006. but a similar model is now under a $1000.

It was working fine last night, turned it on this morning, we have sound but the picture doesn't come on, we get a bit of an image and it breaks up and goes black. It isn't just free to air tv, the same thing happens on the AV channel. I tried to get the DVD to play and it's the same thing....

It would probably be worth having it looked at - it might just be something really simple and cheap to fix, or it might not be, but at least you'd know for sure. You will of course be without a TV for at least a couple of weeks while waiting for it to be assessed / repaired (its really not the best time of year to try and get any sort of work done).

Then again if your budget allows for it you could just get yourself a nice new one and decide later if you're going to bother trying to get the old one fixed. If its an easy fix and you don't have the space to 2 big TVs then the old (repaired) TV would probably make a welcome donation to the local preschool / community group etc.

disgraceful how much prices fall isn't it. If only we had the original patience and hindsight.
    Yeah i agree, a car trip to someone can give you 50% chance you'll walk away happy. Not bad odds!

If you find someone to pull it down and provide a quote for free you will be lucky. Considering you would be most likely told it will cost min few hundred probably min 500 then it's not worth the hassle. Spend a little more and get a new one with a warranty.

Sure it's 50/50 but which way will it fall?

get rid of the plasma and put a 50" tank in instead =)

then its 100% win~
    Don't EVER take me seriously... I don't really know what I am talking about...

get a new one, chances are the older plasmas chew through quite a lot of power.
    see if the newer models have better power consumption, you'll end up saving more this way especially with the constant increases in electricity.

an LED lit tv will cost you a fraction of the cost of a plasma to run. with the price of electrickery up 30% you'd be better off in the long run too.

not saying that tv repairmen are dodgy, but even if it's a cheap fix you'll be slugged a lot. or then there's the old, "cant be fixed" then you find it for sale 2nd hand somewhere down the road.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

I would suggest to get a new TV, the reason is because TV are cheap these days and it gives urself an excuse for an "upgrade"... plus TV repairs cost few hundred bucks... when it comes to TV mate, once they fix one part, the other part will be broken soon... just how it rolls in electronics i think...

They don't build to last, i think they develop a product in mind that people are changing it every 5 years... Have you noticed that a new phone only last around 2 years these days? not like the old Nokia 3210 still running smooth as a spare phone lol

I would say to get a new one because a quote will cost around $60-$70 and since theres no picture and being plasma to repair it will be around $300-$500 and then if you do get it repaired theres no warrenty as such and you dont know if they used dodgy parts or there workmanship is dodgy (ie bad wiring= fire)

Also to be honest these days 4-5 years for a plasma is pretty good not like a tube tv that could last 20 years
    it sucks cause now companys are all about quick turn over and high profit and not being proud of there quality

If you dop decide to get a new one i would suggest looking at LCD and LED they are ''suppose'' to last a little longer and also as others said lower power consumption

Yeah, it would seem like a waste spending $100 on a quote only to be told it would cost $500 more to fix. I do have a friend who repairs old skool CRT type monitors/tvs. I might ask him if he does Plasma's, but I don't think he does. I know he hates them, as well as LCDs, he also said a good CRT will outlast any new flat panel anyday of the week!

I remember when I got mine i thought there is no way they will come doen any cheaper then $3000! I thought they had hit rock bottom!

Maybe it is a good time to upgrade to a Full HD model, mine is only HD.

First rule of consumer electronics:
    If it's not under warranty and it goes wrong, bin it.

*Any* money spent on any electronic device '4-5 years old' is money down the crapper.

Unfortunately you have to add to landfill somewhere, unless you can find someone who recycles electronic stuff.
    -
    7ft planted tank, ~250 fish/500l barrel, ~8 fish, 1500l pond ~ 50 fish, 4 frog ponds
    Nikon D800E with 105mm Macro, remote SB-600 flashes
    Cam: http://polyforms.dyndns.org
    login: fish/swimming

Not sure what the draw is on normal tv's, however my projector pulls about 280w and i use it every day regardless of potential rise in electricity.
    It is what it is, im not living in a cave, so i tend to enjoy the entertainment regardless.

Last time i took one of my german loewe tv's to be repaired it was worth it. Same thing, the screen went. That particular tv is with my kids now & its still running. Considering the sh^t they would put it through, that in itself is a miracle.
    However it's prob a testament to a decent quality build.

Technology is out dating itself pretty easy these days, id say its your call. If you could get it looked at for free your laughing.

I may have spoken too soon. I thought I'd plug the Plasma back in and give it a try just before. What do you know, it works. I am not going to assume it is 100% working just yet, I'll let it run for awhile before putting it all back and spending a few hours plugging all the home theatre gear back in! But she is running perfectly as I type....

I have just had my second LG TV fail immediately after it is out of warranty.

Put you on to the service technicians who charge $66 to access if I take it to them and $99 if they come here. Probably cost is around 160 labour and parts around $200 - $300. Hence repair cost is probably around $460.

I will be buying a new one and a different brand.

Anyone care to suggest a decent brand TV?

I have a new 42" Samsung LED for my bedroom. A lot cheaper than Sony/Panasonic/Sharp, fraction more expensive than LG. But in terms of picture quality, i think it's a lot better than LG, and compatible to the high-end brands! Give Samsung a go.... i think it's worth the money!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast