Thread: Colloidal Silver safe for fish tanks???

Default Colloidal Silver safe for fish tanks???

We recently had an unknown contamination of our rain water tank (rainwater is our sole source of water) which made the water smell foul. We had a company come out and clean the sludge off the bottom of the tank and sanitise the water with colloidal silver. The water is now safe to use and drink again (despite my paranoia, I've been drinking it for a week now and havn't died yet).
    My only question is, does anyone know if my water could now have a negative impact on my fish tank? Apparently, collidal silver at a certain percentage is a natural disinfectant, and kills harmful microbes and parasites including giardia etc. It's safe for human consumption (at the recommended levels of course) but given we rely on a good bacteria population in our tanks ecosystem to maintain balance, Is it likely that using my water for water changes could cause problems? Bearing in mind of course that I'm not adding colloidal silver directly to the tank, merely using water that has been treated with CS to kill harmful bacteria and parasites and make it safe for human consumption.

It is very safe for Fish, Plant and Shrimp, I have used it for years.

Donkey's years ago it was used instead of antibiotics or before they were discovered more to the point, so go for it.

Bob

Awesome. Thanks

I think it still begs the question - will it kill the existing bio in the tank / filter leaving a system that it unable to cope with the nitrogen cycle.

No idea of course - but if it kills bacteria then I guess it kills bacteria and will kill you bio filter, even if it is safe for fish folk.

Question is does it dissipate after a while? And if so should you wait a week or two before using in the tank.

Or will it impact the bio filter at all.

More info please northboy - PS - what do you use if for. A kind of sterlising agent??

Colloidal Silver if taken for long enough will turn your skin color Blue...it's true that it was used as an antibiotic
    I am surprised they used it in tank cleaning though...depending on the amount used which i couldn't imagine to be a lot,no harm should come of it to your fish

Wicked we can look like the Narvi on Avatar

I have never had any side effects and yes I would think it would nail you filter but all antibiotics will and it water changes out easy unlike Copper.

I use it for harder to treat problems like the sores on Rainbow fish.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by cory1 View Post
    Colloidal Silver if taken for long enough will turn your skin color Blue...it's true that it was used as an antibiotic
    I am surprised they used it in tank cleaning though...depending on the amount used which i couldn't imagine to be a lot,no harm should come of it to your fish
    Yes, it's a condition called Argyria, but it's uncommon and usually happens to people who take very high doses of Colloidal Silver daily for years apparently. Apparently what you take the silver with (ie. tap water, some add baking soda too) can cause chemical reactions that multiply the potency of the silver to the point it can cause argyria - I read it's meant only to be mixed with demineralised water. At water sanitising levels it's completely safe. (All this I have found out today after research, before today I'd never even heard of colloidal silver )
    Given the fact that my 5 foot has very little bioload thus far, is only a month old, and is heavily planted, it hasn't even cycled yet so I suppose i don't have to worry about it killing off nitrifying bacteria just yet!
    Last edited by Kara; 24-05-10 at 07:53 PM.

demineralised water is what it is made in, panic not all will be good.
    Do you know Sam and Stewart F. in Gatton they are big fish keepers and breeders, they live right in town, or did 4 years ago?

Bob

Kara i know a person who did just that and is permanently blue...he is a naturapath and was trying to prove the color thing was reversible
    My wife and i call him Blue Boy

Quote Originally Posted by cory1 View Post
    Kara i know a person who did just that and is permanently blue...he is a naturapath and was trying to prove the color thing was reversible
    My wife and i call him Blue Boy
    No way! I'm guessing it's not reversible?

Quote Originally Posted by northboy View Post
    demineralised water is what it is made in, panic not all will be good.
    Do you know Sam and Stewart F. in Gatton they are big fish keepers and breeders, they live right in town, or did 4 years ago?

Bob
    No sorry, don't know them. Only been out here couple years myself, and Gattons growing a bit bigger these days.

Kara you guessed right it's permanent..blue skin and white hair,come to think of it he kinda looks like a Smurf