Thread: Problem finding a thread? Use google

Default Problem finding a thread? Use google

There is an ongoing problem with the search function since the forum upgrade, until the issue is resolved one of the best way to get results is to search the site through google.

1. Go to google.com
    2. Before you type any search terms, type in "site:www.aquariumlife.com.au" without the "" (this will make the results specific to our site only)
    3. Leave a space then put in your search terms (eg. Solomon 20cm tank)
    4. Press "google search"

for another example try this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:aquariumli...+search+engine

Fabulous idea, but how to remember all that computer speak huh? I get lost after "site:" it's not easy remembering hypens, spaces etc not to mention typing out such a huge string of characters without an error.

Google should jolly well have it on their home page a "Search site: " icon with pre-emtive text so all we have to start typing is Aquarium ..... or eBa.......
    Chardy sippin', bitter, twisted, sour 'ol cow. Do not let your fantasies run away with your capabilities .... you, boy, are NO match for my blow torch! Boguns, you just keep on rollin'

but how to remember all that computer speak huh?
    You could just copy and paste it from this thread or http://tinyurl.com/25vqjph and just type the terms you are searching afterwards.

Laughing loudly - you, you, you just wait until you get old & doddery young man, THEN and only then will you understand what we go through!
    Chardy sippin', bitter, twisted, sour 'ol cow. Do not let your fantasies run away with your capabilities .... you, boy, are NO match for my blow torch! Boguns, you just keep on rollin'

I think we need better breadcrumbs and a more logical forum (topic) layout.

I have no idea why DIY or Equipment etc are under "Specific Planted Forums" or why there is a special forum for dwarf cichlids and another for fish (that is under plants).

On a similar note, the HOME button seems to take us nowhere useful and the top left button position should be the FORUM top page which is used much more.
    Last edited by aquaholic99; 21-07-11 at 05:16 PM.

bump......

Bah humbug ... I just tried the google method to try to find pics of Plantnut's cube trio to show another member & this is what it came up with, a total waste of time & effort .... I searched site: www.aquariumlife.com.au plantnut cubes

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=go...w=1093&bih=362

As for cutting & pasting the tinyurl thingie above, that's all well & good but, first, I'd have to find this thread in order to find that link, and how is one supposed to even attempt to find a thread, even when google fails. Shakes head, it's way too complicated, hit and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by BettaBetta View Post
    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=go...w=1093&bih=362

As for cutting & pasting the tinyurl thingie above, that's all well & good but, first, I'd have to find this thread in order to find that link, and how is one supposed to even attempt to find a thread, even when google fails. Shakes head, it's way too complicated, hit and miss.
    Might want to fix the spelling above and you'll get better search results Try-

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...82l1.4.1.1l7l0

Secondly, weren't you the one wanting stickies everywhere? Well, this thread is a sticky

You could always bookmark the link

Hope that helps
    MJ.
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Well slap my a$$ and call me Cindy, fancy leaving out a "u" at 2.00am, how terribly careless of me.

MJ basic stickies on how to save a fish i.e. the last one that died, a Saratoga swimming around in ammonia of 1 and Nitreate of 100 is a little different to a sticky on how to do an alternative search for something that doesn't function properly, don't ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by BettaBetta View Post
    Well slap my a$$ and call me Cindy, fancy leaving out a "u" at 2.00am, how terribly careless of me.

MJ basic stickies on how to save a fish i.e. the last one that died, a Saratoga swimming around in ammonia of 1 and Nitreate of 100 is a little different to a sticky on how to do an alternative search for something that doesn't function properly, don't ya think?
    Either way the onus is on the member to read them, look how many posts we get on not being able to access the BSS forum. There are stickies in each state sub forum and the main forum as well as plenty of threads.